Kindle > Paperwhite

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by KyleS1, Aug 28, 2013.

1. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Have many people migrated from a regular kindle to a paperwhite?
    How did you find the reading experience?
    The main reason I bought a kindle in the first place was that the screen doesn't give me eye strain like an iPad etc, so wondered if having a light in the kindle has caused anyone any kind of eye strain? I work on computers ALL day, so eye strain can be an issue.

2. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I migrated late last year. Under normal daylight conditions (or on hols) you wouldn't use the backlight so there'd be no additional eye strain.

The benefit of the Paperwhite comes when you want to read in low light or in bed and can use the backlight instead of one of the optional add-on lights for the "ordinary" Kindle. I used a light with my previous Kindle and while it did the job, the batteries were forever running out and the additional weight gave a slightly unbalanced feel.

3. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Thanks for the reply.
    Currently I read with the light on at night, but the other half is not best pleased. I fully prepared to upgrade to the paperwhite but just want to ensure it doesn't cause any eye strain like using backlit screens in tablets etc.

Is the reading experience ok?

4. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Also, does anyone know if there are any plans for a new kindle any time soon? How long has the paperwhite been out?

5. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    My GF's just bought me one for my birthday as I was banging on about reading on my iPad. I don't have a problem with the light on the iPad, although I usually turn it down in the dark. The problem is it's bog and relatively heavy and the screen isn't great in sunlight.

The Kindle, in contrast, is great in daylight, and the screen is much whiter than my GF's Kindle Touch. I find the backlight very good and highly adjustable. No buttons (apart from the main on/off on the bottom edge) and the touch sensitivity seems n=much better than the Touch. Also, even in a case, it's light as a feather.

if there's a downside, it doesn't have an earphone socket so no audio files, but that's not a problem for me.

6. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Thanks for your reply.
    I love my current Kindle and much prefer it to my iPad for reading. I think I am going to take the plunge, but there are rumours a new one is going to be announced this month or next, so I may hold on.
    Everything I have read praises the paperwhite, so think I will get one with the light, whether it be the current one or the new one if there is one.

Cheers

7. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Amazon now has the "new improved" Paperwhite available for preorder, at the same price as the current model has been selling at.

After a quick look at the specs, I've put my order in. If last year's anything to go by, the new version will be increasingly difficult to get hold of as it gets nearer to Christmas.

8. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Thanks, I just pre-ordered too. Worth a punt.

9. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    Ah, interesting. When my GF was looking for one around 10 days ago it was really hard to find the WiFi-only model - plenty of 3G ones around.

We eventually found one in a nearby Argos. At the time Amazon just had none available - I should have twigged :facepalm:

Still, I'm enjoying using it....

10. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    I doubt you would notice the difference anyway. I have the bog standard one at the moment, so hoping its a decent upgrade.
    The whole "release a new one every year" is built into me now from owning Apple products for the last 5 years, so I always do a cursory search to see if there are any rumours of a new one. Annoyingly the rumour mills were saying they would release a colour one, so was kinda hoping for one of those. Ho hum. :)

11. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    The new kindle has just been dispatched. :)

Any recommendations for a case for the new paperwhite?

12. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Yes mine's on its way too. I use one of these to keep the Kindle in when I'm not using it because I don't like the extra weight of a case:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Neop...2-fkmr2&keywords=belkin+neoprene+kindle+pouch

My sister, who does like a case, uses one of these and likes it so much she's ordered one for her husband to use when he inherits her current Paperwhite (as soon as she gets her hands on her new one):

Amazon Kindle Paperwhite Leather Cover, Ink Blue (will only fit Kindle Paperwhite): Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store

13. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Thanks.
    I'm toying with the idea of the official case, but it just seems a lot of money. My current case which I really like cost about £8. Just cant find a paperwhite version.

14. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    Looks like the same one I have for mine - although it came from Argos for a quid less.

I'm very impressed with it so far, but I admit it's not cheap. The whole of the top surface is uncovered - unlike some of the older type that are held in with small elastic straps that cover the corners, for example.

15. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    It looks good, and I was tempted, but I opted for one with a stand built in as I do a fair amount of travelling on the eurostar back and forwards to Paris now, and its nice to have it standing on the tray while I read.

16. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    I'd be interested to know if the new version tells you how many pages you have left in the chapter.

Mine tells me how much time left, but (unless I'm missing something) not how many pages. That's the only thing I miss over my iPad/iBooks app.

17. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Will let you know.
    Have you checked if there is a software update for yours?

18. BT Bob

BT Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,154
    I have and it's at the latest version (5.3.8).

Best I can manage is from the top bar menu to hit the Go To option to see where the next chapter starts. Do-able, but a bit of a pain.... :(

19. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    I would imagine mine and yours will be running the same software.

20. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Well bugger me, I get home from a week away for work, and see my new kindle on the side. I open it up and :mad::mad::mad: there is a dead pixel! Now got to send this one back and wait for a new one. I'm going away for another week for work on Monday. Looks like I wont be using my new kindle!

21. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    I can't say I have noticed this feature. I do like the minutes left though as you can pretty much work it out from there.

I ended up buying this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/-/dp/B008BQH36O - after the one with the built in stand arrived and it was incredibly thick. I decided I wanted something thinner and more sleek and so far am loving the amazon case even if it is really pricey!

22. christam

christam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Having lived without a case for the past couple of years of Kindle usage - I used pouches instead - I changed my mind after having another look at my sister's case and ended up getting the Amazon case too. The extra weight isn't really an issue and I must say I really like it, can't think why I didn't get one sooner!

23. KyleS1

KyleS1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,772
    Yeah they seem really good quality, lovely and sleek and you have the peace of mind that the kindle is protected. I like the magnetic on/off feature too. Pricey though. My last case was about £10.