Kindle Fire any good as ereader?

Discussion in 'General Tech & Gadget Forums' started by Cunny, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Cunny

Cunny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Can anyone with experience of the Kindle Fire tell me if it's any good as an ereader?
    I have an ipad and an old keyboard kindle, as the kindle is a far better ereader due to it's non-reflective screen.
    Does the Kindle Fire still work well as an ereader now it's added all the other functionality?

2. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,365
    The reason the Kindle works so well is that it uses Black ink tech. I have never seen a colour screen work in bright sunlight.

3. rockmonkey1973

rockmonkey1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    mate it isnt out till october so no one is gonna tell you on this forum how good it is. however you might find a few hands on reviews on tech sites if you do a quick search.

i will say this even though i aint touched one on the flesh i can already tell you it wont be anywhere near as good. Using any sort of tablet be it an ipad or a cheap chinese jobby is just not gonna compete with a real ereader. the e ink screens on proper readers are just so so so so much better for reading in sunlight.

if however you never intend to take it outside you will be fine because in my experience the apps on tablets are great and they certainly handle pdfs way way better than normal ereaders.

bottom line tablets work well inside (although backlit screens tend to hurt peoples eyes after a while a problem mostly avoided with e ink) but if you intend to read outside then get yourself a dedicated ereader... well actually my advice is to get yourself a kindle reader and get a kindle tablet as well. best of both worlds then.

4. anika hanson

anika hanson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not to mention that the battery life will also be much better on a dedicated e-reader. You can get up to a month on a single charge. On a tablet you are looking at around a day per charge. The fire is also a tablet with an LCD display and will perfom just as good or bad as you ipad does for reading.

5. tonycommander

tonycommander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    i have one...

bought it off here strangely enough!

as an e-reader ( and i have owned 2 sony's, an original kindle and an ipad ) it's ok.

outdoors in sunlight a proper dedicated e-reader will beat it hands down.

as a cheaper smaller ipad replacement - it's great... seems to be lots of content in the kindle and android stores - you can install a dedicated android rom on it if you wish.

for me, works great as an e-reader on the train and isnt as obtrusive as my ipad so i dont feel self concious using it.

the fab thing for me with any kindle device or app is the whisper sync technology that saves my last read page to any device...

6. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,106
    I wonder how many years it will be before someone makes a OLED (or whatever it will be then) screen that looks just as good outside as it does inside, my iPhone screen is invisible in bright sunlight. Good challenge for the boffins to make one - preferably in my lifetime.

7. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Have two tablets and a smartphone that can all run Kindle reader but none are as comfortable to read as my Kindle reader because of the reflections and backlit screens. If you are a serious reader then a proper Kindle reader is the way to go.