Kindle Books Round 99p-£1.99, Bargains, Or Recommendations.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The Ardennes one I read last year on holiday. I hadn't realised it was the first use of proximity fuses on artillery in occupied Europe.

Getting artillery to explode at just the right height so infantry is showered with shrapnel isn't easy. Hollows or hills at the target can mean you get the guesswork wrong and the shells explode to high or low.

Proximity fuses were developed and used in the UK against V1's as part of anti-aircraft. As with the name, they explode once they are in the right area, or proximity. Great against a V1, even a near miss might be good enough to damage it.

There was a reluctance to use the shells in Europe in case the Germans found an unexploded shell and then copied it. At the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) they were first cleared for use, which meant every time German infantry attacked, the artillery shells exploded at just the right height making the artillery far more deadly than ever before for attacking infantry, to the extent it was leading to near riots from German troops.
That one on Kindle today for 99p

Ardennes 1944: Hitler's Last Gamble

New Kindle first out fro Prime subscribers .

I see one of Patricia Cornwell but I don know if part 1 of a 2 part story or just first in a series of 2.

A couple of David Baldacci's I read and enjoyed.
True Blue a stand alone one off characters. 99p I enjoyed 4/5

Mace Perry was a maverick cop on the DC police force who lost everything when she was framed for a crime she didn’t commit. She spent two years in prison and now she’s trying to rebuild her life. But first she’s determined to hunt down the people who set her up. Even with her police chief sister by her side, she needs to work in the shadows. There are those with power out there just looking for a reason to put her back behind bars and she needs to find the reason why.

A female partner at a city law firm is found murdered and it seems her fate is entangled with Mace’s story. As the investigation deepens, Mace finds herself drawn into both the public and private world of the nation’s capital as dark secrets begin to emerge. If she’s to prove her innocence, she will need all her skills to reveal the truth, confront her enemies and regain her life.

And at £1.99 The Camel Club 5/5 one I really enjoyed a stand alone story but first in a series of 5 second favorite Baldacci book after The Hit.

The Camel Club: a group of conspiracy theorists led by the mysterious Oliver Stone, who camp outside the White House. Their goal – to expose corruption at the upper echelons of US government.

The stakes are raised when the group witness the murder of an intelligence analyst. A murder the authorities seem intent on writing off as suicide. Looking at the case more closely provokes more questions than answers.

Joining forces with Secret Service Agent Alex Ford, the Camel Club prepare to shine a spotlight on a conspiracy that reaches into the heart of Washington’s corridors of power. In doing so, Ford finds out that his worst nightmare is about to happen . . .

The Camel Club is followed by The Collectors, Stone Cold, Divine Justice and Hell's Corner.

A couple of David Baldacci's I read and enjoyed.
True Blue a stand alone one off characters. 99p I enjoyed 4/5

Mace Perry was a maverick cop on the DC police force who lost everything when she was framed for a crime she didn’t commit. She spent two years in prison and now she’s trying to rebuild her life. But first she’s determined to hunt down the people who set her up. Even with her police chief sister by her side, she needs to work in the shadows. There are those with power out there just looking for a reason to put her back behind bars and she needs to find the reason why.

A female partner at a city law firm is found murdered and it seems her fate is entangled with Mace’s story. As the investigation deepens, Mace finds herself drawn into both the public and private world of the nation’s capital as dark secrets begin to emerge. If she’s to prove her innocence, she will need all her skills to reveal the truth, confront her enemies and regain her life.

And at £1.99 The Camel Club 5/5 one I really enjoyed a stand alone story but first in a series of 5 second favorite Baldacci book after The Hit.

The Camel Club: a group of conspiracy theorists led by the mysterious Oliver Stone, who camp outside the White House. Their goal – to expose corruption at the upper echelons of US government.

The stakes are raised when the group witness the murder of an intelligence analyst. A murder the authorities seem intent on writing off as suicide. Looking at the case more closely provokes more questions than answers.

Joining forces with Secret Service Agent Alex Ford, the Camel Club prepare to shine a spotlight on a conspiracy that reaches into the heart of Washington’s corridors of power. In doing so, Ford finds out that his worst nightmare is about to happen . . .

The Camel Club is followed by The Collectors, Stone Cold, Divine Justice and Hell's Corner.
I think have read about the Camel Club before. But I really mustn't start another series. :)

I think have read about the Camel Club before. But I really mustn't start another series. :)
Only 50% gave it 5 star but I thought was a very good read one comment was little happened in the first 2/3rd and the last 1/3rd was unputdownable. But Transfer of Power I'm reading very littles going on but the writing that good its keeping my interest.

Only 50% gave it 5 star but I thought was a very good read one comment was little happened in the first 2/3rd and the last 1/3rd was unputdownable. But Transfer of Power I'm reading very littles going on but the writing that good its keeping my interest.
That is the thing with the Mitch Rapp ones, actually not a lot happens but the way the story is built and the depth of interest in the characters, you don't realise.

That is the thing with the Mitch Rapp ones, actually not a lot happens but the way the story is built and the depth of interest in the characters, you don't realise.
Trouble with Transition of Power there's a character in it called General Flood and I keep reading it Gerald Flood, who was in Doctor Who as the King in, The Kings Demon and also the Voice of Kamelion. (just had to look up the episode and found he died age 61 a couple of weeks of his 62) I have him in a box set Pathfinders in Space.

Trouble with Transition of Power there's a character in it called General Flood and I keep reading it Gerald Flood, who was in Doctor Who as the King in, The Kings Demon and also the Voice of Kamelion. (just had to look up the episode and found he died age 61 a couple of weeks of his 62) I have him in a box set Pathfinders in Space.

I like the General Flood character but he never really materialises into anything of significance, which is a shame as he is one of those "I don't take any shit" characters.

I like the General Flood character but he never really materialises into anything of significance, which is a shame as he is one of those "I don't take any sh*t" characters.
What's the odds I picked up the book this afternoon at the start of the next chapter and 6 lines down they mention operation Rat Catcher.:eek:

What's the odds I picked up the book this afternoon at the start of the next chapter and 6 lines down they mention operation Rat Catcher.:eek:
Interesting. All writers must take some inspiration from existing material somewhere.

A historical story from Angus Donald who wrote the Outlaw series based round Robin Hood although told from perspective of Alan DAle and also some actual historical events thrown in.

Anyway hes has an other series with son of Colonel Thomas Blood( who attempted to steal the crown jewels).
This is first in the series and a good place to jump on 99p
Blood Game

Two more bought recently:

upload_2019-9-9_18-8-55.png

Bernard Cornwell : The Last Kingdom books 1-5 on at 99p today for you arselings:laugh:

Or >1-6< for £6.69 also his one off Scoundrel 99p

6 books based on future or near future for £3, or £1 each. Some really good authors in there too so can't go wrong

6 books based on future or near future for £3, or £1 each. Some really good authors in there too so can't go wrong
All but 1 it them have FREE Audible narration to, and the other one is £1.65. So £4.65 for 6x books and audio books is fantastic. About 8-9 hours worth across all short stories.

Amazon lists them around 30 or 40 pages per book. So short stories at best.
Ah didn't realise that - I thought it was too good!

Ah didn't realise that - I thought it was too good!
There lots of short story books by popular authors I switch on books by price and see a lot of short stories e.g. Lee Child has something like 6 or 7 short stories at 99p and one a bit longer with Karin Slaughter at £1.49 129 pages

Some great reads from Dean Koontz going cheap atm:

Some great reads from Dean Koontz going cheap atm:

Toko Black read this and lent it me said he could see me as the main male character, I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom