Kindle Books Round 99p-£1.99, Bargains, Or Recommendations.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
One for the history buffs especially WWII. Stalingrad 99p

@bluecube000 if you log in today you said in an other thread you may look at this, well 99p today.

One for the history buffs especially WWII. Stalingrad 99p

@bluecube000 if you log in today you said in an other thread you may look at this, well 99p today.
Came on to post about this very book.

Antony Beevor's books are great, at 99p it's a steal.

I also have by him, "Ardennes 1944" and "The Second World War."

Came on to post about this very book.

Antony Beevor's books are great, at 99p it's a steal.

I also have by him, "Ardennes 1944" and "The Second World War."
His D-Day one popped up not long back for 99p mentioned on the thread.
I bought this although have a pile to get through but this gets high praise and won awards.

His D-Day one popped up not long back for 99p mentioned on the thread.
I bought this although have a pile to get through but this gets high praise and won awards.
The Ardennes one I read last year on holiday. I hadn't realised it was the first use of proximity fuses on artillery in occupied Europe.

Getting artillery to explode at just the right height so infantry is showered with shrapnel isn't easy. Hollows or hills at the target can mean you get the guesswork wrong and the shells explode to high or low.

Proximity fuses were developed and used in the UK against V1's as part of anti-aircraft. As with the name, they explode once they are in the right area, or proximity. Great against a V1, even a near miss might be good enough to damage it.

There was a reluctance to use the shells in Europe in case the Germans found an unexploded shell and then copied it. At the Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge) they were first cleared for use, which meant every time German infantry attacked, the artillery shells exploded at just the right height making the artillery far more deadly than ever before for attacking infantry, to the extent it was leading to near riots from German troops.

3 James Swallow books which Dunkle and I enjoyed the first Nomad.
@KyleS1 did you get round to reading it?

Nomad 98p
Exile £1.90
Ghost 98p

Well todays should suit someone who reads the thread:laugh: if they not already bought it. Chris Carter's Hunting Evil 99p

@dUnKle know who that someone is! :laugh:

Last edited:
Cheers for the Chris Carter heads up. Not got that one. Read first three so far (in order) and enjoyed them

Bought. Apparently I'm 27% through Stalingrad. Post 377/388.
Any good I a huge pile to get though, and is it one you can dip in to i.e. read part way then cme back at a later date?

Any good I a huge pile to get though, and is it one you can dip in to i.e. read part way then cme back at a later date?
Starts with a summing up of invading Russia and then gets to Stalingrad. I'd read it in a oner though. I'm getting through it quite quick.

Conclave by Robert Harris is £1.99 today.

Very good book, I read it in one sitting a while back.

Finished Mitch Rapp #6 and onto #7. I really do like Vince Flynn’s writing style and nothing is really out of the realms of reality unlike some writers.

Finished Mitch Rapp #6 and onto #7. I really do like Vince Flynn’s writing style and nothing is really out of the realms of reality unlike some writers.
Just started his first book Transfer of Power which from the back notes seems like a Olympus Has Fallen tale way before that film.
If you get to book 18 that's your lot Vince died in 2013 only 47.

Did you pick that Mitch Rapp I posted for 99p?

Just started his first book Transfer of Power which from the back notes seems like a Olympus Has Fallen tale way before that film.

The first book (published that is) is great and was indeed the influence for Olympus / White House Down however I don’t believe vince is credited by either films. I suppose in itself it borrows heavily from the “die hard in ........” genre

It’s a great read and I really should go back and read some more of the true sequels
I really didn’t like American Assassin, I’m not sure if would be fully written by Vince as believe he was quite ill around that time. It really read as bad teenage “my dad could have your dad” fiction

The first book (published that is) is great and was indeed the influence for Olympus / White House Down however I don’t believe vince is credited by either films. I suppose in itself it borrows heavily from the “die hard in ........” genre

It’s a great read and I really should go back and read some more of the true sequels
I really didn’t like American Assassin, I’m not sure if would be fully written by Vince as believe he was quite ill around that time. It really read as bad teenage “my dad could have your dad” fiction
I had a look on IMDB to see if either one gave Vince credit but could not see it.

American assasin was the first I read of Vince and was put off, but saw the one at 99p and thought I start an other to see if it was better than AA and starting off better.

I had a look on IMDB to see if either one gave Vince credit but could not see it.

American assasin was the first I read of Vince and was put off, but saw the one at 99p and thought I start an other to see if it was better than AA and starting off better.

It’s a great book. Much much better than American Assassin, but again think the likely down to where it came in his writing career and possibly co / ghost written (much like the Clancy books)

I will go back and read it and carry on from there skipping the prequels

When did you post it?
Someone on this forum got me into the books .
American assassin started strong but didn’t end well. Would explain a lot if Flynn was ill during that book.
I’ll defo be getting to book 18.

It’s a great book. Much much better than American Assassin, but again think the likely down to where it came in his writing career and possibly co / ghost written (much like the Clancy books)

I will go back and read it and carry on from there skipping the prequels
Clancy books were my all time favourite. Not read any of the newer ones though.

I just been reading Wiki on White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen and in both it mentions Also See: Transfer of Power.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom