Kindle App

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by readymix, Jan 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. readymix

readymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I wish to remove some of the books i have read without losing them can i transfer them to itunes for storing?.

2. Geordie Bry

Geordie Bry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You won't lose them there stored with amazon.

3. readymix

readymix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you very much.

4. thedrewser

thedrewser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I used the Kindle app for the first time yesterday. I always believed that the iPhone was far too small a screen to read properly from, but, I used it quite a lot yesterday to read a book (longest read period about 20 mins continuously). I was suprised at how easy it was to actually read.

I was reading the ebook of the physical book I am currently reading. Will be dead handy when you have 10 minutes to kill and haven't got a book with you and aren't in the mood for playing a game.

It won't be my main reading source (until i get my iPad later this year) but I was very impressed by it on the iPhone.

5. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    ^^^How does it compare to the iBooks app? Read a short story using that the other night and it wasn't too bad. I was conscious of how often I was "turning" the page, though, as there's only so much you can fit on a small screen.

6. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    It's pretty much the same, although IMHO the Kindle App format seems to be slightly better and makes more use of the whole page (though that might be just the books I've read). The font, brightness and background colour make a huge difference and it's worth experimenting to get the set up that's right for you. I always find it's strange that old fashioned fonts seem to work better with e-Readers than the modern ones but again, maybe that's just me.

I too am surprised how good iBooks and Kindle are on the iP4 (not quite so good on the 3Gs but still perfectly acceptable). I don't think I've used one for much more than 30 minutes at a time but for occasional browsing or regular short reading (e.g. on commuting journeys) they're fine.

The "proper" eReaders are undoubtedly better to use and easier on the eyes because of the lack of backlighting but it's not really a fair comparison.

I've just downloaded the Canadian e-Reader KOBO but haven't tried with anything yet. There's another one called Nook that's supposed to be very good but for some reason that's only available on the US iTunes store.

The one annoying thing about the non-Apple e-Readers is of course the way that Apple have banned them from using in-App purchases.

7. Flashy

Flashy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +997
    Thanks, that's really helpful (and far more valuable than a two-line "review" in the app store). Think I'll take an hour one weekend to see if I can actually get into an iBook on my iPhone and see how I get on (iGet on?).

I'm still slightly troubled by the fact that I like books – holding them, physically turning the pages, knowing how far in you are or how much more there is to go by the feel of it, physically putting in a bookmark, etc. I also like the trophyism of owning the books and having them in a bookshelf. They're also relatively cheap.

But the more I think about it, the more I think I'd like an e-reader of some description. Perhaps experimenting with the iPhone will be a good place to start before considering something with a bigger screen, be it an iPad, Kindle, or something else. Thanks again.

8. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +682
    I always read books on my Iphone on kindle ..its the reason my Ipad 2 dos'nt leave the house nowadays.

got everything I need on my IP4s , music, books, Apps games, videos, browser and email

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  9. thedrewser

thedrewser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    Out of interest, the books you d/l I assume are saved on Amazon servers. Therefore, do you need internet connectivity to use. The reason I ask is I'm off to Florida next month on holiday and thought this may save carrying books, but I don't want to incur roaming charges.

10. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +682
    no - once you buy the book you download it to your device ( so they can be read offline)..average book size is 2-3mb . you only need to redownload it if you delete it or use the kindle app on another device .

the only thing to be careful of is it will try to sync back where you are in the book with amazon so if you logged onto another device you can start reading where you left off

this will use data but very little i expect .

11. williamus

williamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    + 1 x n!