1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kinda Offtopic - Wireless Door Chime

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by zoolap, Oct 13, 2003.

1. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Kinda Offtopic though I guess this would be useful if you wanted to have a bell near the your cinema setup.

We've been double glazed at home and have a new door. Since we don't wanna go through drilling holes in the door i'm looking at wireless Door Chimes.

Our old bell is still on the spot above the door.

Is it possible to get a two unit setup whereby there is a wireless switch unit that goes outside and a small unit that could stick inside near the door that will form a connection between the two contacts for the regular bell we have when the outer unit transmits a signal?

We're considering an upstairs (above garage) extension and I'm thinking of having a projector setup there so it may well be that regular portable wireless chimes would allow for the unit to be placed in the room/near it so that we hear even if watching movies etc.

Also most wireless efforts seem to have ugly external buttons - something brass/"brass effect" that could be stuck on would be good.

Thanks.

2. Dominic

Dominic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have a micromark wireless chime, its as you say ugly on the outside. But it is OUTSIDE and sometimes function has to reign over form. Mine is a battery powered switch and the chimes simply plug into any std socket. As i got 2 with the kit for 25 quid, one goes by the front door for that logical sound and the other is in the dinning room by the back of the house / garden for when we are out side, but if i want it in the garage or kitchen it can go there too.

If you were into eletronics i guess some sort of std switch could be wired up to the remote bell push.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would guess its a case of trwling DIY shops and catalogues till you find a nice one!

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think so - I have a similar requirement - We have a doorbell on the front of the house, and one on the side, but they ring in different places, so when one bell is pushed, I want both bells to ring. I started looking into building a relay to trip both circuits when one of the bells was pushed, but it all got terribly complicated.

5. ff2001

ff2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. jimcarney

jimcarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought one in B&Q a friend of my modified it to mains the bell is on the gate post some distance from the house inside a waterproof box from maplins, it has an aerial inside the receiver is upstairs on the landing again modified to the mains works very well its been up and running now for about a year only changed the battery once because I never sealed it properly cost about £20 to £30 I think . Jim

7. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    I've got the MK/Freidland... Works very well and the buttons look good (choice of black or white)... I got mine from Homebase...

I've got two buttons (front and back door) and each has a different chime... You can then add as many bells as you like, I've got a plug in mains powered and a portable battery powered (which is handy for the deck at the end of the garden)...