1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kind request to HowieC or anyone in the know

Discussion in 'TVs' started by nd4spd, Apr 1, 2004.

1. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would like to kindly ask you for a little help regarding the proper calibration of an KV32-FX68E Sony TV. You see, I wasn't afraid to use the service menu for correcting the geometry and overscanning but I wanted more. Using the patterns from Digital Video Essentials dvd, I fiddled with the RGB drive and cutoff values in the service submenu and I came up with something that MY EYES think is closer to the reference D65 point (color temperature and greyscale). Still, I am very well aware that without a proper calibration device the new settings could be wrong. It's obvious for me that the image has improved a lot (I think the overall gamma is better know) I can see more detail in the shadows. But...

My request is: Is it possible to help me with the values for RGB drive and cutoff that are known to be best for the reference D65 point.

Cheers,
    Vali

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nd4spd,

It isn't a question of known values, every tube will require a different set of settings to produce the 'correct' output. The average domestic chassis has pretty wide tolerances and its often not possible to set them up 'spot-on'.
    You can do no better than set it up to look good to you, trying for perfection will drive you nuts and lead you to tweaking things best left untweaked.

3. nd4spd

nd4spd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your words. Indeed, in the last couple of days I only did calibration and tweaking so it did drive me nuts and my girlfriend... Anyway, it's hard to make it good without a service manual (yes, I don't have it!!!) and proper calibrating equipment. That's why I thought of some kind of basic values to start with, even if I know that tubes are not created equal.

Thank you again for your response.
    Vali

4. Paul Atreides

Paul Atreides

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A service manual won't make it much easier unless you have that calibration equipment. It does not contain descriptions of the service menu parameters as you might expect it to, meaning it's pretty unhelpfull to people like us wanting quality.