• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kind Hearts and Coronets (Robert Hamer - 1949) UK Blu-ray Disc now due 05/09/11

D

Deleted member 293381

Very good English classic, possibly the best of all the Ealing films. Alec Guinness does a sterling job.

Got it on DVD, aspect ratio is 4:3 I think.

captainarchive

Distinguished Member
It's not amongst my favourite Ealing comedies I tend to add it to my collection for completism sake together with Wiskey Galore.

D

Deleted member 293381

Yes, I'm not sure anyone had gone 1.66:1 in '49.

Steve W

... Leading up to that...

Steve, the old black and white films you have in blu-ray, has the aspect ratio changed to 1.78:1?

Or do they remain at 1.33:1 (4:3) on transfer?

Pecker

Distinguished Member
... Leading up to that...

Steve, the old black and white films you have in blu-ray, has the aspect ratio changed to 1.78:1?

Or do they remain at 1.33:1 (4:3) on transfer?
No, the 1.33:1 films stay at 1.33:1. Indeed, the even 'slimmer' Sunrise stays at 1.20:1.

Of course, there are old b&w films shot in 1.85:1 (Psycho), and there are even b&w films shot in 'wider' ratios (the original Invasion of the Bodysnatchers is b&w and shot in Superscope at 2.00:1 - not on BD yet, though) and even wider still (The Innocents is b&w and in 'scope 2.39:1).

Steve W

Jim Di Griz

Distinguished Member
This is my favourite Ealing comedy and probably my favourite b/w film full stop! I will be snapping this up as soon as its a decent price which probably wont take long I think. Ill probably get it for my dad for Xmas too. Its one of those films that I watched by accident many years ago on a lazy afternoon and Ive loved it ever since. :)

All we need now is the Coen bros to remake it...;)

HugoFJH

This is my favourite Ealing comedy and probably my favourite b/w film full stop! I will be snapping this up as soon as its a decent price which probably wont take long I think. Ill probably get it for my dad for Xmas too. Its one of those films that I watched by accident many years ago on a lazy afternoon and Ive loved it ever since. :)

+ 6 for Me (how much I love this film) :D

Should be left well alone in remakes stakes though - no-one should ruin such a decent film by trying to remake it today. (esp Coen Brothers who to my mind make one decent flick for every 3 or 4 they actually make)

Liked the other Ealing comedies Ive seen, but for me KH&C is pick of the bunch by a mile

brian s

Distinguished Member
+ 6 for Me (how much I love this film) :D

Should be left well alone in remakes stakes though - no-one should ruin such a decent film by trying to remake it today. (esp Coen Brothers who to my mind make one decent flick for every 3 or 4 they actually make)

Liked the other Ealing comedies Ive seen, but for me KH&C is pick of the bunch by a mile

I've enjoyed most of the Coen Brothers output that I've seen but what were they thinking about with The Ladykillers?

Bri

spearce8

I've got that, it really is superb. Get it asap, subject to your pricepoint.

Yes, it's been out a while, why though two different releases, with two different cover arts, why?

Also, you would of thought with all of them be Ealing, they could of have similar cover designs, some look similar, some don't.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Wonder if there'll be an ealing boxset? Used to have the dvd boxset.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom