Quantcast

Kilos into..pints

Coffin

Distinguished Member
Hello, namaste, sat sri akal :)

I am currently in Punjab, India where milk is considered sacred

The village I am staying in is agriculturally dependent. 99% of residents own farmland where they grow crops to feed their cows/buffalo whom produce milk from which much staple food and drink is derived

Many homes will sell excess milk daily to local businesses, hotels, restaurants etc. Or simply other homes

The measurement is calculated by weight rather than volume, in this case kilograms

1 kilo of milk is sold for 30 rupees. 80 rupees is £1

How many kilos is 4 pints?!

Clearly density is the factor. FWIW I'm assured buffalo milk is the equivalent of 'full fat'

Thanks

Last edited:

Graham27

You probably wouldn't be too far off just going with 1kg/l, but from a quick Google it seems like full fat milk is 1.03kg/l.

4 pints is 2.273l, x 1.03 = 2.34kg = 70 rupees/87.5p

At this point, someone smarter/more awake will show me the error in my pre-school maths :D

Last edited:

DIYlady

Distinguished Member
Graham27 said:
You probably wouldn't be too far off just going with 1kg/l, but from a quick Google it seems like full fat milk is 1.03kg/l.

4 pints is 2.273l, x 1.03 = 2.34kg = 70 rupees/87.5p

At this point, someone smarter/more awake will show me the error in my pre-school maths :D
Not the maths as such but any mathematician will cringe at the erroneous use of equals signs! How can 2.34kg=70 rupees?

(Sorry; in a former life I spent some time teaching maths, and this common, informal notation used to cause all sorts of problems. I just cringe when I see it)

nheather

Distinguished Member
1litre of water weighs 1 kilogram.

This is a good approximation of most liquids with high water content.

Using 1 Imperial Pint = 0.57 litres (US Pints are different).

Gives

1 kg = 1l = 1/0.57 pints = 1.75 pints

So 4 pints = 2.28 litres which will cost (2.28*30)/4 = 17.1 rupees = 21.4 pence

So whilst it is considered sacred, it is about 18% of the price you would pay in a UK Tesco.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

johntheexpat

Distinguished Member
Not the maths as such but any mathematician will cringe at the erroneous use of equals signs! How can 2.34kg=70 rupees?

(Sorry; in a former life I spent some time teaching maths, and this common, informal notation used to cause all sorts of problems. I just cringe when I see it)
OT, but I think you could/should make a comment to that effect in JohnG's current thread, "Is our language ruined forever?"

Graham27

Ah, you just can't beat forums for a bit of nerdy pedantry :D Fair enough, guilty as charged, but I was just trying to make a quick post in the middle of the night to help another member, and I'm sure he got what I was trying to say.

Coffin

Distinguished Member
Thank you for your replies with particular mention to Nigel :thumbsup:

That is a very favourable price indeed after the £ to INR allowance

SBanga said:
Coffin, how are you finding it all?
I'm having a great time, thank you for asking. Sadly I return to the UK on Boxing day

The reason I asked about the milk cost was to get an idea of how much I'd be spending on average a month on milk should I live here, something I am considering for X number of months of the year

I'll probably make a thread reflecting on my 3 month stay here which has been stark contrast to the green hills of Wiltshire in the (South!) West :)

Last edited: