Killzone 2 - Demo Controller Lag?

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by musti, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musti

musti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Has anyone else experienced this?

I know that I did... but I just got used to it... reading over on the official forums though there definately is a problem.

It's not the slower pace of the game and the weight of the player, I understand that, or the sensitivity settings. When I first played, I looked left, then right, and there definately was split second delay in me moving the analog stick and it actually doing it... I kind of adapted and got used to it, as you do.

Apparently the Head of QA is looking into it. Anyone else noticed it? I'm gonna try some things tonight, see if there is any diference:
    1. Try the PS3 on my other TV.
    2. Try PS3 directly into the TV (currently HDMI via amp)
    3. Try plugging the controller in.

Great game though! Dispite this.

2. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    Without sounding like i'm jumping to it's defense, I genuinely reckon this is a stylistic decision regarding the 'weight' of the gun moving around. I think it feels more natural than snapping to pinpoint precision but I understand how some think it's sluggish.

If I were the QA deptartment i'd be looking into mappable buttons and increasing the stick sensitivity becuase it's better having a lot more than not enough.

3. mascot

mascot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    OP:
    Yeah, it's definitely not a fault with your set-up. This 'lag' has been mentioned in plenty of reviews and podcasts. Seems like it's a simulated 'inertia' effect meant to convey wielding a heavy weapon while kitted out in battle fatigues.

2nd P:
    +1 on the mappable control scheme. This should be compulsary in FPSes.

4. Se777eN

Se777eN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,337
    Hi folks,

1. I was talking to our Art Director, Jan-Bart and he reckons the controller input lag is down to the settings on your TV. He recommends you turn down any post-processing settings such as:

Sharpening

Image correction and so on.

This can save you a good 2 to 3 frames of lag and should improve your overall experience. Any other tips are appreciated.

2. I also suggest playing with the sensitivity of the controls settings to see if you can make it more to your liking.

3. Humor me on this one. Someone 'with' the issue, try using the controller wire instead of the bluetooth for me and tell me if you notice a difference. Just a little test.

Otherwise it might simply be down to 'getting used to it'. I'll add more suggestions as I think of them.

Note, these are simply suggestions to see if we can help make the experience better. If we need to patch something in to sort this out we'll do so. Not the end of the world.

*READ: If you are experiencing controller lag* - Killzone 2 (PS3) - PlayStation.com Forums

What bull **** .

But i tell you what there is ALOT of people moaning about the feel of the game. Even the beta testers said it was faster than the SP demo.

5. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    It's got nothing to do with tv settings - it's the game :thumbsdow

6. Se777eN

Se777eN
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,337
    What i was thinking zero LOL.

they have 3 weeks to sort it though.

7. Br0ken

Br0ken

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,314
    I must be a pretty poor gameplayer, I never notice these things, I'll keep an eyeout for it next time I'm on though. I do have "game mode" turned on for my ps3 on my samsung tv, wonder if theres a noticeable difference.

8. Robothamster

Robothamster
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14,194
    You and me both mate! I was half asleep when I played it, that might be my excuse for not noticing any lag... I'll try again tonight!

9. Zeromajor

Zeromajor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +594
    It's not a problem, just a choice that the devs have made. Some (me included) would like to see the x/y sensitivity higher but apart from that I like the fact there's no auto assist and you have to take your time to line up a shot.

I'm closing this thread as it could've easily been inlcuded in the demo impressions,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.