Killing Your Father - Time Travel Paradox

fortean

I'm sure most of you have heard this paradox in one form or another. For those that haven't it goes like this...

You travel back in time to before you were conceived and kill your father.
Since you killed your father you couldn't be born.
If you weren't born then you couldn't go back in time to kill your father.
So, the idea is that you can't go back in time and kill your father.

There are lot's of explanations about how this can be resolved like multi-verses, parallel time lines etc.

But what about this scenario...

You go back in time and impregnate your grandmother.
The result of this is that your father is born.

Assume you are still in existence so that this part, for now, can be considered a normal part of the time line. If you do nothing more and return to your present everything will continue as normal. You were your own grandfather before you went back in time.

You now travel to a point in time shortly before you were conceived.
Still all is well. So far you have done nothing to threaten your existence.

You now kill your father.

What happens?

swanny78

You get arrested for murder and incest by the time police.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I never did get the Terminator thing y'know (opposite to this thread, but same time paradox theme)... I mean I get it, but then I don't get it :D :rolleyes:

fortean

fortean

I never did get the Terminator thing y'know (opposite to this thread, but same time paradox theme)... I mean I get it, but then I don't get it :D :rolleyes:

The guy that came back from the future to stop the Terminator was the kids father. No paradox there as he died at the end of the film anyway.

The Terminator paradox is in what they are attempting to do. If the Terminator did kill the kid then there would be no reason to send it back in time to kill the kid.

The scene I set was to try and show that although you can't kill your father you can take him out of existence without reseting the timeline; maybe :(

Sonic67

Banned
In The Terminator there's paradoxes of sorts. Sarah Connor has to make sure that John Connor in the future sends back Kyle Reese to save her in the past so she can sleep with Kyle so she can have John who will then lead the rebels and send back Kyle etc. It makes a loop.

What confuses things and is a paradox is that the T-800 technology is found at the end of The Terminator and that then sets in motion the development of Terminators who will fight mankind. In other words we have technology that came from the future into the past to become technolgy in the future. The technology didn't come from an outside source.

There is a theory that time travel will never be discovered as if it was discovered in the future why has no one ever come back to tell us about it?

Other theorys are that by going into the past you start a new timeline independent of the original timeline.

For instance take 'Star Trek' The Original Series. It was filmed in the 60's. Some fans wondered how the technology on the series 'Enterprise' can be more advanced than on 'Star Trek' (The Original Series) when 'Enterprise' is set in an earlier time. The answer is 'First Contact'. The Borg and the Star Trek Next Generation crew went into the past and caused a new chain of events.

So you had Star Trek (with 60's looking but future technolgy) then Star Trek The Next Generation then First Contact where they went back into the past which then meant the past was altered and a new timeline was started. As a result on the series Enterprise the technology is different.

On the paradox above you were born, went into the past, killed your father but still exist because by going into the past you start a different timeline. The original one in which your father exists and you will be born and a new one in which a future you is also in it that kills your father.

That's it I need a whisky. :suicide:

IronGiant

I'm sorry, but this would never happen :) Or did you mean "without realising" she was your grandmother;)

There is a rather old but good Sci-fi book on time paradoxes:

Thrice upon a time by James P Hogan

Apologies if this has been mentioned before :D

Sonic67

Banned

avinitski

if you went back in time and killed your father then you woulnt have been born to time travel back in the first place.....thats when the world explodes.

Ian J

Banned
If you went back in time and killed your own father we wouldn't have to waste time drumming up silly answers to a silly thread as you wouldn't have been here to start it

avinitski

If you went back in time and killed your own father we wouldn't have to waste time drumming up silly answers to a silly thread as you wouldn't have been here to start it

thats a bit harsh, you dont have to bring negativity to a thread, just dont read a thread you dont like and you dont have to waste time replying.

fortean

if you went back in time and killed your father then you woulnt have been born to time travel back in the first place.....thats when the world explodes.

That's true but then your father wouldn't have been born either because you are his father. There doesn't seem to be a get out for it unless you make use of alternate realities etc.

In the original idea the act of killing your father created a simple reset which stopped you killing your father and so on. I always assumed the original scenario was there to show how time would protect itself.

I think there will be a fault with the argument but I just can't figure out what it is.

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Moderator/Games Reviewer

Assume you are still in existence so that this part, for now, can be considered a normal part of the time line. If you do nothing more and return to your present everything will continue as normal. You were your own grandfather before you went back in time.

What happens?

Wasnt that an episode of SG1?

partyweb

Distinguished Member
thats a bit harsh, you dont have to bring negativity to a thread, just dont read a thread you dont like and you dont have to waste time replying.

I agree totally. I've really benifitted from this thread as I'd watched Primer once and it hurt my head a bit but after reading the wiki thread link supplied by Sonic67 I now want to go and watch it again with 'picture-timeline-in-hand' to understand it better. :smashin:

stevedster

I'm sure most of you have heard this paradox in one form or another. For those that haven't it goes like this...

There are lot's of explanations about how this can be resolved like multi-verses, parallel time lines etc.

What happens?

Your one sick puppy !

johnny70

What happens?

This is still a paradox, I had it figured out earlier while working, now it's gone.

Bugger:rotfl:

Regards

JOHNNY

Londondecca

So, you have access to a time machine and all you want to do is have sex with your grandmother and kill your father.

PAH

There is no paradox because as far as we know about physics and has been proven so far, time travel isn't physically possible.

Einstein banging on about if you went faster than the speed of light you'd travel in time is describing an optical illusion where you would be observed to travel in time but physically you wouldn't. Light is irrelevant to time as one is a sensory property and one is a method of measurement, so travelling faster than light is certainly possible just like you can travel faster than the speed of sound. We're just not advanced enough to understand how to make it happen. I also think Einstein was on about travelling forward in time by 'cheating' physics as we currently understand it. To go backwards in time is another ball game altogether and one I think would be much harder to conquer.

So no one has yet devised a confirmable way of proving time travel is possible. Maybe one day someone will and we can worry about it's affect, but for now I'm not too bothered, it just makes for some great science fiction :D

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Creative releases Stage 360 Soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Toshiba reveals 2021 UK TV range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for October 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
StormAudio launches ISP Core 16 AV processor