Killing Them Softly Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Feb 21, 2013.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      "Community? There is no community. Here in America, you're on your own."

Dredd, Lawless, Looper. Argo, Django, Flight, Zero Dark Thirty. Finally we’re getting some decent movies for adults. Not that long after its US theatrical release (two months after the UK release), and still glowing with critical acclaim, Andrew - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford -...

Read the full review...

2. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,971
      Again thanks for another great review Cass,another one to go on my to buy list :D

3. mentasm

mentasm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,632
      I completely forgot about this about five minutes after I left the cinema.

4. almightygoodgod

almightygoodgod

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +419
      It passed the time but for me it wasn't that great. Nothing really happens which is fine if the dialogue is great, but the dialogue here was just okay. An interesting enough film but I doubt I'll watch it again.

5. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +554
      I'll read the review after I've watched the disc, is there a release date when this is available on Blu-Ray ?

6. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,607
      Monday (25th)

7. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +554
      Thanks cas, I couldn't get that information from amazon. It's being released much earlier than the US disc which isn't due out for another month.

As I recall, the source novel is by George Higgins whose style was dialogue-heavy, almost to the point of no descriptive writing at all sometimes. He is well worth reading and also wrote The Friends of Eddie Coyle which was filmed in the 70s by Peter Yates and starred Robert Mitchum (it's available on a Criterion DVD).

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    8. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,971
      I really like The Friends of Eddie Coyle,i still think it was one of Robert Mitchum best roles :)

9. rapta

rapta

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +147
      This was my favourite film last year. If you give it 100% of your attention and just shut up and watch it there's a lot of creativity going on, and it's much cleverer than it may first appear to be. Andrew Dominik is a master in my eyes, but I know a lot of people who are impatient with his work, which is a shame - he's certainly breaking newer ground than fellow antipodean Hillcoat has been recently, yet people are loving Lawless whilst this film gets faint praise. Maybe it's the political cynicism and misogyny, or the fact it's set in a post-Katrina that doesn't have a cute kid front and center (Beasts of the Southern Wild - don't get me wrong, that film still has some bite) that puts people off. I mention misogyny because there's barely any female presence in the film - the film is about men and addresses the male dominance in Western society (but this somewhat empowers the lone actress' dialogue, or at least gives it more weight).

Overall a poignant film that might take a while to sink in, but it really fits in with films like There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men perhaps more than Dominik's last film Jesse James did back when they all came out within weeks of each other. For me, this film is up there with the best of recent months - Zero Dark Thirty, The Master, Amour, Beasts Of The Southern Wild, and even Django Unchained - which all, no matter how stylised and soaked in context, have some underlying relevance to human issues, each bearing a clear message and really exploring the cinematic medium.

10. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,022
      This bit alone from your review has made me want to rent this now ;). I totally agree with this too needless to say!

Before you get all worried that this may be one of those marmite films that only those who also loved The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford will like, I have to reveal the fact that I didn’t get on all that well with that previous collaboration between Dominik and Pitt. It was just too long, and too contemplative – and it lost me somewhere on the way.

11. bawheid

bawheid

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23

Now this has my attention. Loved The Friends Eddie Coyle, classic downbeat 70s crime drama. I might have a wee look for Higgins books too if still in print.

12. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,947
      Cas, when you talk about a blind buy, does this film have 're-watch' value? I'm really trying to cut down on buying films from both a time and financial constraints point of view!

13. Andy58

Andy58

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +505
      I'm in the same camp as Mentasm above. Saw it at the cinema, quite enjoyed it but the film didn't stay with me afterwards in any way. An enjoyable watch but not a keeper (for me)

Thanks for the review though Cas - always a pleasure to read your work.

14. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,607
      Personally I think that yes, it does. The film, for me, works on a number of different levels - both as an expertly told crime drama and a nice commentary on the state of America. I enjoyed it as much on Blu-ray as I had at the cinema.

That said, this isn't Skyfall. Or Dredd. This isn't an enjoyable, relatively 'easy' watch which you can just sit down and lap up purely from an entertainment point-of-view, should you choose to. Killing Them Softly requires more than that.

So, if you have a lot of movies like this in your collection, then Killing Them Softly would make a great addition. It's the kind of thing that wouldn't look out of place getting the Criterion treatment.

If, on the other hand, it's gonna look out of place in your collection then you may want to rent it first and see if you love it.

As you can see, plenty of others watched it, enjoyed it, but left it behind afterwards. Others, like me, probably revelled in the after-effect a great deal more. But until you know which camp you're in you won't know whether or not this is a keeper.

Cheers,
      Cas

15. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +10,022
      Anything like The American I wonder? Hoping it is.

16. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,127
      I picked this up yesterday, watched it last night and really enjoyed it...but like some others have mentioned it hasn't stayed with me and I have no real desire to watch it again.

17. bosque

bosque

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +554
      Watched this last week. Superb the whole way through, I havent read the George V Higgins novel it is based on but I know his highly-regarded series of crime novels are very dialogue-heavy where the action is almost exclusively told through the characters talking about what has happend, what could happen and the consequences of what did happen - so this brilliant movie is a good depection of that (IMO).

America is not only about violence, it's also about the talk - there's so much in this movie you might feel like saying before Killing Them Softly has ended, "Will you shut the **** up !?!"

Great stuff, Andrew Dominick is like a 70s director newly-discovered and working today, we're lucky.