• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Killing the Family (possible spoilers)

Marky1973

Right, have done a quick search, but want to avoid reading too many other searches so will just ask the questions anyway.

I appreciate that pretty much everything in this game can be done 'as you like' and I am loving it for that reason, however a couple things have come up where I can make a decision but wonderd what other people have found to be the most profitable.

One relating to the family and the other to the ghouls brewing ultrajet....I've put them in spoiler mode below....

Simply put is it more profitable to kills the ghouls and take their stuff or return to them with the sugar bombs at 30 caps a time - got them up to 30 with a speech thingy? Or just take some bombs back and then kill them....

And the same for the family really - have got ian to go home and they have agreed to protect Arefu for blood packs.....but they have a lot of tempting boxes and stuff lying around - they are tough, but again, is it more profitable to let them protect arefu (all 5 or 6 of them) or kill them for their stuff? If they protect arefu will it get bigger will more people settle? Maybe I am thinking too much!!

I guess it probably doesn't matter either way, just interested in people's views.....told myself I wouldn't post on here and read other people's tips etc, but the game almost demands to be talked about and discussed as there are so many ways of doing things......from the delight of finding a 'hidden' location to sneaking up on a group of chatting raiders and introducing them to the missile launcher!:DWhich I did last night, killing 4 outright and leaving the 5th to run away shouting 'Screw this....' - he didn't get far.....I was also a little perturbed when I killed some raiders and found a wanted letter on him entitled 'Kill Marky.....' :eek::rotfl: with a preference for my head :eek:

Loving this game so much, thank you Xbox from draggin me out of the gaming wilderness that was the Wii!:eek:

I mean, I love my Wii too, but this has brought back all those feelings that I used to get with the N64 - you know.....the ehadaches you get at 3 in the morning when you realise you have been playing for a little longer than you planned!!!:D

LiFo

As you say, the choice is yours.

As for which is more profitable, i did neither, can't be bothered to drag sugar back for a measly 30 caps. but also too nice too kill harmless ghouls.

I never really suffered from lack of caps or items, just search everything. Ammo is money

Marky1973

Part of me wants to be bad in the game,but whenever I get the opportunity to be bad, I have a tendency to wimp out!

Keeping an old save (just after level 7) to go back to and be evil with later on!:rotfl:

Hopalong

I did both well kind of anyway i sold the ghouls a load of sugar bombs then after i had about 1000 caps off him and some ultra jet i pinned his head to the wall with the rail rifle:D i carnt remember what was in the room so carnt tell you if it made economical sense.
As for the vampires ive kept them friends as im still selling blood packs to them.

But now youve reminded me of all those nice boxes i think i might get all Blade on them don the leather armer and sunglasses and bring out the chinese sword :rotfl:

im also with Lifo ammo is caps i dont use the flamer or the 5mm and there is tons of that type of ammo so i always sell it you can get a few thousand caps easy.

Marky1973

Mmmm, good thing about the ammo, not really thought about it in that way, although I have been storing up 5mm ammo - have the mini gun but tend not to use it - or the flamer......and have been a bit short of caps up until now.....

Perhaps I will leave the ghouls and the fmailt for a bit and see how much I can make out of them.....then kill 'em! :D

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
lol my first play through I accidentally nuked megaton >.< but I did get a sweet house. Any way I find that bad karma best way to make caps is be a slaver (I enslave raiders) and hangout near falls other slavers give you random crap only if your super evil though 250 caps per slave :devil: for good karma you tend to get better items.

Marky1973

Didn't realise I could be a slaver.....mind you I keep wanting tobe evil, just can't quite manage it!:D

Was 'mildly' unpleasant with a "speech" task with Moira and ended up finishing her missions early without going to Rivet city.....so felt bad about that.....:D

Can't stop playing - another 'quick blast' last night ended at 2:30 in the morning......which is very late for me if you take into account the 4 am start that the kids tend to have!!!:rotfl:

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
Didn't realise I could be a slaver.....mind you I keep wanting tobe evil, just can't quite manage it!:D

Was 'mildly' unpleasant with a "speech" task with Moira and ended up finishing her missions early without going to Rivet city.....so felt bad about that.....:D

Can't stop playing - another 'quick blast' last night ended at 2:30 in the morning......which is very late for me if you take into account the 4 am start that the kids tend to have!!!:rotfl:

Lol I'm same way now I can't be evil. The first play through I was only evil cuze I wanted Jerico guy to help me and u need to be evil to recruit him then I needed a house to put all my crap in and ended up nukeing megaton lol ^.^

Marky1973

Don't get me wrong, I've stolen a few things out of fridges and even shot a dog to steal someone ammo.....but I felt really guilty and even felt guitly when I killed a mirelurk during the side quest for Moira.....:rotfl:

It is still the greatest game......just playing this weekend with the intention of going back to an early side quest and then got sidetracked by a sewer that ended up taking me into the HUBRIS Comic building.....then got lost in there for an hour searching around.....almost complete freedom, its fantastic! :thumbsup:

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
You seem pretty cool so heres some of my favorite weapons and armor and where they are (sorry if you know about these already >.<)Lincoln's Repeater it's in the Museum of History--Damage 52--Wg 5--Val 500--Ammo .44 Cal. Next is Xuanlong Assault Rifle it's a quest in Museum of Technology go to one of the computers--Damage 68--Wg 7--Val 400--Ammo 5.56mm. Next Blackhawk go to Agathas house be very polite do the quest get the sheet music and ask for a reward. It's a awesome scoped .44 Magnum hundgun--Damage 50--Wg 4--Val 300. Next is the armor it's Prototype Medic Power Armor it's found in Old Olney in some tunnels (careful it's deathclaw city)---DR 40--Wg 45--Val 700---It talks to you and gives you Med X when you need it :eek: yay!

Marky1973

Thanks - will keep my eye out! Have a scoped .44 but can't remember where I got it from but quite useful! Been using a laser rifle for the last couple of days - not the most powerful but it does seem to be quite effective in my hands! And it is quite satisfying when it disintegrates enemies!

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
Ah, energy weapons there's a good laser rifle in little lamp light called wazer wifle go to great chamber and talk to a kid if you have Child at heart you can get it for free also a plasma rifle if you do The Replicated Man quest in rivit city confront the andriod and he'll give you a rifle (I don't wanna spoil who it is :p) Good Luck! :D

Marky1973

Did it again last night, finished off the Comics building and thought it was time to go and find Mr Wilkes.....five yards down the road, find another MEtro station and then spent 3 hours wandering around killing ghouls and finding new locations for the map - still haven't finihsed exploring down there, Mr Wilkes is still waiting for me to rescue him, and my dreams all involved opening ammo boxes last night.....and still only 21 hours in!

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
Did it again last night, finished off the Comics building and thought it was time to go and find Mr Wilkes.....five yards down the road, find another MEtro station and then spent 3 hours wandering around killing ghouls and finding new locations for the map - still haven't finihsed exploring down there, Mr Wilkes is still waiting for me to rescue him, and my dreams all involved opening ammo boxes last night.....and still only 21 hours in!

Lol I know what you mean same with me I'm at Sewer Waystation right now Lol it's cool in here I should be going to Rivit City right now but this place it to cool to pass up. Must keep playing no time to sleep @[email protected]

Marc

Distinguished Member
i just started playing again this past weekend on my pc (i had previously got to megaton and then stopped when i found out i needed to start again signed into live to record the achievements) and i'm loving it so far :D had my first encounter with a super mutant on sunday, came out of a subway and he was right there infront of my level 6 self - no time to run away so i just thought i'd 'ave a go and apparently the shotgun is awfully good at removing super mutant heads from about 5 yards :D now they are my bitches and i'm taking them out for fun (well i was till 5 of em rushed me at once last night, 1 with a missile launcher)

As for the return for profit missions mentioned in the opening post, i am doing the two you mentioned, however i am also waiting for people to fall asleep and then wandering around thieving everything that isn't nailed down.. who said you can't have your cake and eat it?

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
i just started playing again this past weekend on my pc (i had previously got to megaton and then stopped when i found out i needed to start again signed into live to record the achievements) and i'm loving it so far :D had my first encounter with a super mutant on sunday, came out of a subway and he was right there infront of my level 6 self - no time to run away so i just thought i'd 'ave a go and apparently the shotgun is awfully good at removing super mutant heads from about 5 yards :D now they are my bitches and i'm taking them out for fun (well i was till 5 of em rushed me at once last night, 1 with a missile launcher)

As for the return for profit missions mentioned in the opening post, i am doing the two you mentioned, however i am also waiting for people to fall asleep and then wandering around thieving everything that isn't nailed down.. who said you can't have your cake and eat it?

Hehehe your just like me when I first played fallout shotguns are awesome yo if you go to evergreen mills and go to the bazaar in the mill (careful it's a major raider base u might wanna snipe a electric fence generater to let out a little hells furry) look for a guy call smilein' Jak kill em for a bad ass shotgun lol if you wanna know places for sweet weapons or armor just ask I don't sleep just play fallout @,..,@ oh yeh you may wanna see if you can get fallout for computer yay for mods they got a mod so you can ride things like a ant queen or one of those super mutent watch dog things

Kelltic

As for the Family, I kept them alive to sell bloodpacks to, but also then stole anything I could get my hands on - the little area in the back under the escalators is full of stuff, and no-one noticed me stealing everything I found there.

UnGreat

The bloke who runs the shop in The Family hideout likes to wander off.

The shop is just far enough away from everyone that it's pretty easy to swipe stuff without being noticed once he's gone. Loads of scrap metal to sell to Walter in Megaton and other stuff.

Kinetic Frenzy

I love this game but ended up no longer playing it as i'd end up quiting my job in order to devote the time needed to play it properly :rotfl:

still love reading about it :thumbsup:

Zooks

I love this game but ended up no longer playing it as i'd end up quiting my job in order to devote the time needed to play it properly :rotfl:

still love reading about it :thumbsup:

Sympathise with you there. Ive easily put 60 hours into this and although ive done all the achievement quests im still not quite finished.
Shift work helps though :D

Marc

Distinguished Member
I haven't played it for a couple of weeks now. I had got the nuka cola quest and i ended up in some town overrun by Deathclaws, and at level 17 they are pretty damn hard to kill. I figured i'd leave and do some other missions but i decided to take a few days off, and just haven't returned. I'd like to think i will, but i haven't been in a gaming mood for ages :(

Shadow Cat

Standard Member
I haven't played it for a couple of weeks now. I had got the nuka cola quest and i ended up in some town overrun by Deathclaws, and at level 17 they are pretty damn hard to kill. I figured i'd leave and do some other missions but i decided to take a few days off, and just haven't returned. I'd like to think i will, but i haven't been in a gaming mood for ages :(

yo try usein bottlecap mines

Marc

Distinguished Member
yo try usein bottlecap mines

yeah that was the method i had most success with, but it takes 2 of them to kill one, and i only had 6 of them.. i was left trying to take them out with the machine gun and plasma rifle, neither of which did much damage!

Fen Star

yeah that was the method i had most success with, but it takes 2 of them to kill one, and i only had 6 of them.. i was left trying to take them out with the machine gun and plasma rifle, neither of which did much damage!

Minigun, Gatling Laser or the Alien Blaster dispatches them quite well....:thumbsup:

smallclanger

Keep at it, if you have any frag mines they are also useful if placed well , creep forward drop a mine then back away before firing another weapon then they will rush you and step on the mine(s).

It's a great feeling when you finally win that battle with almost zero health and your heart (in game and real life) pumping away!

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom