1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

killing jokes most recent album

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Oct 24, 2003.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water......................along comes this album.

Its been out for a while now and I have had it since it was released, but felt it was rather uninspiring.

A few months later and a Forum member suggested that it would be worth going to a KJ gig, I hadnt even noticed they were touring:blush: and as you do in these situations, out came the album for a spin before the gig started, yeah not bad, should be able to remember enough to do the air punches in the right place :rolleyes:

Next day, the album was still in the cars cd player and as it was difficult to hear very much, due to the pummelling of the previous night and a lazy affliction, on it went.

Here we are 5 days later and its still playing, constanly searching the web for KJ Tabs and trying to find out what Geordie Walker uses to get that sound from his instrument. Whoa did I say instrument, I meant chain saw.

This is a good album, its worthy of a bit of attention, it screams out its political angst against multi national corporations. Coleman has never sounded better, his voice as much an instrument as Geordies guitar. Typically well crafted bass and keyboard work...........not to mention the thundering drums of one Mr Grohl.....Gambit take note.

Its not quite as good as the first album, but doesnt really live in its shadow either. The rythmns are strong and theres not many could do it better.
    If you like KJ or fancy something noisy and grinding, you could do worse.

7.5/10

2. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It certainly is a return to form though, as you say, not as good as the first. My own personal favourite has to be 'Night Time' especially 'Darkness Before Dawn'

I take it DG wasn't playing drums at the gig??

Ratso:)

3. Chownie

Chownie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm new to killing joke after my mate introduced them to me. I find their new album awsome and is my most played cd at the moment. I have listened to the Fire Dances album and although ok I prefer the new stuff. I went to their concert at the Astoria in London and thought it was superb, I was partially deaf for 3 days. I also rated the support band Quenn Adreena and may buy one of their albums to try it out.

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I did hope a guest appearance for the final gig, obviously too knackered after months of gigging.

5. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    I got it a few months ago, listened to it a few times, to be honest though I couldn't really get into it, may have another listen later. There are a few storming tracks on the album, but apart from that it didn't think it was something I could listen over and over.

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Shoka,

thats exactly what I thought, but its grown on me the more I listened to it. To be honest I was well ready to stick it on ebay, thought that it was a right lemon.
    Im not certain, but it seems to sound better on my car hi fi (standard VW Passat system).

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    I think thats exactly what KJ had in mind with this album, a new following, not us old jaded b**tards dwelling on the past glories.

Anyway, forget Fire Dances and get the original KJ self titled album, thats where the opening live songs came from. Requiem and Wardance.

Signed,

Partially deaf as well

8. Chownie

Chownie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My mates got all their albums so I'll borrow them and have a listen. Cheers!