1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Killer Sub - danger of death??

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bertha, Dec 27, 2004.

1. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Hello all (& Merry Christmas)..I got an el cheapo starlogic dvd player for my daughter which comes with a subwoofer & surround speakers (from Amazon), setting it up on Christmas morning ...guess what no sound! The dvd works fine, quite good actually for the cash but the sub wont come on and this controls all the speakers.

When I lifted it to have a look at it it came on momentarily..hmm might be the plug..nope plug looks fine..I moved it about some more it came on again..there is a little sticker on the back that says 'Caution risk of electric shock if opened..or something' - here's the question - can you get an electric shock from a sub when it's been unplugged for a good while?

If it is just a loose wire that I could reconnect (I am not an electrician if you haven't already guessed but if it is obvious then I should manage that) rather than have to send it back to Amazon or China or wherever in which case I'll most likely die of old age before I get it back!

Any advice welcomed - remember my life will be on your conscience if your winding me up!!

Thanks as always
    Berth :eek:

2. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    anyone?

I'm holding a scewdriver and I'm not afraid to use it..

Well actually I am thats why I'm asking...

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If it's unplugged you'll be fine. Obviously make sure that it is unplugged and that you make good any connections that you loosened/moved afterwards - remember that the youngest person you know could find their way around to the back!

Personally, I'd be inclined to send it back though because opening it will certainly invalidate almost any warranty!

4. Spyro

Spyro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    If it is un-plugged from the mains and totally isolated electrically then it should be safe to open. Not meaning to be rude, but if you have to ask that question I would not open it up at all. You might disturb something else and cause further problems and possibly create a fire risk. Even the cheapest of electrical equipment now uses components that are generally non user servicable. Amazon are pretty good on the returns. Instead of invalidating the warranty by opening it up why don't you send it back for a replacement?

5. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I agree with Spyro, check the plug fuse, if not htat get whoever you bought it off to sort it out.

6. ajkean

ajkean
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm an electrical engineer and I'd probably send it back because the fault might not be visible, then you're into meters and circuit diagrams... Send it back! Mind you, I did take an Isotek Gll Vision apart before I sent it back! Fantastic cabinet but can't say that they're worth £550, but that's another story!

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    I'm not a sparky, but I would have thought you could still get a nasty shock with it unplugged because of the capacitors contained in the amp/power supply.

8. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I have had a kick off some large caps ,not nice ,if you leave it long enough any capacitors will discharge.

9. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    cheers for the replys - yup had considered all of the above I was hoping that I could have a peek to see if it was obvious but I'll take your advice & send the beast back..thanks as always

Berth :smoke:

10. bertha

bertha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    credit where credits due - Amazon have already sent me a replacement!! Now that is service..and I am still alive which is a bonus

thanks again

Berth :thumbsup: