Killer Joe Blu-ray Review

Tech News

News Supplying Robot
“You insult me again, and I’ll cut your face off and wear it over my own.”

Boasting what is undoubtedly Matthew McConaughey’s all-time greatest performance, Killer Joe is not for the faint-hearted. You will certainly never look at fried chicken the same way again. Brooding and atmospheric, dark and unremittingly intense, it has some truly shocking moments of violence and sadism, and the kind of twisted trailer-trash plot that the Coen Brothers would be proud of.

77-year-old director William Friedkin makes something of a comeback with this punishingly brutal drama – the man who will probably always be best remembered for The French Connection and The Exorcist, although he’s done a few more gems like the underrated To Live and Die in LA and the tense Wages of Fear remake, Sorcerer. Unfortunately the years haven’t been kind to Friedkin, and...

Read the full review...

Mshulla

i rented this film and it's one of the worst i have ever seen, boring and senseless.

MM is an awful actor.

Couldn't disagree more. MM's acting abilities have been much maligned but I think he played this part beautifully.

The movie will obviously divide opinion, for my part I really enjoyed it and will be getting the blu.

signs

Banned
i rented this film and it's one of the worst i have ever seen, boring and senseless.

MM is an awful actor.

Nooooo

Couldn't disagree more. MM's acting abilities have been much maligned but I think he played this part beautifully.

The movie will obviously divide opinion, for my part I really enjoyed it and will be getting the blu.

Yessss, couldn't agree more , excellent ,and shocking !

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Sometimes I really think the reach of some of the reviewers on here definitely exceeds their grasp.

William Friedkin is not the Director of Photography (Caleb Deschanel is) and comments as to his capability with HD format as he's not actually responsible for the photography are irrelevant if you have any understanding of what's involved in making a film.

Secondally the film was shot on an Alexa camera which is not regarded as a high definition camera ; Alexa can shoot high definition video (1920x1080 rec 709 video) but is more often used to capture in linear or log colorspace.

Please stop commenting on areas you have zero understanding of.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Sometimes I really think the reach of some of the reviewers on here definitely exceeds their grasp.

William Friedkin is not the Director of Photography (Caleb Deschanel is) and comments as to his capability with HD format as he's not actually responsible for the photography are irrelevant if you have any understanding of what's involved in making a film.

Secondally the film was shot on an Alexa camera which is not regarded as a high definition camera ; Alexa can shoot high definition video (1920x1080 rec 709 video) but is more often used to capture in linear or log colorspace.

Please stop commenting on areas you have zero understanding of.

Sometimes I really think the reach of some of the forumites on here definitely exceeds their eyesight.

"Considering this is Friedkin’s first major release in a decade, I choose to blame him – after all, if he cared at all about his work then his stamp of approval would have gone over every single moment in the end product."

Please stop commenting on reviews which you clearly haven't read.

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Sometimes I really think the reach of some of the forumites on here definitely exceeds their eyesight.

"Considering this is Friedkin’s first major release in a decade, I choose to blame him – after all, if he cared at all about his work then his stamp of approval would have gone over every single moment in the end product."

Please stop commenting on reviews which you clearly haven't read.

Whether you blame Friedkin or not is a cop out: he's the Director not the DOP (Director of Photography) .

The review is fine but why allude to the film making process behind it that you clearly have no experience of. You don't need to make such assumptions it undermines the rest of your review.

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Whether you blame Friedkin or not is a cop out: he's the Director not the DOP (Director of Photography) .

The review is fine but why allude to the film making process behind it that you clearly have no experience of. You don't need to make such assumptions it undermines the rest of your review.

I don't really know what your major malfunction is but I'm not trying to say that the Director is the DOP and your assumption of the same is condescending in the extreme.

I don't care that the DOP and the Editor contributed towards making the film look this way, what I am saying is that a famous director who has not made a major film in a decade has released a movie with his stamp of approval over it and the end product is simply not up to scratch.

He's not a first time director, are you trying to say he just did not watch the footage after the DOP shot it and the Editor edited it??

I don't much care whether or not you think my review is 'fine', I haven't undermined anything. You should get off your high horse and realise the bigger picture to what I'm saying. You have your head so far stuck up the filmmaking process's behind that you don't appear to see that it's the director who pays the price for what his crew do, and if your name is William frakking Friedkin, you better make sure they do a good job, otherwise it's only your reputation that will pay the price.

Is that clearer? Or do you still think I know nothing?

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
I think if you publish a review for public consumption you should be prepared yo accept criticism.

And Cas I know you don't have any real experience about the film making process ( I wouldn't say you don't know anything about film ) purely by the fact that you've held the director acountable for the photography : which I also disagree is a negative aspect of this film.

However your reaction seems unecessarily attacking so that is all I will say on this matter.

Simon Crust

Movie Reviewer
However your reaction seems unecessarily attacking so that is all I will say on this matter.

Rich coming from someone who went on the attack in the first place

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
Its a REVIEW. Don't like criticism then don't bother publishing them.
And generally I find the quality of reviews on here bland and amateurish in the extreme. A real dive from years past to be honest. Maybe you should change your vetting protocol.

Simon Crust

Movie Reviewer
Its a REVIEW. Don't like criticism then don't bother publishing them.
And generally I find the quality of reviews on here bland and amateurish in the extreme. A real dive from years past to be honest. Maybe you should change your vetting protocol.

How dare you

You are unbelievable insulting to me, my team and the site as a whole

I don't see any criticism in any of of your posts just pure venom

I'd love to see you try and do what we do, but you wouldn't would you, far easier to try and pick a fight

Don't like what we do, don't read them and don't comment

Mr.D

Distinguished Member
How dare you

You are unbelievable insulting to me, my team and the site as a whole

I don't see any criticism in any of of your posts just pure venom

I'd love to see you try and do what we do, but you wouldn't would you, far easier to try and pick a fight

Don't like what we do, don't read them and don't comment

Well on the interests of keeping the peace I won't spend any more of my time reading your film reviews.
I'm usually too busy making them anyway.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I did not like the movie and especially the fried chicken scene, it made for uncomfortable watching.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thankfully it was a rental Dodge and fortunately as a lovefilm rental was effectively cheap as part of my 3 at a time membership.If I had paid £3.50 or whatever Blockbuster charge I would have been well cheesed off.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom