1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Killed tv with service menu

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by breezeman, Oct 18, 2005.

1. breezeman

breezeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been so dumb to mess with service menu settings on my philips 32pw8106
    (widescreen) tv by entering 062*** menu on the remote. I tried to correct some geomert and then it went to standby.

Now when I turn the tv on there is no picture and a continuous blinking of
    the channel LED. And so I can't get into the menu to change it back since I
    don't see anything and I am not sure it still listens to the remote.

Is there a way to reset to service default so I can at least get a picture
    again (without shorting the service pins)? Perhaps another remote code, or
    would a dealer remote control help with this? Tried leaving it unplugged for a day but no success...

Thanks

2. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    have you unplugged it and left it for a while before plugging back in and retrying?

3. breezeman

breezeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah about a day without success

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +774
    I would imagine there is a way to reset the menu back to the default - though this will almost certainly give a terrible picture as all sets are (very briefly) manually setup post manufacture to correct for the small variances in components.

May just be time to bite the bullet and get a philips repairer to sort it out (and learn why they dont give the service menu access to the general public as standard)

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Oops breezeman :( Don't blame ya for getting fedup with poor geometry and trying to address it yourself but if TV's were setup right in the first place then this wouldn't have happened. Let Philips sort you out, its the least they can do.

6. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry but if you brought a car that wasn't running right but you decided to tinker with it would you expect the manufacturer to sort it out? If your not happy with something take it back! Tinkering yourself when you don't know what you are doing can cause problems like this,you can't expect the supplier or manufacturer to sort it out as if it's the "least they can do" if you caused the problem!!

7. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah i see the angle you are taking there but if a Tv has poor geometry then the blame lies with the manufacturer and in this case although it was a stupid thing to do to try and fix it yourself i think Philips should help the fella out.

8. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Nope, Breezeman has only himself to blame.
    Maybe it didn't occur to him that his geometry problem could have been down to a faulty component within the set and not just poor setup.
    The vast majority of the bigger manufacturers sets are within acceptable limits straight out of the box.
    People shouldn't tinker when they don't fully understand what they're doing. :lesson:
    I've seen too many good sets ruined beyond repair by inexperienced amateurs hoping to save a few pennies and impress the missus.

9. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Breezeman,

I am so sorry to hear of your disaster. Did you press the MENU button when you finished to exit the Service Code?

Eventually I remembered the name of the member who posted this information in 29.4.2002 on this forum. It was Zacabeb. It may not be of help but will be of interest and maybe the website has some information. This is the complete text from his post.

"Zacabeb

The service menu is a very dangerous place to enter on the Philips sets. The menu is more comprehensible and straightforward than on many other brands, but there are two things you must know before you enter it.

1. If you enter the service menu code incorrectly, you will reset the entire chassis to default - not the default adjusted by the factory, but the pre-programmed defaults of the chassis as they were before the factory adjusted the set.

2. There is a dangerous option called 'Initialize NVM' in the service menu. This clears the Non-Volatile Memory used to store all the chassis settings, and as such it will also reset the chassis to its pre-adjustment default.

Both of them can mess your TV up so badly it will be a nightmare even for a service engineer to recalibrate the TV.

If you still dare, you can enter the service menu, using a numeric code. You can find that code at:

http://home.hcnet.nl/m.majoor/

Start your mission by carefully stepping through the menus and writing every setting down, including the option code.

Of course you have to do all of that at your own risk"

Pretty frightening isn't it. I have a Philips tv myself and have never had the courage or necessity to enter the service menu althought lots of members have done so.

Please let us know what happens eventually or I will always be wondering!

10. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Come on guys,give breezeman a break,he posted for help not a moral stance.

11. sbowler

sbowler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Doh........ try leaving it unplugged for 3 weeks, just guessing it may help, as AV fans we all tinker with things most of the general public wouldnt touch. I sympathise with you on getting caught out. Hope things work out and if the service angineer has no luck with it, then maybe its time it had an accident.... know what i mean....

12. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,669
    If you took it in for a repair, simply stating that it has stopped working, without going into any detail as to why or how, then you'd be telling the truth, and nothing but the truth (but not the whole truth).

13. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    ??? why would that occur to anyone?! If my car broke down and I called the AA, and they tried to charge me because I filled it with petrol instead of diesel when in my mind I hadnt, and they said "maybe it didnt occur to you that the petrol pump colours were the wrong way round where you filled up" I would be gobsmacked!

Again an unfair quote. Most people with decent spec TV's are generally "technically aware" and no doubt have all adjusted the geometry on TFT monitors and CRT monitors etc, hence no reason to believe doing the same on a bigger TV should make any difference, not to impress the missus (she wouldnt be) or save a few pennies (why would you pay a TV engineer [like yourself] to come and "fix" a new TV?!)

14. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Monitors have always had, by convention, user adjustable controls to adjust height/width/colour temperature etc...no real damage can be caused by incorrect adjustment so their menu is readily available...not hidden.

Televisions on the other hand have a lot more option settings. As well as geometry there are various settings for different countries and transmission standards and can be rendered useless by an incorrect setting so their adjustment (or service) menu is generally hidden and only made available to the servicing trade via the service manual or manufacturer.
    A properly trained technician knows and understands what each adjustment is for.
    I believe it is unfortunate that these hidden menu access codes have become readily available on forums such as this as...we have seen the results of incorrect adjustments by "enthusiasts" tinkering and then wishing they hadn't.

15. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've gota agree witn Jaycee-the service menu on a domestic TV is "hidden",it not for you & me it's for service engineers. But lets try & help the guy out ;) I merely posted what i did because as a business owner i feel it unfair to expect the retailer/manufacturer to sort this one out,but maybe we can??

16. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I take my hat off to him. Even with 20yrs of experience and years of college behind me I have made the odd slip up. Who hasnt. Take it on the chin and get your wallet out.

17. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    Unless, of course, the engineer happens to be a member of AV Forums. Then he might work out the whole truth.

18. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Fair enough, in that case for TV's with issues including mine where the geometry is not perfect, I hope Toshiba will send an engineer round (properly trained) who can adjust it for me and get it setup perfectly considering when it left Toshiba's factory it wasnt done then. All free of course, after all its only a month or two old and under warranty.

How likely is this to happen? Not very!

19. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    What large screen CRT is perfect...no doubt the manufacturer will say it is within spec but if you are not happy contact the retailer where you bought it and complain.

20. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    very few are, but it appears that most people make the same complaint when units are sent out - that the default settings (which appear different per set) are pretty poor hence the manufacturers should be doing their best to set the TV's up with a THX disc or the like beforehand so that people are happy, recommend the product to others, and the manufacturer doesnt then have to pay for engineers to visit homes to sort them out.

21. zircon3035

zircon3035

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    Sadly some of the geometry problems that regularly come up cannot be corrected: they are due to cost constrains and limitations in the deflection yoke design.

While you can usually adjust parabola, keystone and trapezium settings in the factory mode, horizontal bending (droop or lift) at the sides of the screen is mostly a limitation of the delfection yoke and picture tube.

22. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    THX disc - you're having a laugh aren't you :rotfl:

Most ordinary folk are happy with the picture they see at Dixons/Curry. They won't pay for a better SCART lead when one is supplied FOC, and they have no desire to go tinkering with the service menus. In fact, they don't even bother to adjust the colour contrast and brightness to stop everyone looking the colour of the basket love child of David Dickenson and Dale Winton.

There is a service available to have a display properly calibrated. It is called ISF Calibration. It can't make a silk purse from a sows ear, but it will give a much more natural picture than the default settings.

So why aren't manufacturers doing this as standard, you might ask. The answer is really simple. Properly calibrated sets don't look as impressive on the shop floor and that means they don't sell. Consumers expect searing overblown colour and DAZ blue'ish whites.

Regards

23. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris

Have you got experience of the ISF Calibration then? And is it available in Cheshire?

cheers

24. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I'm not ISF trained, if that's what you are asking. There are 4 people I know of doing freelance ISF calibration in the UK. Perhaps the best known is Gordon Fraser of [size=-1]Convergent AV[/size]. Gordon has done calibration for a number of other forum members. He will travel.

Here's a list of other ISF trained UK dealers/manufacturers taken from the ISF web site Liverpool and Shroppshire are reasonably close. Some of these companies will only provide calibration of their own installations. You should inquire if calibration is available separately.

[size=-1]Arcam Cambridge [/size] [size=-1]Billy Vee Sound Systems Ltd London [/size] [size=-1]Cinema Experience London [/size] [size=-1]Convergent AV Blackwood, Scotland [/size] [size=-1]Fujitsu General (UK) Co. Ltd Elstree [/size] [size=-1]Graham Goodbun Hertfordshire Area [/size] [size=-1]Holburn HiFi Aberdeen [/size] [size=-1]Home Cinema Engineering Shifnal, Shropshire [/size] [size=-1]Pounds Enfield [/size] [size=-1]Precision Cinema Bristol [/size] [size=-1]Sonitus London [/size] [size=-1]Soundcraft Hi-Fi Ashford [/size] [size=-1]Stamos, Dimitris Liverpool [/size] [size=-1]Zebra South Croydon, Surrey [/size]

Regards

25. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Chris

sorry re-phrase, have you got experience of the service ie had it yourself or seen it done etc? and any idea on cost?

cheers

26. breezeman

breezeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, here a message from me again (the one messing up his tv). I agree with all I shouldn't have messed with it but can't resist secret menu's.

Left it of for a month, no difference.
    Just thought perhaps I only messed up 4:3 geometry so I turn the tv on and as soon as it is on I plug in a scart with a 16:9 signal and I have picture again!
    At least now I can see the service menu and will try to restore the normal allignment.

27. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    :cool: :thumbsup: Just shows don't give up, there is an answer. Possibly luck prevailed this time tho'.

28. breezeman

breezeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah sure it was luck that the widescreen mode still worked. Got all modes realligned again. Only cant get smartzoom to work (when I go to smartzoom allignment tv switches a wrong allignment before I can adust anything). But then who needs smartzoom.

Also my tv looks a lot better now since I have been watching on a small screen on the pc now for a few weeks since it was broken.

29. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I take it you are going to leave it alone now?

30. breezeman

breezeman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, lesson learned (I hope...)