1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill Bill Ripoff

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by grey torq, Apr 24, 2004.

1. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just watched Kill Bill for the first time on DVD (Jap R2).
    Without spoilers this is the most blatent studio driven cash in I have ever watched, Part 1 - exactly this is half a film and blatently half a film.

Imagine watching a long epic film like Ben Hur and leaving at the intermission, then waiting 4 months to see the rest.

In 2 years time we will look back and Kill Bill will be one movie on one DVD and when it goes on TV it will be one film.

I'd like to have an opinion on the film itself but I havn't seen it, it only just got started.

Miramax should be deeply ashamed of what they are doing with Tarantinos reputation.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    matrix 2 and 3 were the same

3. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at least with the matrix it was decided to make two films (2 and 3)from the start, personally no films would have been perferable

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have just got home after watching Vol. 2 as it is so subtly called, and believe me Tarantino could have edited one hell of a movie from the bloated two episodes on offer. If miramax have a fault it is allowing Q.T free reign when the advise of a good editor would've had us all begging for more.

5. shedsounds

shedsounds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree, I accept that KB1 was obviously incomlete but it was / is such a thrill ride and wonderfully shot / presented that frankly I really dont care. Testament to this is the fact I've watched KB1 probably a dozen times since it came out, Ive watched KB2 3 times this last week and that too stands alone as wonderful bit of cinema.

6. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I am not saying I didn't think it was good - I just think it's ridiculous to present it as 2 films.

They are making you pay twice for what is one movie and buy it twice on DVD until they eventually present the film as it always should have been in a special edition cut as one film.

At least Matrix 2 & 3 stand up as films in their own right a little better.

I was just getting interested and intrigued when the film stopped!

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    How is this different from LOTR?

8. grey torq

grey torq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    LOTR?!

Each film stands on it's own quite easily and like star wars etc they build to a climax or payoff, they are quite clearly individual films.

Kill Bill begins to unravel a character driven plot and stops.
    Imagine Resevoir Dogs introducing and giving the back story of just 2 or 3 of it's main characters and then just stopping.

9. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I totally disagree. Not so much, or even at all , with TTT or ROTK but FOTR didn't even feel like half a film, it felt like the first 20 mins of one! A far worse offender than Kill bill IMO.

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,826
    You clearly saw a different trilogy to the rest of us then....

11. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    "Personally no films would have been preferable"

Movie features are goods produced and sold primarily for reasons of financial gain. The fact that we are even are watching them and talking about them only proves that product if desirable and has its market.

Tarantino, Truman and the rest sell their skills for fee.

I find amazing that these simple relationships are lost on so many?

Well performing film costs approx. $200m and it will over the period of five years earn in total close $1bn (initial screenings, DVD, TV, soundtrack, related merchandise, etc). Entertainment industry, especially globalize Hollywood based, if phenomenal money spinner.

Maybe James45 is personally so rich that passing on exceptional profit opportunity is not a big deal to him, but I can see huge line of others very keen to make an extra buck, and what a big buck those Matrix movies brought.

12. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Agreed that Kill Bill could have quite easily have been condensed into one film. Volume 2 was excruciatingly boring. Fanboy's around the world wet themselves, whilst I slept. Don't know what the big deal is about :confused: (want a Shaw bros. film, then go rent one!).

I believe Miramax decided to cut the films into two and it shows IMHO. Definately overated.
    The LOTR trilogy does stand on it's own, with the TT being the weakest of the three (standalone).

13. lovemovies

lovemovies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I loved Kill Bill V1, but when I left the cinema I did think it should have been just one two and a half hour movie. I haven't seen V2 yet so I could be wrong.

14. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    QT is talking about merging KBs 1&2 into one long version, for 'arthouse' release, but I would expect to see it on DVD as well. I just hope that sooner or later, both versions will be released unrated, in one form or another, as I'm sick of trying to find an uncut version of KB1!

15. ebury

ebury

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Why KEEP looking for an uncut version of KB1,when you know it comes from japan???:confused:
    Or do you mean a cheap version?:D :rotfl:

16. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, as you might have noticed in other threads, there has so far been at least two versions advertised as being the Jap Uncut version, those being CD-WOW's Korean R3, and dvdfromasia's Thai Uncut R3. Both of these were significantly cheaper than the R2 Jap version, but have turned out to be the 'normal' US / UK cut version. So, yes, I am still considering where to get a real uncut version, and obviously the cheaper the better!

17. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres a good article he did for Fangoria Magazine although you have to buy the full magazine for all of it (( i get this magazine every month and have done for the last 15 years )) :)

http://www.fangoria.com/fearful_feature.php?id=1483

Tarantino himself states that it was his decision to go with 2 film's and he intends to edit together both films and make one long film for limited theatrical release in America later this year and then no doubt DVD, it will be different to part 1 and 2 and will contain unseen footage (( including some of the more violent Japanese footage )) and won't just be both films edited together, so those collectors who want all versions are going to pay through the nose over the next 12 months.

18. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got to echo what many of you are saying. I saw Vol. 2 on Friday, and thought most of it was tedious. It was an opening night crowd and a packed theatre, and they were silent thoughout except for a few laughs at weak jokes.

I liked Vol. 1, but felt that the first 30 minutes could have been cut without losing anything noteworthy. (yep, I would have cut Vivica entirely) After watching Vol. 2, I'm convinced that if this entire film (both volumes) was cut down into a 1.5 hour film, it would be great. As it is, it's just Tarantino masturbating onscreen for 4+ hours. ;) I've never seen a film that would benefit more from tighter editing.

Plus, I think the plot was hurt by splitting it in two.

SPOILER!
    I'd like to hope that the line at the end of Vol. 1 (does she know her daughter is still alive?) was tacked on to give the first volume a cliffhanger and give the audience some insight into the second volume. Note, that it's just an overdub, and could have easily been added after the film was split in two.

But just imagine how much more impact the "fake gunfight" scene would have had if the audience never knew that the kid was still alive? It would have been jawdropping to see Bill playing around with this kid.

Throughout most of Vol. 2, I was thinking that this is a mediocre homage to samurai and chop-socky flicks, and that I'd be having a lot more fun watching one of the originals. Vol. 1 had the brilliant Crazy 88 fight to make up for painful dialogue, but Vol. 2 had nothing.

19. Metallifux

Metallifux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Correct me if I am wrong but nobody is forcing you to buy the 2 seperate DVD's. I personally am waiting for the edited together edition.

20. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Actually,

Tarantino originally wanted 2 films for his next project.

When he filmed he decided to make 1 long film. But then they realised that no one is going to like a 4+ hour film so he split it in 2.

Richard Lester did the same thing with the The Three Muskateers and The Four Muskateers.

Nothing wrong with splitting a film up if it means most of it is not left on the cutting room floor.

I have actually watched loads of Asian cinema and I think Tarantino got it spot on. Especially the end of Vol1.

21. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    **spoilers** I'm not giving anything away, other than what has allready been said but...

I watched Kill Bill Vol 1 last night and was disappointed with the ending. Whilst I enjoyed what I saw It simply wasn't a complete product, I kind of expected an ending of sorts but there just wasn't one. My missus was even more disappointed given that she's neither a QT fan or martial/action fan.

I don't mind film serialisations, or sequels where the film can be seen as complete in itself. Here I would class the first Matrix, I thought it was a good chapter with an ending (the second one though didn't ).

What I don't like is making films which aren't complete without their sequels (although I can forgive Peter Jackson due to the epic proportion of what he set out to acheive). This is OK for TV stuff like Prime suspect, where they split it up because of length. I love film because for 2hrs or so I know I'm going to get a complete story, beginning , middle and end. If films are going to continue stop in the middle and make me wait for 6 months I may as well watch Coronation Street with the missus, at least I know I'll find out in the next couple of days ;).

QT could have told this story in one 3hr blast, as said in previous posts this may have put people off watching it other than die hards. I wouldn't have felt cheated though.

Not seen Vol 2 yet, but I get the sense that it is all down to $$$$.

However, after all this I did really enjoy what I saw and will be getting the "cut-together" edition.:boring:

22. lee789

lee789

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Damn smilies - got them in the wrong places oooops.....

23. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because no cinema audience would sit through a nine-hour (minimum) film, it had to be made in three parts even though it feels like one film.

:boring: I was simply pointing out that the second and third parts of the matrix trilogy were the cinematic equivalent of having your teeth pulled.:smashin: If you're going to make a movie at least try to make a good one.

The simple fact is that Kill Bill was made as one film and the decision was made after the fact to hack it in two and double the profits... that's taking the mickey out of your customers as far as I'm concerned.

24. Harj

Harj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I think Vol 2 was a let down, if anything Vol 1 had the climatic battle scene (s) more tension, everything you want towards the end of the movie, Vol 2 just does not seem like an extension of 1, if watching back to back I certaintly would find it difficult to watch as one movie as each of the volumes has its own pace, much slower in 2.

Also the plot was very, very basic and alot of it unanswered.

On a another note i found the dialogue quite tiresome, and Michael Madsen so annoying, the chap cannot act, he only squints his eyes and speaks slowly.

Possible Spoilers Warning

A lot of unanswerd questions in Vol2, we never found out who the Assasinns were and who they worked for (and who they killed), I also found the training scenes rushed.

Why did Uma get given a torch when buried alive? 6/10