1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill Bill Jap £10 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Simon6776, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Can someone who can spot bootlegs check this out, please? This may well be a boot, but I'm thinking of taking a chance. It may still be OK quality, if it's a DVD Rip, and it will do while I'm waiting for an official R1 unrated version, if one ever appears. I wouldn't normally buy bootlegs, but I'm not that much of a KB fanatic to spend over £20 on the official Jap version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6303472237

2. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Looks ok.. that is the proper Jpn cover... Cdwow I think sell the Jpn version for about £18.

Matt

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Mate look at the Display format - It states Full Screen

RON

4. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah, I saw that. Was hoping it might be a mistake, but that could be why it's cheap. :rolleyes:

5. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    If I were you wouldn't touch it with a barge pole

6. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Just noticed he has 11 available... now it looks like a boot

7. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Saw what you said before editing, and I agree, Ron. I wouldn't normally touch bootlegs, but as this one could be genuine (although I have my doubts), and as the seller has good feedback, I thought I'd take the gamble. The seller requested cheques, but there was also a Paypal option, so I have used that, and sent a note saying "Oops, sorry mate, didn't spot you wanted cheques", so I'll see what happens. I now have PayPal to fall back on if he doesn't send it, and the option of leaving bad feedback if it turns out to be a boot.

8. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Hi

Yep edited the post as I didn't want your post to turn into a debat about bootlegs DVD's

Hope it all works out for you

RON

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I am looking at buying Kill Bill uncut on Ebay at the moment too.

There is one guy selling 19 copies which he says are all sealed and genuine and he lives pretty close to me so I emailed him and asked if I could get the DVD direct from him to save the £3 postage...this will give me the chance to have a look and see that the DVD is in fact the real deal and not a burnt copy.

10. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,934
    I sent an email to the guy selling Kill Bill Uncut for £10 on eBay and he said this...

hi andrew
    this is a copy but it is 100% perfect you would not tell the differance on the case or disc itself its all identical, if you would like to check out my feedback you will see that i do not and will not sell rubbish as im am continuing to sell and the last thing im going to do is jepordise my status on ebay. its not me that makes the copies i pay a professional to do so and he does a 100% perfect job as he has spend hundreds of pounds on the equipment. thanks for your interest.
    daren

So if anyone bought this expecting to recieve and original they are in for a suprise.

11. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I've bought one now. :rolleyes: I suppose I expected it really, otherwise, why would he be selling them for £10?

So, now the moral question. I don't approve of bootlegs, and don't usually buy them, but if this is as good a replica as he makes out, albeit, still an illegal copy, what sort of feedback do I give him? He never said they were the genuine article, and I bought it, half expecting it to be a copy, but with a vague, possibly naive hope that it might not be. For a tenner, I don't feel I've been ripped off, but the seller is obviously a professional bootlegger, if, as he states, he pays a professional to make the copies. Hmmmm....

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Well I know it is the old chesnut the likes of FACT keep telling us ' the money these people make from this goes towards drugs and other organised crime...' etc etc...but I still can't abide illegal copies of movies no matter what the money is being used for.

I have a friend who does loads and I know that the money is not used for anything like drugs or crime...it is used on nice holidays and home improvements. He often lets me watch some of the new movies he gets and they are pretty much perfect but even though he has offered on numerous occasions to make me copies of whatever I want for free I still always buy genuine copies if I like a movie of his I have borrowed.

13. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'd just like to point out that I do have over 400 genuine DVDs which I have bought, including a genuine R2 version of Kill Bill. I'm not in the habit of buying bootlegs, and, although I have the facilities, I don't even copy my own DVDs. In hindsight, it's quite obvious this is a boot (from the price alone), and I suppose I was a bit naive hoping it could be anything else.

I will add, however, that I don't buy into the ethos that 'DVD piracy is killing film making'. When you consider that, for example, Kill Bill, will be relased at least three or four times, in different editions and people like us will buy them, and further consider the hundreds of films that have been, and will be, released in two or three different editions (which the film companies don't always tell us about), you have to ask, who's robbing who?

14. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Oh Boy!

I knew it would happen
    Simon6776 I'm prone to agree with your point about the movie industry not suffering too much because of bootlegs - I've now got 5 different versions of the Fifth Element and would probably get another version if it came out (Still hoping for some deleted scenes) - So they have well and truly had there money out of me!

The main reason why I don't like bootlegs is what Cleric raised being the other unsavoury industries involved and moraly speaking it's stealing ( I know it sounds naive but I don't like the idea of ripping people off)

By the way I didn't think that you were into bootlegs - I figured that you are just like the rest of us here "Hoping that the bargain that seems to good to miss is truly a bargain"

At this rate we should get the mods to change the title to the Pros and Cons of Bootlegs

RON

15. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Spot on, Ron. :D I'm starting to work on the basis that if it looks too good to be true, it usually is. :rolleyes:

16. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Yep I'm the same - I bought a returned 36" TV from John Lewis 2 years ago for £750 instead of the retail price of £2000 - What I bargain I kept telling the missus as she was figuring out how much overdraft interest this was really going to cost us (while she kept reminding me that our 32 inch tosh was perfectly alright and would be to big for the bedroom) - We were actually looking for a TV for the bedroom - but when I saw this monster sanity went out the window and an debt came in

Well it's had 4 repairs in 2 years and been out of action for about six months due to the repairs

So maybe it wasn't such a bargain!

Saying that according the the repair company it's basically a brand new set now as basically everything has been replaced apart from the tube - So anybody reading this if I ever decide to sell don't be to afraid

17. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Please dont get me wrong from my post above...I didn't really make my point well enough :(

What I was trying to say is that it is the whole thing of where the money is going that is not clear cut so no matter who says they are doing them and how none of it is going into anything dodgy I just feel that if I were to start buying from my friend I would still be encouraging a business that has some very seedy sides to it.

I couldn't agree more though about how the consumer is being fleeced a lot of the time by the studios and that I dont buy into that '...killing movies' idea either.

18. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Cleric I thought you made your point very clear and I Couldn't agree with you more

You can never be sure where the money you spend ends up, but when we have had some strong indications that it could end up in pockets where we wish it wouldn't - we have some decissions to make. You position about your friend is a good example of having to make such choices - how far do you let your principles/morales (whatever you want to call them) slip before it's to far. It can be very tempting to just this once let it slide - The simple answer is to not let it slip in the first place - It's a bit of a win win situation a business with potential seedy connections does not get the promote and you are able to stand on the high ground by doing whats right

The good thing is that we and the forum all agree bootlegging is wrong

Appoligies Simon6776 for taking this way of topic

19. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Yes sorry for the change in topic.

Just to stay with the whole bootlegging thing for a moment though...befoe anyone says that if I am against bootlegging as I say I would report my friend for what he does...I really have no need to. He has been already been prosecuted twice for this but only recieved a minor fine on both occasions along with one of his PC's being taken off him. He now 'supplies' to quite a few of the local police force who have go to know him :(

I know it is all third hand information but he has said that they have told him on more than one occasion that the likes of him are not their worry it is the ones who use the money and business for other more dangerous purposes.

20. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    That's no problem, it's just becoming interesting! :D

So, to take a couple of steps back along the thread, assuming this DVD arrives, and it plays OK, what sort of feedback should I leave for the seller? If the boot (pardon the pun) was on the other foot, and I was the seller, and got a bad feedback, my immediate reaction would be, "what did you expect for a tenner?" On the other hand, the DVDs he is selling are, by his own admission, pirates, and therefore illegal. Should other e-bayers be warned, or can I assume most are more sensible then me? A general consensus of opinion would be useful, which I will read in the morning.

[​IMG]

21. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I suppose the best way to handle it would be to give neutral feedback and state that the seller gave very good and honest communication about the items not being original items.

He has been honest about what you will be getting but I know a few people who simply scan through positive feedback and just look for the neutral and negative to asses any problems they could have...so by leaving positive feedback with details about how the DVD is a bootleg may get missed by others thinking about buying this item.

Giving negative feedback goes back to the whole moral 'right or wrong' thing with regards to bootlegs I suppose so I am not sure about that.

22. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Now thats a bit difficult

To be honest I don't like this idea of neutral feedback - Whats it trying to say? basically nothing in that case I'd leave no feedback. When I've seen a few neutral feedback comments they have really been wimpy negatives

I suppose the point that bothers me is that people like us know that £10 for a Kill Bill Jap is KIND OFF (But not overly ) cheap so by buying it we have a good idea what we might be getting outselves into - If he had it priced at say £14 this thread probably would never have started). Anyway others not so much in the know may well expect it to be legit - Remember the only way we found out that it was bogus was by a frank response to an email. Not by him stating it was a pirate in the advert (which he wouldn't for obvious reasons) - Not all buyers ask such questions. In this regard they will not get what they expect (unless of course he did state on the advert) PIRATE BEWARE

If I was him I'd be expecting allot of negatives because people are still paying a fare sum of money for a pirate DVD it's not the couple of quid that you pay on Oxford Steet
    for the dodgey DVD that if it's rubbish it's not to much to loose

So what would I do - If I didn't know at the point of sale it was a pirate I'd retract my bid - If I couldn't retract I'd pay, leave a negative and state why

I know this sounds harsh but I can't think of a nice way of tackling this other than leaving no feedback and then some other poor sod may well buy not knowing its a dud

23. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have now asked him myself if it's a copy. I know we already know, but at least if I ask him myself, I can relate any feedback to his response.

A lot depends on the efficiency of the service, and the quality of the product. As has been previously said, for obvious reasons, he couldn't state in his advert that it is a pirate, but he has been up front and honest when asked directly, which is what I should have done before buying in haste. I suppose you could argue that the price he is asking is relevent to the fact that to buy the genuine article would cost at least double, and that anyone with any sense would realise that for someone to sell a genuine product at half the price of anywhere else, must be a pork pie short of a picnic, or that the item is a fake. Slightly cheaper, for a quick sale, yes, it might be plausible.

If he replies to my e-mail as honestly as he did to Indiana Jones, I think I will base any feedback purely on the efficiency of the service, and the quality of the product, with additional comments. If it's a poor quality copy, I will say so, otherwise I'll just say he was open and honest when asked about the quality of the product, and that the price reflects the quality.

24. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In one way I think it's good that he's been up front to tell you that it is a pirate. However, it is a pirate - an illegal copy - and other DVD buyers with less DVD knowledge could quite easily purchase DVDs from this guy thinking they are legit. Therefore I think you should not leave positive feedback instead should leave neutral feedback which include the facts, which are that he's selling pirate DVDs. You could also include information about the quality of the DVD and the quality of service and the level of communication. If DVD and services are bad then leave negative feedback.

Personally as much as I would like certain DVDs I couldn't knowingly purchase a pirated copy because I would always be wondering how much better the original would-be. And as much as I would want a certain film with DTS , which isn't available with DTS anywhere in the world, I think there would be an nagging disappointment no matter how good the quality is.

It is a pity they cannot warn you on the selling page that it is not an official copy.

25. rebel_scum

rebel_scum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Give the man some fair feedback!! He supplied what I would presume was an item which worked, and did exactly as described. If you didn't know it was a bootleg, then that's fair enough, but as discussed before, at THAT price, how could you think that it wasn't a boot? I straight out refuse to pay japanese disc prices, but being a Japanese film fan, I've resorted to buying some professional bootlegs. Am I happy with my purchases? Extremely, especially my two disc Azumi and Battlefield Baseball sets. I've also obtained films such as Alive, and Aragami, both of which were custom jobs, since the original discs don't have English subtitles. I will continue to do so, until the price of these discs come down, or Hong Kong distributors get hold of films quicker. I'm quite pleased with the HK Zatoichi disc. Sorry, rant over.

26. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I had a reply from him, very similar to that posted above. I just have to wait for the arrival of the disc now, after viewing of which, I will consider my feedback. I can't say he's tried to hide anything, but I have seen other people put in their adverts, something like, "PLEASE CONTACT THE SELLER FOR FURTHER INFORMATION BEFORE BIDDING ON THIS ITEM", which I think he should have done in this case.

27. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    If anyone is still after the Kill Bill 1 Box (non bootleg), dvdslimited have them for £50.

28. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Well, I have received the DVD, and I have to admit, it looks good. There's no insert, but other than that, it looks like a standard cover. I haven't watched it all the way through, but have tried it out, and it has all the menus (in Japanese, of course), DTS soundtrack, and a picture quality that I can honestly say looks no different to me than the genuine R2. This is on a standard Panny 32" widescreen TV. Obviously I can't say what it would look like to a critical eye, on a screen the size of the side of a bus, but as an average, everyday viewer, I can't tell any difference. Of course, I went straight to the HOBL fight scene, to check it was indeed all in colour, and it's all there, and much more enjoyable than the B&W versions.

As I said previously, I don't usually buy bootlegs, and certainly won't be making a habit of it, but in this case, it's cost me half the price of the real thing, but looks and sounds no different, so I have to, rather guiltily, admit I'm well chuffed! [​IMG]

29. jay75

jay75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pleased for you and in a way kind of jealous as I would love to see kill Bill in full colour all the way through but with automatic subtitling like the US/UK versions....oh and LEGIT... Hopefully they will re release it here uncut eventually!

30. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm positive they will, as it's another way of getting more money out of us. If they do issue an unrated R1, I will still buy it, so as to get over the subtitles thing with the Jap version, which is a pain in the arse!