1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kill Bill - is it as good as they say ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by HMHB, Aug 4, 2004.

1. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    First let my start off by saying this isn't intended as a troll or as a wind up !
    I normally enjoy Tarantino films but after watching 40 minutes or so of Kill Bill last night I'm afraid I turned it off (as it got to that long cartoony bit). I found that it was annoying me and not holding my attention, unlike every other of his films I've watched :(
    I suppose the question is, is it a good film really or is it over hyped ? Also, if I found the first half annoying is it worth me watching the rest ?

2. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Over hyped? Maybe but I didn’t bother going to the cinema and only rented it when it came out on DVD but man it was a good film. I loved every minute of it from beginning to end, very stylish and such a great homage to martial arts movies that I used to watch as a kid. I liked so much that the following day I went to the cinema to watch part II.

My wife never likes to watch a film a second time unless there has been a long gap between viewings but even she wanted to watch the first one again just a week after having seen it.

What’s not to like? What exactly annoyed you about this film? Granted it is very different from his previous work but you don’t want him to churn out the same stuff again and again.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    I think it was the very disjointed and bitty nature of it that put me off. I also couldn't see the point of that long cartoony bit.
    Maybe I just need to watch it again after a few beers.

4. zantarous

zantarous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    The only thing I say about the cartoony bit is that it was very violent and over the top QT must have a love for Manga and to be honest it was quite a cool little sequences and I have little love for Japanese animation.

Disjointed? I thought the film flowed very well and I really liked the back and forth story telling. The characters were interesting and the fight scenes, while not as good as some Asian films, were still well done. The only down side is I don’t have it on DVD yet as it looks as the distributor is going to milk this for everything that it is worth. I am holding out for the full colour version.

But it does seem to be one of those films you either love or you hate as I have heard loads of people that really didn’t enjoy it.

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I liked the original (shogun assasin) better.
    Remakes are usually a bit naff

6. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have to admit, I have found previous QT films a bit hard going, and not easy to follow, but I did thoroughly enjoy KB1, and watched it twice in the space of a fortnight, once rented, and then again, when I got the full colour Jap version. I also love the music. I haven't ordered KB2, as I'm waiting to see what will emerge in the way of special editions.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    I also really liked Kill Bill 1 and watched it pretty much like simon6776 i.e rented it then got the jap version and watched that.

I think that it is just so stylishly done and is a great homage to martial arts films, i also like the way the story does go back and forth as for me that just adds a bit more to it as well.

8. dvdmike

dvdmike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    yes it is

9. darthbane2k

darthbane2k
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Have you actually SEEN Shogun assassin? because although Kill Bill is certainly inspired by elements of it, it is NO REMAKE.

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    The two parts have both to be watched, although not necessarily in the same sitting. Volume 1 primarily introduces the main character (The Bride, also known as ***** ) as someone on a mission, and someone who is seemingly indestructable. And the mother of all cliffhanger endings (if you've been following it). The blood and gore is just comic-book stuff.

Volume 2 is entirely different; much less violence, much more dialogue and character building. It neatly explains away all the events that occur in Vol 1 (the massacre and The Bride's purpose and indestructability). Together the two make a nicely rounded and complete story.

11. Sab

Sab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I loved Kill Bill 1 in the cinema and it is also good to watch on DVD. The sound and the visuals is amazing.

I was a bit disappointed with Kill Bill 2 in the cinema as there was a lot less action and it was slower. I have both Kill Bill 1 and 2 soundtracks.

12. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JohnG, I know exactly what you're saying.

I'm a big Tarantino fan, but when I saw Vol. 1 in the theatre, I was ready to walk out by the time the cartoon bit started. (although I actually like that part) But, the second half of Vol. 1 was definitely worth the wait. Luckily, I'm too cheap to ever walk out of a film. Had I watched it on DVD, however, I probably wouldn't have made it to the big fight, which would have been a real shame, as it stands as a terrific homage to classic kung-fu/samurai flicks.

Vol. 2, however, I consider to be unwatchable. People say how the film should have really been one film, but there's no way I'd be able to sit through both parts together. I've never seen a film that could have benefitted more from an aggressive editor than Kill Bill. Had I been in charge of the cut, I would have edited both parts down into a 45 minute film. (yep, you're reading that right, 45 minutes!) The rest, in my humble opinion, is Tarantino at his absolute worst.

My suggestion to you would be to watch the rest of Vol. 1, but give Vol. 2 a miss. Vol. 1 has some stuff of the best scenes I've seen in years. After watching it, you'll obviously have predictions about how the story will end, and I guarantee that your predictions will be better than the actual finish of Vol. 2.

BTW, if the dreadful dialogue of Vol. 1 bothered you (like it did me), then Vol. 2 will make you want to stab yourself in the face. :)

13. William123

William123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Afraid I didn't like it one bit and found it tame compared to Glasgow on a Saturday night.

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    swap the 2 lead characters in Shogun Assasin, update it to modern day
    and you have the plot of Kill Bill 1 + Kill Bill 2
    many scenes are the same, ending is pretty much the same.

15. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Well I've watched the rest of it tonight with a couple of cans of Special Brew. It still didn't do it for me I'm afraid, and the dreadful dialogue did bother me a lot so I probably won't bother with the 2nd one. The fight scene didn't do it either, it just reminded me of a Monty Python sketch.
    Luckily this was a rental copy. I may try it again some time in the future, but it will take a while for me to get my bad thoughts about this film out of my mind. Maybe it's just not my kind of film - I turned Crouching Tiger off after 20 minutes.

16. Ewan

Ewan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also hated kill bill vol 1 as well.

17. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,984
    And that is the whole point. It's meant to be funny in some sense; comic-book violence.

18. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Aha - I didn't realise it was supposed to be funny :blush:

19. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Exactly that, it is supposed to be ott comic book violence :thumbsup:

20. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dissapointed vs earlier Tarrantino films. Flimsy plot, playing on lots of fight scenes. Will say though, that the presentation & flow of the scenes was at QT's normal high level.

21. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Mind you it can hardly be thought of as earth shattering and ground breaking homour when you consider that this was all done by Monty Python 30 years ago ;)

22. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i didn't like it one bit...i guess i was expecting a bruce lee flick and all i got was matrix revolutions....still i'll hire the sequel when it comes out on dvd ;)

CaM

23. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just shows you can't please everyone all the time. I thought it was great (Vol1) - haven't seen Vol2 yet.

I can't beleive that people didn't get that some of it was supposed to be funny. And JohnG, ??? Just because Monty Python did their brand of comedy thirty years ago, doesn't mean that people shouldn't be influenced by it. That's like saying we shouldn't watch any new slapstick routines because Laurel and Hardy did it far better decades ago.

Shogun Assassin - it's like comparing Badlands to Thelma & Louise in my opinion.

SA & KB - they are both revenge movies. There's room for more than one in the world.

24. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a refreshing post....when this drivel first came out I had the audacity to say I didn't like St T's "masterpeice" and got a right good kicking here on the forum. I found it pointlessly disjointed (there is no tension when you send the heroine to fight someone you already KNOW she's killed...), not amusing or clever (not sure Americans get EITHER concept), and the fight scenes laughable, but not in a good way. I knew that time would dispel the myths and hype surrounding this poor B movie wannabe. Let the kicking commence....I'll take you all!

25. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    When I watched Vol 1 shortly after its DVD release I was SO disappointed. Where was all the riveting dialogue, the dark humour, the tension. Spent lots of time telling friends how disappointing it is.

Watched it again last week and twice since. WOW!!! Sometimes perception of a film is all about the frame of mind you are in. I now think this is one of the best films I have ever seen. Can't wait for Vol 2. Music, visuals, script, sound effects, animation, it's all so intelligent.

This is a funny film. This is a complete film, but it's not drama. It's ballet, opera, theatre, slapstick, it's complete!

There's nothing worse than a reformed Kill Bill critic! (My wife liked it and she hates Reservoiur Dogs and Pulp Fiction.)

26. OnTheFly

OnTheFly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    It was meant to be funny? :lease:

I thought Kill Bill Vol 1 was the worst film I've seen in a long time. Vol 2 is much better.

Having said that, it's all about opinions. My opinion is that Tarantino has lost the plot big time. Unfortunately for this undoubtedly talented film maker, he does not realsie it.

27. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A thoroughly enjoyable Black Comedy cum Chop Suey Movie,that me and a mate love to watch time and again after a few beers!The dialogue is wooden and cheesy and that's part of it's charm :D It's really a "love it or hate it" film and that's exactly why people will still discuss it in a few years time,the way they do with the other Tarantino flicks.This thread will probably spur me on to watch it again in the next couple of days :rotfl:

28. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,852
    Very true, but I do expect better and more orignal stuff from QT.

29. mevetts

mevetts
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree with 'Promised Land' it is definitely a Marmite film! Personally, I really loved it. I'm not a big martial arts lover, but Tarantino is fantastic! I found the whole film gripping and it is a very well directed and produced piece of work (IMHO).

I missed vol 2 at the cinema, but can't wait to buy both on DVD.

Mark.

30. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Got Kill Bill 2 the other day and watched it over the weekend, twice, it really is very different to V1. As much as i liked V1 i did prefer V2 as it just ties everything together so well.
    As much as Bill is a cold blooded killer you do kind of warm to him towards the end which is down to David Carradines acting, excellent.

John G it might be worth persevering with V1 to set you up for V2 as you might prefer that far more.