• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Kids Bike

huwg

My eldest daughter has out grown her current bike so we are looking to get her a new one (for Christmas). I know I want to avoid the cheap and heavy full suspension bikes which seem to flood the market (Shockwave) but apart from that I have no idea which manufacturers to go for. - Has anyone heard of Coyote?

20" Koobalahi
24" Crystal

Islabikes are supposed to be one of the best kids bikes but with a budget of up to £140 they are well out of our price bracket.

I know wheel and frame size depends on the style of bike - size wise, she is a tall 7 1/2 year old (inside leg 58cm)
We would not want anything with more than 7 gears and she is not into girly tassles or pink (prefers purple, blue, turquoise etc)

Any recommendations, advice or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

huwg

I got my daughter one of these Shogun - FLARE it's a great bike, light frame, sturdy (it gets chucked about a lot). I think I paid just under £100 delivered.

Thanks
That bike is also available under the 'Claude Butler' branding I see.

I've also seen a Dawes which may be an option.

huwg

:eek: I don't know where you live...do I?

lol - I drove to the south coast to pick up my current bike (I live in Staffordshire) so distance is not an issue.

I think I will buy new for my daughter. However, my wife wants a bike too - we will probably take the 2nd hand option for her as you get a heck of a lot more for your money.

John Simon

lol - I drove to the south coast to pick up my current bike (I live in Staffordshire) so distance is not an issue.

I think I will buy new for my daughter. However, my wife wants a bike too - we will probably take the 2nd hand option for her as you get a heck of a lot more for your money.

If you were interested in this I could put it on the non-av classifieds, it is as per the picture in the link with no scratches & light use - would be 60 pounds.

huwg

Getting the right size could be tricky - some say 20" is within her age group, others indicate 24" as being the better option. The larger bikes tend to have 18 gears and going from a single speed that could be too much of a jump.
:confused:

I guess the only thing to do is visit a decent dealer and try 'em out for size.

Ned Senior

I would say it is a MUST to get her properly fitted for a bike as it is so dangerous out there on the roads or kerbs so PLEASE do so.. also if you say come with me hen and then visit a shop to pick up say a pump or patches (whatever) you could sidle over to a nice looking machine and say hey this is nice wonder if you fit etc then get the staffs advice after she has said "no I prefer this one" you then leave saying yeah you would look good on that etc. without buying
only to return later or soon on your own to buy the blasted thing
I did something similar with my son who had no idea a few months later when christmas arrived that he was getting a bike so he was surprised and delighted and I was several hundred lighter of pocket!!!

Getting the right size could be tricky - some say 20" is within her age group, others indicate 24" as being the better option. The larger bikes tend to have 18 gears and going from a single speed that could be too much of a jump.
:confused:

I guess the only thing to do is visit a decent dealer and try 'em out for size.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom