kids and iPads... argh...

instigator

Prominent Member
Reaction score
ok, as my brother works at apple the kids have been gifted iPod touch 32gb newest model, iPod nano touch 5th generation (the watch type one) and an iPad 2 32 WiFi only...

now, they need a device with 3g or 4g for communicating with family whilst at mother's house on weekends and because they are kids and lose things and their mother smashes devices so the kids can't communicate with me(she is nuts) i got them a cheap Nokia 520 windows phone for 50 quid and just top up O2 payg sim... they leave the iPads at our house... as without 3g/4g or wifi access it isn't worth packing and we had issues with mother smashing devices...

after their mom smashed the first Nokia - i'm not kidding... replaced it and the girls have been using it when visiting mother for a few months and it is going fine... knock on wood...

now the problem is the Nokia is windows 8 and pretty slow - so not very many games and it occurred to me why don't i get rid of all the other iPod touches and nanos etc and iPad 2 and get them an iPad mini with 3g/4g so now they just have 1 device that does pretty much everything...

would getting the non-retina screen iPad mini be a bad idea?

or is it worth it getting the retina screen version?

they love their iPod Touches so i think an iPad mini with more drive space, say 64gb would be better for their projects and photos etc than a 32gb or 16gb retina iPad mini?

is they retina screen a must have feature? i guess the retina mini has beefier CPU etc?

i figure for kids the cheaper the better... less heartache when they iPads are lost or broken etc?

also, a mini is easier to transport around for them...

the iPad 2 is plenty fast since we got it, they make iMovies and garageband projects on it and it performs flawlessly...

i'd also be looking forward to not having to charge 15 devices... ha ha...

i went to the apple store to see for myself but all the minis looked the same... i must be blind... i dunno...

thoughts?

Last edited:
i just went ahead and got the non-retina iPad mini... got rid if an iPod touch and nano and iPad 2 today...

still have more crap to get rid of... and less iDevices to charge every day... whew!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom