Kickass lamb samosa recipe?

mjn

Distinguished Member
Once again, we're ditching the turkey this Christmas, and having a curry feast :D

What i need is a kick ass lamb samosa recipe. Tried a few now, and they tasted kinda bland.

Anybody care to share? :thumbsup:

qwerty321

Do you have any Asian supermarkets near you?

If so, look in there for the frozen ones. Humza Branded ones. All their stuff is excellent and just needs frying.

SBT

Banned
Once again, we're ditching the turkey this Christmas, and having a curry feast :D

What i need is a kick ass lamb samosa recipe. Tried a few now, and they tasted kinda bland.

Anybody care to share? :thumbsup:

No turkey at Christmas :eek:

You can have a curry any day of the year,but Christmas has to be turkey and all the trimmings.I'm looking forward to mine already :D

Simba

Distinguished Member
Do you have any Asian supermarkets near you?

If so, look in there for the frozen ones. Humza Branded ones. All their stuff is excellent and just needs frying.

nice - i just bought a bag of 50 humza lamb samosa's! :D

Suave

Distinguished Member
Hi,

Sorry but I have never found any brand of ready made Samosa's good at all & I have tried tons of them!

With Indian food, making it at home is always the best by far & wide as you can control quality & freshness of ingredients & spices with no artificial crap or preservatives & "dodgy" bits! The thing that will be missing is the art & skill of balancing all the ingredients!

My advice is to try & learn from some Indian friends who might be prepared to teach you & have a whole lot of fun & some mega tasty Samosas in the process! Nothing beats home made!

Suave!

CoolBreeze9

Hi,

Sorry but I have never found any brand of ready made Samosa's good at all & I have tried tons of them!

With Indian food, making it at home is always the best by far & wide as you can control quality & freshness of ingredients & spices with no artificial crap or preservatives & "dodgy" bits! The thing that will be missing is the art & skill of balancing all the ingredients!

My advice is to try & learn from some Indian friends who might be prepared to teach you & have a whole lot of fun & some mega tasty Samosas in the process! Nothing beats home made!

Suave!

Could not agree more!! I've tried loads of the ready made ones too and they just don't cut it compared to home made. My mums home made ones are truly the best, probably the best thing she makes. She refuses to do it now because of how much work it is. Although, all the work as I understand it is in the actual wrapping and handywork stuff. I will get the recipe for you tomorrow.

P.S. This thread is not good for my diet. :facepalm:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I generally don't buy shop ones, as they've too many peas in, and i hate peas, hence why i make my own :D

Got plenty of very good curry recipes, and they turn out very good indeed, as does my bombay potato, its just the samosas :(

Simba

Distinguished Member
Homemade samosas are just in a different league altogether... Maybe shouldn't be compared to ready made frozen ones as those all have similar tastes albeit with differing qualities.

Our homemade ones are a plain flour type pastry so they are soft not crunchy/ crispy. Over the years iv started really liking the frozen filo pastry type ones ... Had a few of the humza lamb ones today and they were mmmmmmm! Not many peas in them either which was nice. I did find them very spicy though but I'm not sure if it's because my taste buds are still playing up since I'm 4 days post nasal surgery.

qwerty321

Homemade samosas are just in a different league altogether... Maybe shouldn't be compared to ready made frozen ones as those all have similar tastes albeit with differing qualities.

Our homemade ones are a plain flour type pastry so they are soft not crunchy/ crispy. Over the years iv started really liking the frozen filo pastry type ones ... Had a few of the humza lamb ones today and they were mmmmmmm! Not many peas in them either which was nice. I did find them very spicy though but I'm not sure if it's because my taste buds are still playing up since I'm 4 days post nasal surgery.

That's what I like about the Humza ones. The pastry!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
No turkey at Christmas :eek:

You can have a curry any day of the year,but Christmas has to be turkey and all the trimmings.I'm looking forward to mine already :D

Have a Turkey curry!

Simba

Distinguished Member
dc8900 said:
Have a Turkey curry!

Just stuff some samosas up the turkey !!!

mjn

Distinguished Member
I don't see the what the big deal about turkey is?

Revaan

Me mam makes the best lamb samosas... quality meat and the right blend of spices etc
But she refuses to hand the recipe over to my wife - since mum thinks I'll come over less if the missus had all her recipes. Bless 'em.

But I'll try and get some pointers from her this wkd... and I'll post it.

SBT

Banned
I don't see the what the big deal about turkey is?

It wouldn't seem like Christmas without the traditional turkey dinner for me.Having a curry just doesn't seem right,you might aswell have a Christmas doner kebab :laugh:

qwerty321

Totally agree...I love Meat Samosa's and was shocked how good the ones from Asda were...

Tesco also have them in the Asian foods section.

There is a brand called Aisha's which some of the supermarkets sell. They are OK as well but not as good as the Humza ones.

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
It wouldn't seem like Christmas without the traditional turkey dinner for me.Having a curry just doesn't seem right,you might aswell have a Christmas doner kebab :laugh:

Got to agree, and like you I am already looking forward to it.Then I am looking forward to Turkey Sandwiches on Christmas Evening with nice crusty bread and spicy pickled onions.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Tesco also have them in the Asian foods section.

There is a brand called Aisha's which some of the supermarkets sell. They are OK as well but not as good as the Humza ones.

I bought some of the Humza Meat samosa's this week to compare....

Now they are pretty nice but have to say I still prefer the ones from Asda..(and they are half the price :) )

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung ranked No.1 TV brand for 15th year running
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published