Kia Ceed Cimate control setting temperature

_Dragon_

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Quite new to having climate control,the lowest you can set it to is 15.5c turn it down then it goes to lo which i understand in not working as climate control and it just behaves as a normal aircon button,Unless im wrong?I think 15.5c is far to warm for the summer time,Whats the point having climate control in the summer if you have to have it set to low which is the old aircon button,If it gets to cold in the car when on low then you would have to switch it off,Because turning it to 15.5c is going to be making the car warm again to warm in the summer.

Climate control works great in the winter i leave it at 18 or 19 not needing to keep adjusting the temperature or fan speed,But it seems pointless for summer time,I thought climate control should work in the summer aswell.

Is it just me no it cant be i think 15.5c is to warm for summer time?

Last edited:
Most don't go below 15C. I think you will find that this is more than cold enough, even in a hot summer!

The outside air will be at 20-25C if we are lucky and 5-10C colder feels a heck of a lot colder!

I leave my Volvo set to 21C all year around. It feels perfect to me!

You set the knob for the temperature you want in the car, if you had your house central heating set at 15, you'd be wearing jumpers to keep warm.

I just leave mine at 20 all year round.

If it's not working like that in the summer, it may need re-gassing

I have just regassed the system so ill have to see what its like when we get the warm weather back. Thanks

It can be an odd thing to get your head around at first, but the trick is to just trust it. Don't worry what the temp says so much - that's the end temperature, not the temperature of the air coming out - just set it to a comfortable temperature and leave it there all year round.

Set it to 20c for instance and if it's hotter, it'll blast out cold air (as cold as it can go) to get the temperature down, before backing off and maintaining that temperature. The worst thing you can do is try and 'help' it by changing temperatures.

What I find strange is when people with climate control switch the aircon button off, thinking they only need it on when it's hot and if they leave it on in winter they will only get cold air.
Bloody leave it alone!:nono:
Set your temperature, leave it on 'auto' all year round.
It'll keep you cool in the summer, it'll keep your car condensation free in the winter.
The aircon compressors work on a clutch, only engaging when needed.
It's not like the compressor is whirring away all the time, just because the button is on.

What I find strange is when people with climate control leave it on all year round. It's a waste of fuel.

There really is no need to run a dehumidifier during winter (most will shut off below 4c anyway). The main reason why people get trapped into needing A/C on all year around is because the condensor gets wet removing moisture and that then deposits the moisture on the windscreen when starting up (steamy windows). Leave the A/C off outside of summer and the condenser will be dry as a bone. It might take 10 minutes to dry out but after that, no more steamy windows and no more wasting fuel on the AC you don't really need.

My current car is the first with Climate Control, I just leave it at default (22deg?), I leave the system on Auto - it works well, but can take time. In winter it was blowing warm air mostly, not its blowing cold air.

My Mrs can't get her hear around it, she jumps in ramps it up to factor 11, thinking that will warm the car up quicker... She does the same with the central heating at home.

What I find strange is when people with climate control leave it on all year round. It's a waste of fuel.

There really is no need to run a dehumidifier during winter (most will shut off below 4c anyway). The main reason why people get trapped into needing A/C on all year around is because the condensor gets wet removing moisture and that then deposits the moisture on the windscreen when starting up (steamy windows). Leave the A/C off outside of summer and the condenser will be dry as a bone. It might take 10 minutes to dry out but after that, no more steamy windows and no more wasting fuel on the AC you don't really need.

My understanding is these days A/C is much more efficent, and as a rule should be left on to keep it all clean and working well. I leave it to work its magic.

Also... on my previous car (Cmax) without climate contriol, if it was cold and you put the blowers on it automatically turned on A/C to remove the moisture.

efficiency has nothing to do with it. the principle is the same today as it's always been. you make a surface really cold, water condenses on it. if you make that surface less cold (switch off the compressor), that water will evaporate off it. it that surface isn't moist in the first place, you have no excess moisture in the ventilation system.

in fact keeping it on all the time will promote excess moisture which in turn promotes a nice place for bacteria to live. eventually your ac gets smelly and you have to pay to have it cleaned. dry it out before you put your car to sleep (or the cooler months) and it will stay clean and smell free.

I know this. I've tested it for years and it works. I also don't believe in the rubbish about running it constantly for lubrication purposes. I took a Passat from 120k to 220k and the AC was still working fine (not even regassed).

Well my last 2 cars with A/C - which I didn't use in winter, both went smelly.

Happy with it on all year round with Climate Control now.

My understanding is these days A/C is much more efficent, and as a rule should be left on to keep it all clean and working well. I leave it to work its magic.

Also... on my previous car (Cmax) without climate contriol, if it was cold and you put the blowers on it automatically turned on A/C to remove the moisture.

Precisely.
Bit of a myth these days that it uses more fuel, or certainly any noticeable amount.
Differences in your daily driving method will account for more fuel usage.
Not using the compressor can be a bad thing, so just leave it on and let the clutch engage/disengage as required.

Why is not using the compressor a bad thing?

Well my last 2 cars with A/C - which I didn't use in winter, both went smelly.

That'll be because they were sat baking in the sun with moist condensors, bacteria breeding away. I usually allow my ventilation system to dump that moisture by switching off the compressor and drying it out for the last 10 minutes of a journey, if the external ambient temperature allows. Since we live in a country where out hot days can be counted on two hands, that is a pretty easy thing to do.

Since we live in a country where out hot days can be counted on two hands, that is a pretty easy thing to do.

I live in the North East of Scotland, I'm already the stage where I'm getting into a hot car and needing the aircon to blast the car down to my required temp.

Not sure how accurate this is today, but it seems quite significant when scaled up:

"Each vehicle, on average, uses about 235 liters (62 gallons) of gasoline annually for operating the air-conditioning system. Fischer has estimated that the annual fuel required to carry the additional weight of the air-conditioning system is about 12.7 liters (3.4 gallons) per vehicle. Given the above assumptions, the estimated total fuel used for air-conditioning, if 80% of the vehicles have working air-conditioning systems, is about 40 billion liters (10.6 billion gallons) of gasoline annually."

Aren't we supposed to be saving the planet? :)

Ref: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy00osti/28960.pdf

Each vehicle, on average, uses about 235 liters (62 gallons) of gasoline annually for operating the air-conditioning system.

Er, what.....:laugh:
I reckon I'd struggle to measure any discernable difference in mpg in my diesel car, aircon on or off.
Any difference would be more likely to be down to other variables.

I guess it was Texas or something :D

If you dont run the aircon the seals dry out and then the seals crack, gas escapes and the performance is degraded.

Use it or lose it people.

What I find strange is people who speak like they are informed, while confusing Climate Control and Air Conditioning.

Climate Control doesn't waste fuel.
Air Conditioning is so efficient in modern cars it will make far, far less of a difference than your tyre pressures, driving style or the temperature outdoors.

I'm not confusing anything. Climate control uses a thermostat/temp sensor to mix cold and warm air. An air conditioner also has a thermostat, it just doesn't tend to mix in warm air. "Climate Control" optionally uses a compressor the same as an "air conditioner" does. A compressor requires energy to run. What am I missing? :)

I'm not confusing anything. Climate control uses a thermostat/temp sensor to mix cold and warm air. An air conditioner also has a thermostat, it just doesn't tend to mix in warm air. "Climate Control" optionally uses a compressor the same as an "air conditioner" does. A compressor requires energy to run. What am I missing? :)

In this post, nothing. But the one I quoted said you found it strange that people leave 'climate control' on all year round as it wastes fuel. If you turn off climate control, you turn the fans off so there will be no air movement. Climate control can use air conditioning, if turned on, for greater cooling, but the two are not the same and in every example I know, climate control does not have a separate compressor to air conditioning.

Therefore turning off climate control has no more bearing on fuel economy than having the fans turned on in a car without climate control.

Bah details schmetails ;)

I've done identical long journeys in various cars over the years and compared with climate on or off (or rather the air con part turned off/eco). I didn't seem to gain any extra mpg by doing this, so thesedays I just leave mine on all the time. So long as I get more than 43 mpg I'm in pocket on my business mileage anyway.

I do occasionally turn the air con on in my Z3 (as stupid as it is on a convertible) just to stop the seals drying out. I've used it in winter to clear any misted up windows too, so it does have some use, though I would prefer heated seats rather than air con.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom