KHT 6000 with 3805 and REL Q150E

frustin

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have had a listen to the KHT6000 today and i am mightly impressed with the sound. I am going back for another listen, with the 3805 next week (with the wife). I am also taking along my REL Q150E sub to try out with it.

Anyone got the new KEF's? what are you using with them?

The shop keeper (7Oaks) is convincing me that i want the 3805 rather than the 2805 as the extra 20W per channel is going to give me more "control" over the sound, is this right? its £250 difference between the two. forget about the denon link i dont have a denon dvd (might do next year).

I am not familiar with the Kef speakers but for £250 I want a lot more than an extra 20w. It could be the drivers are different or upgraded but higher power handling would not necessarily give an improvement in sound quality.

My best advice is to arrange a home demo. You need to listen to the speakers in your room with your equipment unless the dealers room is identical in size, construction and furnishings.

Hey Frustin,

I haven't heard the Kefs, but with regards to the amp (I think Decca was getting confusing this for the speakers) - I recommend you listen to the Harman Kardon AVR630/635 (Sevenoaks sell HK stuff).

Finally A/B'ed the HK against the 3805 the other day and much preferred the HK in every way and for music and DVDs, so maybe you will too. Sevenoaks usually sell HK gear, so ask for a listen...

frustin said:
The shop keeper (7Oaks) is convincing me that i want the 3805 rather than the 2805 as the extra 20W per channel is going to give me more "control" over the sound, is this right? its £250 difference between the two. forget about the denon link i dont have a denon dvd (might do next year).

Sounds to me the salesman is trying to earn more commision. The Kefs are rated up to 100W power handling and while higher output amplifiers definately have their merits IMO the 2805 will work nicely. I wouldnt be able to justify spending that amount of extra cash. I would go for the 2805 or the HK as mentioned above and spend the extra on good quality speaker cable, you might notice a better improvement there than on the extra 20 W.

Skinny

I wouldn't bother taking your REL in as it may sound very different in their store to your home. If possible try and get the store to demo the speakers with both amplifiers asking him to point out the differences in control so that you can decide whether the sonic differences are worthwhile

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom