1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keystone question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pete Delaney, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should be getting my first PJ next month and have decided upon the ae500.
    However, it will not be ceiling mounted and I have calculated (using einsteins theory of sitting height, PJ height and distance from screen etc) that an approx keystone of 5 degrees verticle would be necessary.
    would anyone with experience in this department let me know if picture degradation would be dramatic? If so Argos sell plenty of slender telephone tables at various heights so it would not be the end of the world!! It would simply mean I couldn't sit in my usual (ideal) location as the PJ would partially obstruct the veiw of the picture.
    Thanks for any responses,
    Pete.;)

2. calypso

calypso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You could also consider tilting the screen instead of the projector. Some screens (eg Da-Lite have this possibility).

Keystone correction would then be avoided.

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not consider the Z2? Seems to be the logical choice if off- centre positioning is a must.

4. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Kramer,

I here what your saying but I was a little worried about all the dust threads, plus it's more expensive. The ae500 plus 83" screen can be bought for around £1400, which is the absolute maximum (got to draw the line somewhere) that I am willing to pay.
    But thanks for the suggestion.:smoke:

5. akarit1

akarit1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I have seen the panny 500 in action and it was positioned towards the right hand side of the room and firing at one hell of an angle,yet the picture was not compromised at all and appeared a perfect 16:9 configuration, so just set it up where you want and then tweak the h/v keystone correction for a sublime picture!!

Shakey.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bet it was :p

Keystone does degrade PQ. Don't even think about a HCPC/1:1 mapping if you're going to use keystone.

Also consider the issues of overspill & focus uniformity when using keystone correction.

:smoke:

7. akarit1

akarit1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeahh right Kramer !!!
    All I'm saying is what I saw and it was very good,if it was crap then I would have said it was,but the best thing to do for anyone is to check them out and test them out!!!

8. epgs1

epgs1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have heard quite a few folks decry the use of electronic keystone correction and I fully understand their objections. However, so far I have not observed any real difference to overall picture quality (if the correction is small) on my HS20. I would suggest that the quality of the source DVDs themselves varies sufficiently to mask much of the disturbance caused by well implemented KSC. The most objectionable issue IMO is the generation of grey wedges on the left and right sides of the image.

Cheers
    Graham

9. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I agree with epgs1.
    I have an ae500 and use horizontal keystone of +10 and vertical of -2.
    The only noticeable differences are:
    a) slight reduction in brightness of image (similar to difference between normal lamp and low power lamp mode ie, not very much)
    b) those nasty grey wedges around the picture

overall, if you have to, you have. The picture will still be brighter and better than an ae300 anyway. Plus, using a sanyo Z2's lense shift has a similar reduction in picture quality because you aren't using the sweet spot of the lense (see the reviews at www.projectorcentral.com)

10. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I agree with epgs1.
    I have an ae500 and use horizontal keystone of +10 and vertical of -2.
    The only noticeable differences are:
    a) slight reduction in brightness of image (similar to difference between normal lamp and low power lamp mode ie, not very much)
    b) those nasty grey wedges around the picture

overall, if you have to, you have to. The picture will still be brighter and better than an ae300 anyway. Plus, using a sanyo Z2's lense shift has a similar reduction in picture quality because you aren't using the sweet spot of the lense (see the reviews at www.projectorcentral.com). So lense shift or keystoning have the same slight image degredations.