Keystone Correction

Crispy Rice

Standard Member
Reaction score
:hiya: Hi, I'm hoping to buy a nice new projector for my new house, i currently have a little Sony VPLCS4 which i a fairly happy with. However in my new room the only place for the project or is to the right of the sofa.

Can anyone tell me if features like SideShot really reduce picture quality? I will need to use both Horz and Vert Keystone correction.

I am currently trying to make a decision between the Pansonic PT-AE300 and the Sony VPL-HS3 so any advice would be very helpful ...

Thanks

Chris

And now I have read about a Sanyo Z2 with lens shift, how does this compare to the others ?

the sanyo's lens shift technology is a purely optical technology so shouldn't really affect image quality. side shot on the sony pjs is digital and would definitely reduce the amount of pixels used and therefore quality. My mate's just got an HS20 and when we were messing about with it on the first day we tried out the sideshot: on dark scenes you can see what is happening, the pj is still throwing the same shape onto the wall, its just that the part with the picture in it is "corrected" so that its square, this means that for a heavily sideshot-ed picture a lot less of the LCD panel is actually used for the picture and a lot more is wasted.

HTH
Owain

I tried usng '3d reform' on my NEC projector (I assume this similar to sideshot) and I definitely noticed a drop in performance. This is assumably because the internal scaler is having to do the work and keystoning it is probably quite a tough work load. Compared to the sanyo lens shift..... well no comparison. As sais, this is optical and not needing any scaling alterations and you can thus play about with a sensible amount of shift (too much starts to offend optically) without inducing noticeable degradation

ad

Digital keystone correction is best avoided. Inevitably it will degrade the image. For example, the straight edge along the top of a letterboxed movie will acquire stair-steps. The same will be true of any of the actual picture content. If you MUST use a diagonal (in either or both planes) presentation/alignment, then an optical solution (such as the Sanyo lens shift) will produce FAR better results.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom