Keyboards

Bert Coules

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Are keyboards classified as peripherals? Apologies if not.

I was more than mildly miffed today to discover that the ribbon cables in my admittedly old Cherry keyboard aren't fitted with proper connectors but simply have the bare wires pushed into a fixed fitting on a small sub-board.

I had to remove the main board for some intensive cleaning and the screws holding the sub-board to the case are completely inaccessible unless you remove the cables - and once they're removed there is of course no need to unscrew the sub-board, since the main assembly then just lifts away. And while the cables are dead easy to unplug, getting them re-inserted is another matter entirely.

I like to think I'm fairly dextrous, and I was working under a good bench lamp and with a magnifier, but it took me a ridiculous time to get the things back again and I was very concerned about the possibility of damaging one or more of the wire ends. I'm surprised that such a quality product doesn't have proper connectors.

Sorry, just wanted to tell someone...

Last edited:
Usually there these bare wire connectors are released in a particular way such that allowing the wires to be reinserted is 'easy if you know how'. It depends on what mechanism for securing the wires they use.

I speak from experience here, having taken more things apart (much to my frustration) in life in general, than I have ever managed to put back together. At any rate, you're not alone in your frustrations.

Youtube is a great source of info, and 9 out of ten times someone has done it and knows the intricacies of dis/reconnecting these couplings so look around before disassembly. Something else to bare in mind is that much of the time these things aren't really meant to be repaired once their estimated life span has expired, so connectors which can be disconnected and reattached (repeatedly) aren't really a cost effective manufacturing option.

Enjoy the Keyboard... again. :)

I know what you mean, I have a logitech k810 and an mx master, had them about 4 years now and couldn't imagine using anything else.

Here's a horror story though look at these pictures of a keyboard I bought on ebay. The advert said "in excellent condition" took it completely to bits washed it in the sink etc, brand new after, but it was FILTHY! I'm sure there was a whole dog in there, that much fur came out.
IMG_20200418_103843673.jpg
IMG_20200418_111736715.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom