• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Keyboards...

Millertime9

hi all,

i kinda dived in and bought a keyboard, a yamaha ypt210!

im a total beginner and teaching myself, but now i know a bit of what its about i have a few questions!

1) im definitely wanting to hook it up to my pc to record what im playing, so am i better getting a more expensive one that is usb to usb rather than midi to usb?

2) touch sensitive would appear to be the way to go which again points me towards the more expensive one.

Yamaha PSRE413-K - Portable Keyboard: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

this one is more expensive and looks like it has touch sensitive and USB connectivity, so is this really better for me?

ive only been playing a few nights but ive already realised there arent THAT many voices on the ypt210.

been learning the braveheart tune for example and the "bagpipe" voice on keyboard is pretty poor...

i dont want to go much over £200 though...

any help much appreciated, thanks

24 P

I have dabbled in this before, only to have sold my RM 500..
Was too much of a head ache for me..
I ended up getting an Edirol Midi card, this was essential as it was low latency..
Also once you have your KB hooked up to the PC, you should be able to use other programs with their source material, ie voices, drums etc, as apposed to your current limited voices you have on your KB..

:thumbsup:

PJTX100

Distinguished Member
Hi just to point out there is Musicians' Corner - AVForums.com which can give lots of advice.

In terms of what you are asking:

1. There are dozens of different ways to record what you are playing. Do you want to record it as audio, or midi? There are pro's and cons of both. Generally, to record either to a PC, you'll need some Digital Audio Workstation software (DAW).

2. I presume you are asking about aftertouch rather than touch sensitive? Aftertouch is desirable but not a show stopper if you are just setting out.

Also you have the option to use virtual PC based instruments now which would mean you only need a controller keyboard.

Also be careful not to buy one with small keys unless that's what you want. A full size, preferably weighted, keyboard will help you with your practice.

Be warned I started this way with a small keyboard and the corner of my study now looks like an arms race of modules, buttons and wires. It's a great hobby. :)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom