1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyboard with built in trackball

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by OneEyedStuart, Feb 17, 2005.

1. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Peeps,

I'm looking to find a keyboard with a built in trackball which can be used as the mouse. Done the standard searches but not come up with anything :confused: . Anyone got any ideas on this.

Preferably wireless ( RF not IR ) but wired would do.

Thanks
    Keith Hurst

2. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I was looking for something similar myself recently.

There were two options i preferred most:

a) keyboard with built in touchpad ala notebooks
    b) keyboard with built in trackpoint ala ibm notebooks

I went with option b in the end as i could never really get on with the touchpads on notebooks so i always buy IBM notebooks.

You can find option a on a few websites, or both options on the IBM website.
    I went for option B which also had two usb ports built that acts as a hub

NB
    Neither are wireless...but as it was for a computer under the tv and i always have xbox control wire coming from the unit i didn't worry to much. THe keyboard was usb so just plug into the front of the PC, much like u do with game controllers

http://www-134.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HelpDisplay?subject=keyboards&storeId=826&catalogId=-826&langId=826

3. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
  4. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the manhattan keyboard quoted in the link is an ir device. It is the same (almost) as the one used by Hi-Grade in their DMS range of htpc's. Range is pretty good (over 10ft easily) but it has a relatively narrow angle for line of sight. About 100degrees.

5. sniffer66

sniffer66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,367
    I have the Manhattan and TBH I'm not that happy with the IR LOS AND the trackball movement ! Typing is OK but mouse is very jerky !!

(I'm also gutted that I payed £50 from Radioshack for it !!! :( )

6. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, on the proper manhattan the trackball doesnt spin freely, which makes it a bit of a pain to use. The DMS version spins when you flick it, and somehow, it "just works" nicely..

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    thanks for all your posts guys, will check them out.

KH

8. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. fearbat

fearbat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've also been on the lookout for a good quality wireless(RF/Bluetooth) keyboard but being left handed I really need the trackball/joystick to be on the Left. I know it's a real shot in the dark, as the many searches I have made have lead to nothing, but does anyone here know of such a device? If anyone here's using or knows of one a link would be greatly apreciated.

10. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    Bran,

thanks for your input on this. The 140 quid job looks nice but no way I could justify paying that amount for a keyboard. In the end I did a search on FleBay and bought...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15389&item=5164967142&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Again a little more than I was hoping to pay and would have looked at the one of the keyboards you gave a link to. Alas found your post a little too late however, ah well.

Regards
    Keith Hurst

11. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Branxx, thanks for the link just ordered myself the "USB RF Wireless Keyboard + Joystick Mouse"

Cheers

12. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The common problem I found on keyboards with trackball is that the ball attracts the dirt (and grease from fingers) and starts playing up after a short period of time.

The joystick keyboard have a nice feature that the joystick can also be used to click (and double-click), allowing for number of operations to be performed with only one hand.

The ideal keyboard would be long range wireless and have illuminated keys so that you can see them in the dark cinema room.

13. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just bought a logitech DiNovo wireless not the bluetooth one and it's superb, works so far upto 4m away, have not tested any further cost £79.99 with mouse and number pad seperate exactly same as the bluetooth one.

14. schillaci0

schillaci0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  15. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've just taken delivery of the keyboard/joystick combo that Branxx recommended and I must say for the money, about £21 delivered, it's unbeatable. I've got a Gyration suite on another PC and I still think that's the best solution for wireless control, but for a quarter of the cost this is fantastic.

Thanks for the recomendation

Simon

16. omnione

omnione
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Logitech diNovo Media Desktop For £99.99 from PC World http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/GB/EN,CRID=2158,CONTENTID=9874 and up to now am delighted with it. :) It is bluetooth, comes with a bluetooth hub that you can use to connect other bluetooth devices. The second control pad works as a remote control and even displays the currently playing media info. I have tried keyboards with cursor control and both the track ball and the air pad type do not work very well usually because of cheap construction :confused: I would stick to an optical mouse and keyboard combo if I were you. The optical "mice" :D work well enough on the settee cushion or arm rest and are more natural to use. Good luck in your search.

17. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +843
    OK Guys,

the keyboard I ordered from FleaBay arrived a couple of days ago. Only installed it today. There are two versions, a PS2 version and a USB version. USB works with 2000 and XP, PS2 for 98/95.

Although the documentation states thats standard Windows drivers can be used, this is not the case. You have to download and install the manufacturer's drivers.

Once done however all seems to be working well. The trackball handles mouse movement well, keyboard very much like a laptop one.

The driver can be configured to reassign some of the system keys on the keyboard, however not all can be reassigned in this way and this is a little fustrating. Hopefully newer versions of the driver will support this.

Conclusions.... Nice responsive keyboard, good mouse functionality, very handy system keys for opening mail, net, searches etc... Driver needs some work. Pricey at 50 quid, worth it ? Probably not, but would certainly recommend trying one out if you see it going for say 30 beer tokens.

Regards
    Keith Hurst