Keyboard not responding after new graphics card installed

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by danvip, Jun 4, 2008.

1. danvip

danvip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anybody help as to why my keyboard won't type after I changed my graphics card?

On start up with the new card in place everything works fine, though slower and with a 'zoomed in' feel, as I'd expect as I haven't had chance to install the new drivers yet, but when I get to the log in screen my keyboard won't allow me to type in my password.

I tried putting the old graphics card back in, but there's still no response to any typing apart from the key that puts the computer on standby.

It's a wireless usb keyboard and I've tried it on a friends computer and it still works fine on his.

Any ideas to get it working again?

2. Gow87

Gow87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    can you get into the bios? it may just be that its not working in windows?

if it does work in bios, you could try resetting the options, make sure the ps2 ports are enabled.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,410
    Hmm, it sounded like just a coincidentally loose connection but if you've removed it, taken it to a friends and then brought it back and plugged it back in that seems unlikely.

Do you have other USB devices and will they work in the slot the keyboard is normally plugged into?

Did you uninstall the old card's drivers before you installed the new one?

4. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Do you have a spare PS/2 keyboard you can use. Most USB keyboards should just use standard HID drivers, so after a little delay they should be detected, even if plugged into a different USB port. But if you have a PS/2 keyboard it should always work and you can then get to Device Manager to see what's going on.

5. danvip

danvip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys, but still no luck. To answer a few of your questions:

I've tried with another usb keyboard that isn't wireless but still no luck.

I can get into the bios and both keyboards work fine there and it recognises that two keyboards are plugged in. When I exit neither works on the password screen. On the boards themselves, pressing num lock, caps lock etc will not affect the lights which makes it look like the keyboard is frozen.

I can access Safe Mode, as administrator, but still have no response to the keyboard.

I have 6 usb slots in total and my mouse works in all of them, the keyboards in none.

At first I didn't uninstall the old cards drivers, I now have through Safe Mode, but that hasn't helped.

I have tried all these options with both the new and old card installed.

I don't have any ps/2 slots to try out an old keyboard.

If there's any more help people can offer it would be much appreciated, otherwise I'll have to take it to the genii at PC World (who will probably fix it really quickly and make me look like a dick).

6. cdldt

cdldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What happens if you plug the keyboard in after Windows has booted?

7. danvip

danvip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It detects new hardware, says it is installing new hardware, says new hardware is ready to use.

And after all that it still doesn't work.

8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,410
    The lights turn on when they get acknowledgment back from the PC that the buttons pressed have been noticed.

Can you get into windows through safe mode? If so then try uninstalling and then reinstalling the keyboard driver via device manager.

The problem seems to be just that windows isn't recognising keyboards, from what you've described the hardware is all OK as the keyboards work in the bios.

You could try running the windows repair on the install disk or the system file checker (start>run>sfc) but they'll check all the files and will probably involve you redownloading a lot of windows updates. Hopefully someone else knows how to just reinstall the windows hid sections.