Keyboard/mouse gaming on PS3

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by HummuH, May 3, 2007.

1. HummuH

HummuH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I for one cannot acurately control the aim/view very well with the PS3 controller.

Is there any way to set it up to use a keyboard/mouse combo like you would on a PC? Thinking for games like Oblivion or R:FOM.

If so, what hardware is required?

Thanks.

2. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,879
    There are just 3 things you need, practise, practise and practise.

I sucked at FPS gaming on the PS2 but after afew months it became second nature and now I can play them no problem.

Trust me it does get easier.

3. brookie84

brookie84

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Seriously mate. I used to be an hardcore PC gamer last year> i got Xbox 360 and I mourned about it all the time. I decided to give it a go and got used to it in a couple of days. It is worth, just give it a little time and patience!

4. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Or just wait a little while until the games which support mouse and keyboard controls are released,like Unreal Tournament:D

5. philbot

philbot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I'm in the same boat - I try to aim and the curser flies straight past them. By the time I'm got it red they've emptied a magazine into me.

It's as thought their aiming is magnetic to my head or something.

I saw some videos of a player in RFOM flying up on the wind blower thing and picking people off using the fareye!

What the?

How can he even aim the fareye while shooting up in the air???

:confused:

6. frenchie0101

frenchie0101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    i had the same prob on controller, i played call of duty on pc for ages and then i tried it on the xbox when it first come out and i thought it was immposible but i stuck to it and got there in the end, i have to invert the axis though, and turn the sensitivity down a bit

7. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    The thing is, by its very nature, sticks arent as responsive as a mouse. You can view everywhere in a second or two with a mouse, with sticks you have do it in what feels like slow motion! It does get better with practice, but it will never be quite as responsive, no matter what the die hard PS2 gamers say. One possible answer is this rather ugly contraption -

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/splitfish-fragfx-mouse-controller-for-ps3-245810.php

8. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,879
    Wouldnt exactly be fair then if everyone else is equally balanced using the gamepad and you use a mouse and get pin point shots, surely its better for everyone to use the same control method.

9. russd1978

russd1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    I think youre right - once UT2007 kicks off and some are using mice and some are using gamepads, youll really see the difference, wont be at all fair.

10. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    I'm not a big gamer these days and bought a JPN PS3 a few months ago primarily for BluRay playback.

The last PC game I was heavily into was UT2004. Loved that game, so many late nights/early mornings on line.

Anyway I bought R:FOM when I got the PS3 and sold it within a couple of weeks as the controls drove me crazy. So, so frustrating....

If the PS3 version of UT2007 supports keyboard and mouse then I'll definitely give that a go.

11. HummuH

HummuH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Interesting views.

I don't think it will be an unfair balance if there's a mix of control options. Some people are clearly better with the controller, some will be better with other methods. If anything, it may balance it out more.

My point is that I'm so useless with the controller, its actually putting me off some games and spoiling the enjoyment. At £50 a pop, it gets a bit frustrating coz the games are good enough to merit spending time on.

Given the progress Sony has made with the PS3, I kind of hoped that it would be able to draw some depth into the games which the PC has been doing for years rather than further crytalise the console / PC difference.

There seems to be a suggestion that this may change with future releases and I do hope so and it would be nice to have some invloving strategy games rather than the polished shoot-em-ups or racing games!