1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Keyboard & Mouse Adapter for Xbox FPS

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by harrisuk, Oct 3, 2004.

1. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  2. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont suppose you know if theres a dual usb adapeter around is there?
    to use a usb mouse and keyboard, i can only find the one on lik sang, and i dont know whether itd work the same if each usb device was connected up to joypad port 1 and 2.

3. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    i expect you could get away with using a usb>ps2 converter, the kind that come with most usb mice.

4. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    good thinking.
    ill have a search on it.

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Good thinking, that should work. Remember its not just the ability to connect the kit. Its the inbuilt keymappings that are really important. It already has these for Halo and we know the controls for Halo2 are pretty much the same.

I am definately getting one of these. Will give a big advantage on online play :thumbsup:

6. applevenus

applevenus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm curious - how is Halo easier to play using keyboard ?
    (I've played Halo2 and I can't imagine playing it with anything but a controller)

7. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

so is it game dependant then? or can keyboards and mice work with any fps game? like say timesplitters?

8. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would have thought that using the pad would have been much slower, as is the case with most fps, turning through 180 degrees etc takes a lifetime with a controller, but with a mouse it would be much easier to control that movement with the wrist.
    this might not be the case though, if there isnt a function that allows you to change the sensitivity of the mouse on the xbox.

9. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Its much much easier to control FPS using mouse and keyboard. Firstly as this is what most people are used to having played them on the PC for years. Secondly as another poster has mentioned you can turn much more quickly with a mouse. Its also desirable to split control of view and movement / weapons.

No it will work with any game but it has some of the most popular games pre mapped so you dont have to mess around remapping keys. If you follow the link it provides loads of info plus a link to an indepth review they have done on the beta test unit. THey know there stuff on there and think highly of it.

In case people cant be bothered following the link here is some more info from their site :

Product Features

Connect PC Mouse and Keyboard to your Xbox®

Especially designed for First Person Shooters

Supports all keys on Keyboard and Mouse (including Scroll-Wheel)

Pre-Installed configurations for most FPS Best Sellers

Fully programmable including advanced features such as Deadzone and Mouse Control Inversion

Built-in Memory Card slot for compatible peripherals (incl. Headset)

Works with any game, even without built-in Mouse + Keyboard support

Compatible with all Xbox® consoles (US, JPN, PAL)

Compatible with standard PS/2 Mice, incl. USB Mice with USB to PS/2 Adapter

Compatible with Optical and Wireless Mice

SmartJoy® FRAG™ is a unique adapter that allows you to connect standard PS/2 compatible mice and keyboards to your PlayStation®2 or Xbox® console. You will be able to enjoy First Person Shooters (FPS), or any other game where targeting is important, the way they are meant to be played.

Both versions of the SmartJoy® FRAG™ are fully programmable and come with pre-installed key configurations for the best games available on PlayStation®2 and Xbox®. Advanced features such as Deadzone adjustments and mouse control inversion guarantee best gaming experience with your favorite titles.

Review :

For all of you out there waiting for Halo 2, Killzone, Doom 3, Unreal Championship 2, Half-Life 2 or any other of the highly anticipated First-Person Shooters, we have good news for you. For all of you who still couldn't dare to step back into the real life from HALO, Counter Strike, Medal of Honor, SOCOM II, Rainbox 6, Return to Castle Wolfenstein or any other addiction keeping you away from daylight, we have got good news for you as well.

SmartJoy® FRAG™ is a unique adapter that allows you to connect standard PS/2 compatible mice and keyboards to your Xbox® console. You will be able to enjoy First-Person Shooters (FPS), or any other game where targeting is important, the way they are meant to be played.

SmartJoy® FRAG™ is fully programmable and come with pre-installed key configurations for the best games available on the Xbox®. Advanced features such as Deadzone adjustments and mouse control inversion guarantee best gaming experience with your favorite titles.

SmartJoy® FRAG™ for Xbox®

Team Lik Sang has been playing with both versions of the SmartJoy® FRAG™ for a couple of days. Not only have we doubled hit rates in all tested First-Person Shooters (you'll never want to lead your squad without it again!), we have also given other games such as Rez ("music shooter") a test run using the adapters to experience them as never before. The adapters survived our Xbox Life Marathon tests without problems, including using of up to four adapters per console!

Advanced Features

The SmartJoy® FRAG™ adapters are probably some of the most sophisticated gaming accessories ever built. Gaming can be as simple as loading a built-in preset (for instance hitting F3 loads a perfect preset for The Chronicles of Riddick), or advanced users can customize any keyboard and mouse control or even adjust deadzone, inverse mouse buttons and control sticks and save their own presets in available memory slots.

SmartJoy® FRAG™ was built by pro gamers for only one reason: pure game enhancement.

The retail version of the Xbox® units of the SmartJoy® FRAG™ adapters are supposed to hit the shelves before the end of October, perfectly timed for the upcoming big titles.

The tested beta units of the SmartJoy® FRAG™ came pre-programmed with the following game presets. According to the developers, there will be a page where gamers can exchange experiences and game presets very easy. New presets can be entered (and saved!) by simply typing a key sequence from the site. And of course there are instructions coming in the box (multi lingual, English, French, German and Spanish).

Presets for Xbox®

HALO
    Medal of Honor: Frontline
    The Chronicles of Riddick
    Counter Strike
    James Bond 007: Nightfire
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six 3
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein
    Unreal Championship

Not all gamers agree on the usage of keyboard and mouse with a console. So do many with playing a First-Person Shooter with a Controller. Some might not understand the point in using a mouse and a keyboard with a console, others would make some ridiculous claim like "I'd rather have my hands cut off with a rusty axe than play an FPS with a joypad".

But in the end, using a keyboard and a mouse, completely changes the way the game is played. Use of the mouse takes away the need to concentrate on aiming and leaves you free to concentrate on pure tactics. Also, the speed of the mouse opens up new tactics which are not available with a pad.

But again, some of you might not agree with this and discussions about it are welcome in the newly opened SmartJoy FRAG Forums (expect more activity there once the product is actually shipping).

About SmartJoy® - Approved by Gamers Worldwide

The original SmartJoy® Adapter appeared in 1999 and was the very first Dual Shock® to USB adapter. It satisfied thousands of gamers worldwide, even though it wasn't perfect: for example, rumble was not supported, and the driver did not allow you to press left and right at the same time (nowadays required by for dancing games). Several years later, by the time of writing this, SmartJoy® is the most innovative developer for what they call advanced game adapters. SmartJoy® products let you play your PC stuff with PlayStation®2, Xbox® or even Super Nintendo® joypads and joysticks - and now your Xbox® and PS2® titles with Keyboard and Mouse.

The SmartJoy® project was acquired by Lik Sang two years ago, with the intention to drive the whole concept to a new level. After launching Smartjoy-X (world's first Xbox® to USB controller adapter) in early 2003, SmartJoy PLUS (The Ultimate PS2® compatible USB Adapter) right in time for PC based dance applications, and Super SmartJoy® (compatible with SNES9x, ZSNES, MAME, etc) after many emu fans asked for a decent way of playing their classics, the new SmartJoy® FRAG™ marks the next big step on the projects road map. The next useful advanced game adapters are already in development, these guys just can't stop.
    You'll find about 40 adapters of different make, for PC, Mac, Xbox®, PlayStation®2, Dreamcast®, GameCube® and also classics right in the SmartJoy Corner, a category dedicated to all console controller adapters. If you are not sure which is the right one for you, try the SmartJoy Comparison Charts, it’s very useful. And if you ever run into troubles with your adapters, have a look at the Smartjoy Forums, dedicated to all kind of adapters.

Highest Ratings

Because they are developed with usability and pure gameplay in mind, original SmartJoy Adapters are usually rated 5 stars by Lik-Sang.com customres (SmartJoy PLUS 54 great reviews by the time of writing this, Super Smartjoy 15 great reviews, SmartJoy X 18 great reviews).

10. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    This does seem like a great idea - only thing would be the analog movement on the joypad - using the keyboard would mean having a key for moving very slowly, a key for walking, a key for running etc. I know on pc games they have walk on off key. But console games do use the slow walk alot eg Rainbow 6 lean walking etc.
    Still its very tempting would mean i can finally get some clean headshots on Rainbow 6 with the mouse.

11. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    has anyone ordered one of these yet?
    If not and you are thinking about it, would a mini "powerbuy" work out cheaper, even after someone sticking them back in the post in the UK (can't be much to post 1st class)......

12. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What i also should have mentioned was that i'm not very familiar with lik-sang and if there are any importing/delivery expenses involved, hence my idea of a joint purchase.

Cheers :)

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I dont think that would work. The more you buy the more likely you are to catch customs. There is no problems with them, I buy from them all the time.

14. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I whole-heartedly agree. I've never bought a FPS for my consoles as I cannot get away with using a controller (PS2 or X-Box) at all.
    My accuracy using a contoller on a FPS is absolutely abysmal.
    Whilst using a mouse and k/b on PC its merely poor!

Will be looking to get one of these, then Halo2.

15. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Im not too bad with a joypad in halo, but it does add some aim assistance. when i got the PC version though the game just became so much more playable.

However taking this unit online will effect the game balance bigtime. So if you want to stand a chance u will need one of these(as long as it dosent force a slow scroll speed).

Still btter get used to it i suppose, what with XBOX2 and PC fighting it out in the same games online

16. sk4nky

sk4nky
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm, this might make doom3 on xbox a bit more bearable. my pc isnt powerful enough to run it and i hate the pad for fps games :)

17. Shensuke

Shensuke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About using the a standard USB-to-PS2 adaptor; I don't think you can do this because the USB port on the XBOX isn't like the ones found on a PC.

I remember when the XBox was launched, Microsoft said they'd designed a proprietory USB port for the XBox as a means of quality control.

Anyone else know about this, or am I wrong on this one?

On another note, I've generally found the use of control pad adaptors (I use the PS2 pads to play Pro Evo on the PC via an adaptor) to be rather cumbersome - there always seems to be a time lag issue between pressing a button & the action taking place onscreen, but that's just my experience.

18. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If you read the review on the site they reckon the PS2 USb adapters work. They have played with it and think its good. The writeup are normally pretty reliable.

19. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Review up at IGN - they say its superb.
    Review here
    Sounds like a must buy for me as i love my FPS on xbox + xbox live.

20. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    They are normally reliable and honest with their reviews on lik Sang tobe honest. The site is for serious gamers and they have a rep for offering good kit at a reasonable price so they wouldnt risk it.

Its definately needed, people are already getting there practice in on Halo 2 on xbconnect and will definately have a big advantage by the time its available to the majority.

This should even things up a bit :)

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    What someone needs to develop now is a proper X-Box FPS controller with a trackball & mouse buttons that could attach to your right leg (by velcro or something) and a much reduced keyboard to attach to the left leg with just the keys that are needed on it!

The only problem I can see from using a keyboard & mouse is that i'd have to use an extra table, where as I prefer to just sit back in my big leather chair when playing on a console.

Great idea though as having to use completely unsuitable controllers on consoles is the only thing that has put me off console FPS's in the past! Great product! :thumbsup:

22. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just get a board to put the keyboard and mouse on - and rest the board on your lap - thats what i used to do when playing on the DC online on Quake 3, Unreal tourny etc. I'll be doing the same when i get this for my xbox.
    Remember though you will need an xbox controller cable extender if you want to use the head set as the cable on the Frag is very very short - use an extender and you can have the Frag near you and plug in the headset.

23. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Don’t laugh but when I built my games room I thought of this problem.

How do you play an FPS sat on a bean bag / chair / couch with keyboard and mouse? Admittedly the problem originally came to mind with Far cry, HL2 and D3 for the pc came in mind.

Answer table bed. Seriously. Same sort of thing they use in hospitals. Easy to store, very versatile. Mouse goes on that keyboard on lap as previous poster said. Sorted. All you need really to ensure maximum comfort is a controller extension cable. I picked up a brand new one on ebay for around £40.

Going to order one of these adapters, they will definitely be in demand.