Quantcast

Keyboard interface error on boot up

bobturbo

Standard Member
All of a sudden I get a keyboard interface error on boot up. I have a PS2 keyboard. I am pretty sure that it is not the actual keyboard as I have tried another one and get the same error. The keyboard does not function at all so I cannot press F10 to get into the BIOS etc to see if anything has gone wrong there. There is no functionality in the keyboard whatso ever - any clues ?
Thanks

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Have you tried a usb keyboard instead ? If that works then you can just forget about the PS2 interface as the problem is probably with that part of the motherboard.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi John
Thankyou for your reply. I have used a USB keyboard but on boot up I still get the keyboard interface error.It says press F1 to resume which takes you into the BIOS setup .The only way to get windows to start is to select exit then select discard changes without saving. Although it works it's a bit of a pain. I guess that on boot up the bios still points to the PS2 keyboard and I cant find a way to disable or change that.
BR
Bob

HMHB

Distinguished Member
There's probably an option in the BIOS to ignore all errors, I would be tempted to set it to ignore keyboard errors.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi John
Thanks again for the reply. Might sound a strange question but could you point me in the rough direction where I may find this option in the Bios as I have not seen an option like that, but to be honest I have not been specifically looking for it .I will have a dig around tonight
Cheers
Bob

HMHB

Distinguished Member
It depends on the BIOS, but mine on one of my computers is in the boot section. There's an option called "Halt On" and I've got mine set to "All but keyboard" which means the bootup will stop for any other errors but not keyboard errors. I have this set so I can boot up without a keyboard being present if need be.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Once upon a time, long, long ago, PS2 ports were protected by a sub-miniature fuse on the motherboard. Don't know if they still do but that may be worth a look. If neither PS2 keyboard flashes it's LEDs on power up, that could be the problem.

If you're happy with USB instead then John's suggestion of switching off Halt On Errors is the way to go.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi Crocodile
I did notice that the 3 L.E.D's do flash on the keyboard when I plug the PS2 connector in so there is some power outputting from there. I looked around in the BIOS last night and did what John mentioned but there is no option to do what he suggested in the BIOS so I am a bit stuck now .I will have to put up with it I guess or give it a good bash with my sledge hammer and buy a new one
Cheers

Synchro

Daft question time. You haven't had your keyboard in the mouse port have you? Gotta ask.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi Synchrouk
Might seem a daft question but these things do happen :O) No unfortunately not - I wish that that had been the problem though
Cheers
Bob

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'd be amazed if there wasn't an option in the BIOS for the "halt on" errors. If you know what BIOS you have and what version it may be worth searching for that version's options and descriptions of said options in Google or something. Or maybe post your BIOS type and version here ?
I'm sure I remember seeing this option years ago in BIOS so I don't think it's a new feature.

bobturbo

Standard Member
Hi John
This is the information on the BIOS screen :- V02.54 copyright 1985-2004 American Megatrends inc. BIOS rev. 3.10 11/12/04 Core version 08.00.10 BIOS I.D. :- 63-0310-000000-00101111-111204-1915-A0005055
Hope that helps
BR
Bob

Top Bottom