Kew Gardens...what lens ?

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now I could take my camera bag...or my TZ10...or an X10 but I want to use my A580 and can't decide to take my 90mm macro which covers macro of course and most bases for flowers, plants and does a reasonable job of general scenes. Or take my 16-105 mm which will cover everything as well but for any detailed macro work will fall short.

Yes...I could take both and I guess thats the obvious answer but if I had to take just one....which one ?

Whichever you take, you'll end up wanting the other, so take both!

If you absolutely had to take just one, I guess it would be the 16-105 - while it can't do 1:1, it is almost 1:4, which should be 'good enough' for plants & flowers (though the Tamron 90 would be better). Trying to do the reverse, and getting far enough back with the Tamron to cover the FOV of a 16mm would, on the other hand, be a long walk!

I know...

I had a play the other day in my garden with the 90mm. It handles "landscape" general shots very well and is pin sharp. But anything , say around, 6ft away means you have to step back. but again it always take pin sharp pics that if required crop well.

Or I could just get a Fuji X100 (35mm equiv) fixed prime and be done with it but it is an opportunity to use my DSLR in the "real world" of an enclosed environment. 18 months ago I would have just had my Canon Ixus and this wouldn't have been an issue...sigh !

Last edited:
You'll definitely want wide angle. There are plenty of lovely views to be had at Kew as well as the plants...

Edit: I'd actually take a telephoto too myself for the wildlife...

Last edited:
Nice shot...the kind I like when I see them. What you and Faldrax say makes sense. never thought about the telephoto bit and i suppose I could stick my Minolta 100-300 in the bag and take my 16-105 as my two lenses

Nice shot...the kind I like when I see them. What you and Faldrax say makes sense. never thought about the telephoto bit and i suppose I could stick my Minolta 100-300 in the bag and take my 16-105 as my two lenses
That would seem sensible unless you're really desperate for some close-up detail of the flowers and plants...

That's always an interest of mine hence the original question I suppose...not sure how many opportunities there would be for that. In some respects you can have too many closeups of stamens.....the whole flower or plant is as important. There are quite a few open gardens near where I live where I could just take my 90mm for dedicated macro shoots

Last edited:
In the end it's really down to what type of photography you want to do and only you can decide that. There are certainly opportunities for a wide range of styles of photography at Kew...

Hold on a mo...what two ? :facepalm:

LX7...nah.....might take my TZ10 as a back up though :thumbsup:

Now , see, I could have saved myself a whole bunch of time here :facepalm::rotfl:

I may well do that :suicide:

Or the 16-105 and the 100-300 or the 16-105 and the 90mm or.......................................................:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

See if you went Nikon like I suggested last year, you could have brought that lovely 18-300 :p

But oh the the shame to be seen in public with the Nikon hanging around my neck. Especially as in Japanese..."nikon" means "unclean"...and the shutter sounds like a bell :facepalm::eek::rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom