KettleBell's

djcla

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was looking to buy a kettlebell for a 16 year old lads birthday anyone have much experience with them on things leke best make / ones to go for and a good weight?

I use them a lot at the gym but have never purchased one for myself.

I'd say you probably want to look at something in the region of 14\16KG as you don't want something to heavy or something to light as you'll be buying another one shortly after...

I think you can pick them up for about £30\£40 depending on weight..

This company look quite competitive - Fitness Superstore

Was looking to buy a kettlebell for a 16 year old lads birthday anyone have much experience with them on things leke best make / ones to go for and a good weight?

What is ya budget? If you're getting a standard kettle bell then just get the cheapest one. In terms of weight, it would depend on size and strength - how big are they?

If your budget was up to £100 of so then you can get an adjustable one, which means that you can add/take away weight to adjust over time. This works well and stops them having to be upgraded when one gets too light.

I think Kav would be your man - he is the resident kettlebell guru :)

Not sure if I'd go that far, but thanks. :)

It entirely depends on the strength of the boy you're buying for - a 16kg bell might be just right or if he's built like a tank he might scoff at it. The thing to bear in mind with kbs is it's the combination of cardio and resistance that gives you a good workout - you don't necessarily need to be lifting a massive weight to get good results. So consider his level of fitness and how strong he is, and take it from there.

To be honest I don't know what's a "correct" weight for a still-growing boy, but for reference I currently use anything from a 16 up to 32kg bell depending on the exercises. If I was to pick a happy medium that would do me for most exercises I would probably go for a 20 or 24kg bell.

It's easy to get a great workout even with fairly light bells by repping to failure, so there's no need to go OTT by getting too heavy a bell. Like all lifting, proper form is more important than heaving a heavy weight and straining something. The strength will come with the repetition if he sticks with it, and then he can move on to a heavier bell if he's into it. Gauge it yourself based on what you know of him.

Ive got a pair of 20kg ( the twins ! ) and even tho it isnt a massive weight as Kav has said the work out you get is brillant. Amazon tend to do good deals. think i paid £30 each of mine

When I got mine, I had already done over a year of weight training so I had built up considerable strength (relatively) and was choosing between 16kg and 20kg. In the end I chickened out and got 16kg and I'm so very glad that I did. Trust me, it was hard enough. For a 16 year old, I might even think about going lighter. Of course it depends on how much training he has already done and what kind of shape he is in etc.

I recall someone mentioning them getting a kettlebell very cheaply from Gumtree. So it might be worth a look on the bay and gumtree for one going locally. After all, it is just metal on a handle.

I use them a lot at the gym but have never purchased one for myself.

I'd say you probably want to look at something in the region of 14\16KG as you don't want something to heavy or something to light as you'll be buying another one shortly after...

I think you can pick them up for about £30\£40 depending on weight..

This company look quite competitive - Fitness Superstore

yeah he is quite a skinny lad so i was thinking something around 14kg would be adaquate in cast iron

Ive got a pair of 20kg ( the twins ! ) and even tho it isnt a massive weight as Kav has said the work out you get is brillant. Amazon tend to do good deals. think i paid £30 each of mine

Squat, clean and press to failure with a 20kg bell in each hand is an exhausting full-body workout just by itself! :smashin:

Ebay is good aswell , as someone just said its only metal.
Personally id avoid the plastic ones ( york make ) becuase the handles rub on the hand and hurt.
If he is only slight then 12 - 14kg would be good, as you going lighter you could probally get a pair at a reasonable price

Blitz Sport Kettlebells: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Squat, clean and press to failure with a 20kg bell in each hand is an exhausting full-body workout just by itself! :smashin:

thats my normal 20kg in each hand DEEP squat ( ass to grass as they say ) then stand and a very clean press ( no leg assisted ) once starting to struggle ill add the legs to assist the press and once the shoulders go completely ill drop one of the kettlebells and do 5 - 10 goblet style .
its a killer

yep, I go to a kettlercise class once a week and use 6kg (I'm 42 and fairly strong!) and we do 37 exercises in 40 minutes so it's more of a cv workout, but I am sweating at the end...

I've used a dumbell to do some basic swings etc and was able to use 16kg... :)

these are quite pricey but that could mean they are some of the best?

apart from the coating - there's aboluletly no difference between these and the cheapest ones you can buy imo...have a look on the likes of gum tree, ebay etc if you're prepared to buy 2nd hand...

and maybe have a look on youtube for dumbell swings - as your son could even use dumbells whilst he gets the hang of it...

just I'm all for doing things on the cheap to save a few pennies - and if it has the same effect, then why not? :)

Was sent a football kit catalogue with a recent running shoe order (?), however, flicking through it :)rolleyes:) saw some interesting things like weighted vests, lateral resistors... and kettelbells. Cardio workout for arms and upper body appeals because kind of out of sync with my well toned legs :laugh: So dive in with a purchase then chaps?

I couldn't recommend them highly enough Steven, one of the best ways to get a full body workout IMO.

yes...and I'm also a massive fan of gymnastic rings...I've got some home made made ones in my garage - and these have made me stronger than anything I've used in recent times... :)

Blimey guv'nor, just looked at online prices.
When I got mine, I had already done over a year of weight training so I had built up considerable strength (relatively) and was choosing between 16kg and 20kg. In the end I chickened out and got 16kg and I'm so very glad that I did. Trust me, it was hard enough.
Think will follow this post and park this for September spending (bought a few tickets for the ATP Masters @ o2 in Nov which has put a dent in the wallet :p)

Have a look on gumtree or equivalent Steven, there's nearly always people getting rid of them for much cheaper, and buying something like that second hand doesn't really make a difference.

kav said:
Have a look on gumtree or equivalent Steven, there's nearly always people getting rid of them for much cheaper, and buying something like that second hand doesn't really make a difference.

With the exception of my kettle bells and gymnastic ring every thing in my home setup is secondhand or free. Irons irons !!

Still not purchased a set yet but was in my local Sainsburys superstore today for the weekly shop and saw 5kg 'bells on the shelf. Fondling them it seemed to me they are quite weighty and can imagine an enhanced heart beat after a cardio session. You guys must be Michael Phelps fit to be swinging around 32kg weights :laugh:

Still not purchased a set yet but was in my local Sainsburys superstore today for the weekly shop and saw 5kg 'bells on the shelf. Fondling them it seemed to me they are quite weighty and can imagine an enhanced heart beat after a cardio session. You guys must be Michael Phelps fit to be swinging around 32kg weights :laugh:

32kg is extremely heavy for kb, definitely a weight to work up to, and not something you'd use for an entire session unless you're built like a tank.

Bearing in mind that one kb is usually held in both hands - 5kg is far too light for a male, most women I know using them use 8-12kg, dropping to 4kg if they get tired. For a man, sticking to the 12-24kg range will definitely get you results. 5kg you could probably swing all day and not feel like you've had a workout (with the exception maybe of compound exercises like shoulders, biceps etc, but IMO compound exercises are not the main focus of kbs, they're about giving you a whole-body workout).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom