1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kettle to Clover power cable

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by explicitlyrics, Nov 10, 2004.

1. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Didnt really know where to put this, but thought that the clover connection is pretty common with projectors (I think) so trying here.

Anyway Im buying a UPS for an AE700 projector. The problem I face is that the UPS only has kettle outputs - coz it was designed for PC's. The projector takes a clover leaf power input. Has anybody seen/heard of a converter? Or do I need to make it myself (which im not too keen on...)?

Thanks

PS If any of you are after a UPS, Ebuyer are doing a great self brand one that is 1000VA (30+mins for a PC) for about £70 inc VAT.

2. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't imagine such an adpater is readily available, if at all.

You'll just need a female IEC connector, or the "wireable" variety & a screwdriver :).

Coincidently, just got an APC UPS today for my PJ ;).

:smoke:

3. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
  4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ......Kramer............eating his hat..........

:D

Don't think having one of those protruding from the back of a PJ would look very good though, not to mention stressing the socket etc.

Get your toolkit out :devil: .

:smoke:

5. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    brilliant, ta

6. ZippyCat

ZippyCat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I’ve bought a couple of these in the past, and although I agree it may not be the most elegant solution, they certainly provide a level of flexibility. In an ideal world rewireable ‘fig 8’ and ‘C5’ connectors would be available from the usual suspects, Maplins, CPC, RS etc.

I agree with Kramer about socket stress, but provided the cable is supported to some extent, there shouldn’t be a problem. Obviously I don’t advocate allowing the cable to drop from the projector to the floor when connected via one of these, however neither would I advocate that anyway with the standard connector.

The colours of the adapters are a little gaudy, but you can always use some black insulation tape to wrap around if they offend.

These could certainly solve a few problems for Sanyo, Panny, Optoma & Sony owners out there!

7. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I asked this very same question a few weeks back, couldnt find anything despite a few google searches so thanks!

8. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hehe i could have sworn some1 asked it, but couldnt find it so asked again. This time ZippyCat came to the rescue :)

9. alpha10

alpha10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    It really annoys me that we can't get hold of re-wirable C5's

Hopefully someone, somewhere will find one if we keep mentioning it :lease:

Cheers

10. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Kramer,

What model UPS did you get? I'd given up on the UPS idea after getting confused reading various comments about why you shoudn't use UPS etc and am planning to go for surge protector with mains filtration if and when I get a projector.

explicitlyrics - How is the AE700 going for you anyway?

Thanks.

Zoolap

11. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,268
  12. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The AE700 is great, no noticable VB (I did spot it when i tried to make it happen in a bugs life - but since flicker adjustment I couldnt do it again). No dead pixels either.

I have got quite bad shadow (like a ghost image about 5mm to the right of main image). However I only get this when using the xbox to feed it (via component). Even more strangely, this seems to mostly vanish when i play dvd's on the xbox.. Im sure Ill find a setting somewhere...

Loving it atm anyway :)

13. lordgrey

lordgrey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this on the specification for the C5 plug - no wonder I can't find one!

The IEC 60320 C5 connectors and C6 inlets have three pins, which include a ground contact. Originally intended for use on sewing machines, this coupler is now used on laptop computers. The presence of a ground at the equipment allows designers to incorporate a high performance RFI (radio frequency interference) filter into the inlet. All C5 connectors must be molded onto cable; rewireable versions are not permitted.

Best suggestion I could make would be get an existing C5 cable, cut the mains plug off about 6 inches from the C5 plug and connect a re-wireable C14 socket on the end. Then plug in your standard C13 plug from your UPS. The join can then sit on top of the projector without putting any strain on the socket. Alternatively, you can buy a C14 to C5 adaptor from maplins, etc. but be aware of the extra strain on the socket because of this.

14. vib ribbon

vib ribbon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116