1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kettle Powercord

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by wolf, Feb 14, 2005.

1. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read an article by Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity link to whole article here recently which got me to think sometimes it is easy some people could be mislaid into believing how good some of these expensive tweaks. I wonder what are the experience with Tag’s owners here is regarding power cords. Have you felt the need to replace the 'kettle cords' as supplied in the box? More important is, what technical problem could you foresee (other then they never work) messing about with the spec one.

I had followed the auld TMA forum but not post here yet. It seems there are many key members back so value your sensible experience.

2. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My experience is if you leave out power cord it won't work :D

3. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Wolf

If you have dodgy mains wiring in your house then these cables can reduce noise. I'm currently in an older house and the Russ Andrews Kimber power cords and blocks do work. :smashin:

However....a friend of mine who lives in a newer house with decent wiring also has the RA Kimber stuff and they DO NOT make any difference at all :eek:

Some of these blocks and cables actually make the sound worse and well engineered products like TAG should be fine with the supplied cords.

At least Russ Andrew offer a 60 day money back guarentee if not satisfied, so if you are interested, give them a go

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Start the week as we mean to carry on mate.....!

Kenny.
    Old houses don't have to have duff wiring....... I'm afraid these mains cables are akin to washing an MOT failure...... :D

5. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Graham

True, but this one has :D

As I said, probably wont make any difference at all, unless they are silver wired.............. :rotfl: :devil:

6. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was enough gubbins in the TMA range to make the use of 'special' power cables redudnant.

But, they were shown to ease problems with noisy mains areas. However, for about the same cost, you could have hired an electrician to sort the problem out.

As a rule, I never, ever recommended them (which cuased a few arguments some with NON TMA retailers ;) )

7. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    :D

I always make the point of not discussing these cables when I bump into Johann at shows these days, she does sell lots of them though which I find staggering and proves she is good at her job if nothing else.... ;)

8. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you people mean when you talk about noisy mains? (Exposing myself here to further bad joke, :rolleyes: but if I don't ask then I'll never know) If I do ask an electrician to have a look at the mains it would be difficult to explain to him what is the problem at this stage other then invite him to sit and listen to a few CDs through the hifi toys then ask if he could make it sound even better. He probably do this :rolleyes: and then :rotfl: till he drop dead, if he is not a hifi geek like you lot.

9. pgilford

pgilford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a sceptic when it comes to power cables. The volts have to travel through miles of cable from the power station to reach the Tag - I don't see how upgrading the final 2 feet can improve matters - it's like upgrading one link in a chain and expecting it to be stronger. I've only heard a difference when you go the whole hog and filter out the hf noise...unless the power cable you are using is really rubbish, it shouldn't make any difference. I can't hear a difference between most power cables - I think you are better off spending money where it counts - on DP and room EQ - which really do improve things...

10. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I reckon you're right wolf, most electricians would plug a test lamp into the socket and if the right lights came on then they'd tell you to clean out your ears :D.

For houses with older electrical installations, the best upgrade would be to renew the wall socket outlet with a new 'MK' brand one. The connections inside old sockets can get corroded and loose, but the problem can be solved for less than a fiver. Expensive mains cables are pure snake oil.

11. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hey wolf,

I tried one of those expensive power cords on my kettle and it definately sounded better at the boil!!

What I can't understand though is why my tea tasted just the same.
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

12. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Guys

Having been down this route a few times generally I find that although initially these cable sound a bit better, they do rob the overall reproduction of some transparency and ‘air’. I restrict these comment to the cheaper variety and would not dream of spending many hundreds on these cables. If you wish to experiment then this may be a good starting point.

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2380/v/adc3bf88-7264-4ecf-b7b9-79c2ac8ffcde

you can keep the plugs and try different cables.

I’m currently using some old Deltec solid core, silver plated, Teflon insulated mains leads with my PPA20 – it just sounds a bit different. One of the best solutions I’ve found is the PS Audio Power Plants. These take your AC, convert to DC and back to AC, but I believe you can specify the output voltage and cycle. Although these are expensive, they could work out cheaper than a re-wire or moving house!

http://www.psaudio.com/articles/powerquestionsandanswers.asp

Paul

13. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys - finally remembered my password. :thumbsup:

Where the hell is Glenn when you need him? What is the world coming to in his absence!!!!! :devil: Power cable voodoo mumbo - my god.

Steve, Neil, Mark, Graham et al, sorry about the silence, I've changed jobs and got a nightmare firewall system to contend with. Would be ok, except for the fact that at the same time my home pc bit the dust and dies, so my mail is trapped.

I found the tea tasted the same when I changed my kettle lead aswell, but the steam on the glass window next to it appeared to be far sharper in it's image.... :rotfl:

Speak to you all soon - my 5x100R is still at Tag having packed up for the fourth time in two years, luckily 4 days before the warranty expired. Been gone for over two months now, with Tag telling my dealer the warranty had expired! Ha - a faxed copy of the receipt soon resolved that little error, but seems to reflect the feeling in here at the moment. A lot of love appears to have been lost since I last contributed.

Must dash, slave labour in the construction industry in the north again. Glad to be back though.

14. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still love you......

15. Spen69

Spen69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright Mark - hope the job search went ok. I've kept quiet for a bit, but the power cable voodoo was too much and I had to come out of hiding. Haven't got any high seas pirate stories to tell though, as I've been saving up for grown up stuff like more property rather than upgrading recently. Actually sold my second system a few months back, so only got the a/v stuff left now which has been switched off since before Xmas as my 5x100R blew it's biscuit again. I don't have enough channels to drive my active cross-overs anymore.... bugger.....

Must dash - need to order some more snake-oil to polish the feet on my kit to help image the signal better...... :D

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Then again, you could try something like a reasonably priced Eupen PC, or Van Den Hul Mainsstream, but if you hear differences/improvements, like me and many shy guys that wont admit it here, dont write back or some hard hearing guys will make fun of you... :devil:

17. Mr Yakimoto

Mr Yakimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Im with you on this topic. I gave power cords/silencers a go (I was very very sceptical) and I swear by them.

For those that say "well you would say that after spending that much cash", I had them on a trial basis. :)

18. Inotrope

Inotrope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Have a look at www.the-missing-link.net Mark has a different thought process to Russ Andrews, and the cables are of the highest quality. I have four of the power amp "orbit" cables and am very impressed! I'll be looking to them for source powercables and interconnects.
    They are also extremely well priced!!

mark

19. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies and some of the links are interesting options. As suggested by Lowrider, I would not have pursued the issue if I have not heard any audible differences. I have never give this much thought since the Tag team has assure us that they have considered most problems that are important related to power supply.

However, some one insists I try a power cord he assembled and sent it to me more as a challenge. :rolleyes: After a few days I thought there are small occasional differences. As you would, I asked the impartial other half if she could hear any as well. She said yes and could demonstrate it by allowing me to test her to a single blind comparison with these power cord against the standard issue one supplied by Tag, when connecting the DVD32R directly to the wall socket in turn. She managed to identify those 2 cords correctly, 6 out of 6 times. I wouldn’t say this constitute absolute statistical prove but does make me wonder what it the potential technical reason behind this observation. Noisy main has been suggested as a potential problem but could some one be kind enough to explain what actually this problem is so that it could be corrected more efficiently. There is always the option of trying out different brand of power cords but without real understanding what is the potential reason how could one start to find a solution? Thought the old gang might be of help and concurs Glen return to the forum is enormously desirable.

20. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The "reason" that makes the most sense to me is RF and EMF filtering, (not with electronics on the way, just wire topology and screening), but impedance and so on could also make a difference... :rolleyes:

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I wager it sounds different due to current limiting or suchlike, which I suppose means it sounds worse :devil: Gordon did a test at his Event2 and most said "oh yes we can hear the difference" and just assumed it was better, those of us that know better noticed it was leaner and less weight to the bass...... But if people prefer this who am I to argue......

Any test we have ever carried out made no measurable improvements to the sound, measuring instruments never lie...... So the conclusion might be that if you have a DP or 192R and use TMREQ (or more accurately JMREQ!), expensive mains cables are a luxury you can do without....... I remember Glenn saying once that if you loosely coil the lead that will be the right thing to help protect your equipment. EMF and RF at levels that can flood the mains and effect the sound would worry me......

22. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Could be, but then its the original cables that limit current, because I hear more bass with after market PCs... ;)

23. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I won't argue that.
    The mains cable obviously needs to be able to carry the maximium current the unit will ask for........ 2.5sq mm cable will and is a darn sight cheaper than anything from Russ Andrews.... :rotfl:

24. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :D :D :D

Shall I write this down in the feature request part from our RoomEQ party? ;)

25. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, the problem is that several 2.5mm cables I heard had "less" bass than the 1.6mm Van Den Hul... :nono:

26. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    yes, those vdh power cables have bass, audioquest wired light bulbs influence the treble and kitchen wiring with kimber takes care about the middle. I was always telling this but Glenn and few others never listened :D :D :D

27. wolf

wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was probably based on similar design as mentioned to this one as mentioned in TNT. I wouldn't say the differences are very obvious all the time with every CDs. At this stage I am more interested in the technical merit of the design. I never expect power cord have to do more then provide an AC currect. I am not going to discuss whether the sound is for better or worst at this stage as that is very subjective as Graham suggest.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/mains_e.html

Edited at 2315 hours.
    I just found out there is a long thread on DIY mains cable in the other section. Looks like most people go for the TNT weave design but not this one yet. Thanks again everyone.

28. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    As stated in my earlier reply I’ve always found there to be only minor differences when using a ‘tweeked’ mains lead. The change being neither better nor worse with the results being preferred on some material with the old lead and preferred on other material with the new. I’ve never tried to ascertain the quality of the in-coming mains supply but the room does have its own consumer unit with the socket in the room configured into two groups; those on a ring and those individually wire back to the consumer unit. Having said that currently the PPA20 has a mains lead and interconnect cable equating to 90% of its purchase price. The interconnect is a must have, but the mains cable was used because it was there already and most of the time it seems to provide a slightly if preferable sound to the stock cable but only just. If the issue is just screening then this cable doesn’t have one, but I do have a reel of self-adhesive copper tape, which one day (if I can summon up the enthusiasm, as I think time is better spent listening music rather than tweeking) I may wrap this around a standard lead to see if this has any effect.

Paul

29. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its like nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc... If you take a big pill of pure calcium you absorb almost nothing, if you take a glass of milk you absorb almost all the calcium... :rolleyes:

30. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Jeezzz, PLEASE tell me anyone here isn't going to make up mains cables using CT125..... People that write articles like that should be taken out and shot.... The recipe for disaster by non-qualified "have a go" "audiophiles" is huge not only for the hapless chap doing this but their wife/kids and others.... Although I haven't digested all the new rules on house wiring, this lark should be included.......