Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Ketchup Secretary Wars

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ethics Gradient, Jun 22, 2005.

?
  1. Yes - its common decency to do so

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  2. No - he was being petty and unsympathetic

19 vote(s)
    55.9%
  1. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    After reading a story about a Lawyer that was publically vilified for asking a Secretary to pay the £4 cleaning bill for his trousers she spilt ketchup on ....

..... I got to thinking about the fact that tbh, its damn rude to damage, dirty or spoil someones property and not offer to pay for it.

He may make alot of money, it may be a trivial amount of money and she may have just had a berievement .... but surely if he asked politely, its not his fault that the secretary was having a hard time in her private life.

I would have offered to pay there and then as the incident occured without question.
    Whats your thoughts ?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,558
    Reportedly the guy earns 150,000 a year, he can pay for the bloody cleaning himself. Stingy bastard.

Asking for someone to pay £4 for cleaning trousers when they have just lost a family member is ridiculous. A little tact and forethought might have saved this guy from losing his job.

If I accidentally spilt something on someones clothes here at work, I would apologise but would never expect them to ask me to pay for cleaning, unless it was a lot of money or the item was ruined. It's just not something that good work colleagues do.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    Just because someone earns vast amounts of money people should take responsibilities for their actions.

It would have been nice of the guy to say don’t worry love I’ll see to it but if she damaged something of his she should pay to rectify it.

4. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    from what I gather, he didn't know about the berivement ...

If someone spilt something on my clothes at work and it required dry cleaning, my view would be.

a) why should I pay for it since I wasn't the one he caused it
    b) I wouldn't actually ask ... I would expect them to offer .... and I may well decline their offer ..... but I think its rude not to offer.

I'd probably strike the person off the 'ask to come for a drink after work' list if they didn't.

.........Its probably because I'd feel guilty and offer straight away, that I would expect to show the same curtisy.

5. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Bet Bill Clinton wishes he had followed your advice .... although he certainly did pay for it in the end :D

6. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If you mess it up, you should have to pay for it. At the very least offer to do so, even if you expect to be let off.

7. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ther decent thing for her to do would have been to offer to pay for it. She complains that it was only £4, but that cuts both ways, it's also only a trivial amount for her to fork out.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    He could also afford to have his car repaired if she had driven into it and dented it, by the same token - but you wouldn't expect him to.

It is common courtesy to offer to pay for it and that would have given him the opportunity to accept or decline.

9. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see what you are saying but this kind of thing breeds the Compensation way of thinking, the likes of which is driving up insurance quotes because someone got £5k for a bruise on their arm.

10. Jenn

Jenn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,257
    And he probably worked hard for his wage, should he be expected to just throw money out of the window just because he earns a lot ?

How do people get rich ? Not by wasting money ! A pound is a pound no matter how much you earn.

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I thought about that myself - but I think common curtisy is very important. I think part of the compensation culture comes from people being disconnected from each other. Us against them. The less empathy you feel for someone - the more likely you are to feel they are competetion, a threat or someone that deserves to be fleeced for everything they have.

The more common curtisy we can show to each other, the more smiles in the street, the more doors we hold open .... the more we claw back towards a civilised and worthwhile society.

12. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, completely agree, she should have offered in the first place. Since she didn't display curtesy it was up to him to play the seemingly him bad guy. Wouldn't have happened if she had just offered.

13. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    More importantly, where in London can you get dry cleaning done for just £4 ???

I think the fact he asked for only £4 and not the full cost means he just wanted her to apologise. If he'd been really petty, he'd have asked for the full bill.

14. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hayes. Dry cleaning is only £3.50 for trousers :smashin:

15. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +394
    From the reports i read I don't know if he did ask politely. A curse e-mail and post it note on her monitor. I think I would of left it until I had the chnace to talk face to face with her. But yes, she is responsible for the £4.

16. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has he got a sauce asking for the money? If she is so broke she could pay on HP. She would soon ketchup.

Where's my coat? :blush: