Kepler 22b a brave new world , what would you ban?

Iccz

I'd ban the media from reporting on such stories as they seem to take the fact that we have a tiny amount of data on the subject then imply that it's a twin Earth that can sustain life.

The fact is we have very little data, at the moment the number of planets with confirmed life that we know of is 1. Earth.
It'll be a lot more interesting when we find more details, say bacterial life on Mars or Jupiter's moon Europa for example.

We have no idea what Kepler 22b's atmosphere is made of yet, but that hasn't stopped the media from reporting how they are. It's very unlikely there is life on the planet and it's also quite unlikely that it will be able to sustain life, at least without an atmospheric collapse.

</rant>

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
I'd ban the media from reporting on such stories as they seem to take the fact that we have a tiny amount of data on the subject then imply that it's a twin Earth that can sustain life.

The fact is we have very little data, at the moment the number of planets with confirmed life that we know of is 1. Earth.
It'll be a lot more interesting when we find more details, say bacterial life on Mars or Jupiter's moon Europa for example.

We have no idea what Kepler 22b's atmosphere is made of yet, but that hasn't stopped the media from reporting how they are. It's very unlikely there is life on the planet and it's also quite unlikely that it will be able to sustain life, at least without an atmospheric collapse.

</rant>

I'd ban pedants :p.

signs

Banned

</rant>

:rolleyes: it was meant as a light hearted post :)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
600 years at the speed of light ;)

Depends how fast youre going :p

Depends if you are on Earth or on the ship :p

Voyager is going at about 3.5 Astronomical Units per year (1 AU = earth-sun distance). At that speed you would be looking at ten million years :-/

Kebabhead

Novice Member
Would be funny if we could get there and found out the planet could not sustain life

Iccz

Depends if you are on Earth or on the ship :p

Voyager is going at about 3.5 Astronomical Units per year (1 AU = earth-sun distance). At that speed you would be looking at ten million years :-/

:D

Absolutely, when you think of a lightyear as almost 6 trillion miles, it makes you realise more the distance that it is...

Would be funny if we could get there and found out the planet could not sustain life

Funny for who? :p

Honestly though, if I could ban anything, I think it would be religion - but I don't want to start a whole religion debate here because of that.

kBm

Distinguished Member
This'll do...

Light year is a unit of distance, not time. And not speed either as someone else incorrectly stated. Light is the fastest thing in the universe, nothing can move faster than light and the speed of light is 300,000 kilometres per second (186,000 miles per second). One light year, is the distance that light (in a vacuum) covers in one year, so 186,000 miles per second for one year is about 6 trillion miles. So a planet that is 600 light years away, is 3.6 quadrillion miles away.

...a looong time. Best wait till warp drives are in production ;)

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
Honestly though, if I could ban anything, I think it would be religion - but I don't want to start a whole religion debate here because of that.

So we are agreed - ban religion and debates about religion.

What other 1984-esque ideas shall we copy? ;)

Chox1988

Distinguished Member

I was going to say the same but then i thought if i banned that what else, then i realised i probably wouldnt ban anything, the problem is the stuff i and probably other people see as problems now to enforce them could be considered dictatorial, e.g. limiting the number of kids people could have so the population doesnt skyrocket.

This thread has suddenly become very serious :D

Iccz

I was going to say the same but then i thought if i banned that what else, then i realised i probably wouldnt ban anything, the problem is the stuff i and probably other people see as problems now to enforce them could be considered dictatorial, e.g. limiting the number of kids people could have so the population doesnt skyrocket.

This thread has suddenly become very serious :D

So you would ban bans?

If I did it with my car, I'd have to top up the oil about 60 billion times

Imagine how long it would take to do that!

dc8900

Distinguished Member
£60-£100 HDMI cables recommended by certain publications :p

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Humans. We manage to cock up most things we can lay our hands on.

imightbewrong

Distinguished Member
If you think I'm travelling to another planet without my ipod touch you've got another thing coming :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
T+A launches new Caruso R music system plus optional speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Melco update adds Roon 1.8 readiness
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published