1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kenwood receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jm1, Feb 9, 2003.

1. jm1

jm1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Does anyone have any info or opinions on the Kenwood KRF-V4060D-S , apart from whats on the kenwood site?

Thanks
    jm1

2. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    jm1,

check http://www.kenwood.de/surrec_frmset.htm

a couple of points to bear in mind though.

Kenwood won't market their HIFI products in UK in the future, altough they will still have service here. This is because that they haven't managed to market to get a foothold here. Altough in the US and other European countries they are a powerful force.

Today for that kind of money, most members here including me suggest e.g. Yamaha-RX-V430RDS which can be had for £219 for both silver and black at www.hifijunkies.co.uk including ups delivery, 2 year warranty, www.superfi.co.uk or richer sounds shop, which both are selling black 430 for £199.95 or silver 5540 (with a less comprehensive remote), and where you can add for £10 a additional 2 year warranty.

Sony-STRDB780B, Sony-STRDE685B/S, Pioneer-VSX-D711
    Denon AVR-1603B/G, are all between a small step up, £220-£250 bracket and they are less equipped (although I don't know about the connections) than the Yamaha while the sound of some may be on par with the Yamaha. Marantz 4300 which I have have gone up in price and I doubt that it can be had for £240 now, most likely £270 at the lowest, so I haven't included in this group.

This is my personal opinion, so please, read other comments about these products in other treads, there are plenty of them.

But I would definitely go for Yamaha-RX-V430RDS in silver if I hadn't got the Marantz.

Wasabi.

3. dukebox_1st

dukebox_1st
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a kenwood 4060 last wed as my first AV amp. i was originally planning to get the marantz 4200 but RS were out of stock cause it was end of the line. i'm more than impressed with the kenwood. i'm no audiophile by a longshot but it sounds gd to me! easy to setup (although the manual atcually seems to b different from reality possibly becuase of firmware changes). only comment i would make though is it isn't particully powerful compared to other AV amps at the same price. if it is a releativly small room then it should b fine but anything larger and it might well struggle. if youve got any qeuestions that i might b able to anwser just post here and i'll try and awnser!
    tom

4. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I agree with dukebox_1st that Kenwood is a good brand. I have in other threads tried to promote Kenwood quite a lot, I even put a special offer thread where empire-direct were selling the 6060 (7060's sister model) for only £178, but they stopped selling it now.

According to www.pricerunner.com www.pantheronline.co.uk/ should have the 6060 for £200 (6 german tests where it is a best buy or a winner)

I wanted a 9060 but a friend of mine in Sweden bought a 9060 from Germany and got noise problems through the channels and despite being serviced the noise were still present in low volumes so he didn't recommend it for that, but he loves all the features.

http://www.hiwayhifi.com has 4060 for £167 delivered and 5060 for £192 delivered. If you want a Kenwood, go for the 5060 as it has much more for the same money that you would pay at richer sounds (http://www.kenwood.de/surrec_frmset.htm also 7 tests where it is a winner in the class or a best buy).

I probably still recommend Yamaha as it is according to British forum members (I hava also listened to it with positive opinions) a very good machine for an excellent price.

Apologies if I wobble too much.

5. jm1

jm1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Thank you all for your replies, I think the yamaha 430 looks very good, I will have look at it in the next few days.

Thanks
    jm1