1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kenwood Receiver - low DD5.1 volume

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ndenbow, Oct 28, 2003.

1. ndenbow

ndenbow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I know this equipment is getting long in the tooth, but I need to know if anyone has experinced a similar problem with either this or any other amp/receiver. I have a Kenwood KRF-V7030D.

Whenever I play a DVD (or Sky+ DD) using a DD5.1 soundtrack, I find the mix is really quiet, especially dialogue. DTS and Prologic is fine, but this is really annoying. I usually have to increase my volume by at least 10db to listen to DD5.1. My wife keeps complaining that she can't hear what people are saying.

Is this a hardware issue, or am I missing somthing here? I have tried both Optical and Coaxial (IXOS) cabling between my DVD and Receiver, but it makes no difference.

Thanks.

Nick.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Does the Kenwood have individual channel level settings for each mode (Dolby, DTS etc)? If it does, maybe the settings for Dolby are too low.

3. agendrano

agendrano
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I use the analogue connection between my DVD and receiver (say playing CD or PL II) the level is quite high as compared to DD5.1 (same as your setting +10dB to compensate). Between DTS and DD5.1, the difference should be quite small + 3 to 5 db, DD5.1 having a bit lower level than DTS.

I believe you do not have hardware problem.