Kenwood KDC-W7534U Wont Read USB HDD Folders

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Bebeto 94, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Bebeto 94

Bebeto 94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi , im getting desperate to get this working . Ive just purchased a Kenwood KDC-W7534U and a Iomega 40GB USB 2.0 HDD . For the life of me i cant get the head unit to read the folders . My PC will read the Iomega and everything on it and play the MP3 tracks etc. When i plug it into my head unit it will detect the drive but it just keeps saying "no music data" ??? I have re formatted the drive and tried again and again with just one folder in it with 10 mp3 tracks and it still wont see it . I then put a folder with about 40 tracks onto a 512 USB key and the head unit sees this ok , so in effect i have proved both the head and and drive but cant get them to work together . Would be grateful for any help from people who have got both head unit and HDD working as the Iomega HDD concerned is shipped as a bundle with the Kenwood USB head units from some internet suppliers . Cheers guys , Steve

2. Bebeto 94

Bebeto 94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    All sorted now . Mods you can delete this thread.

3. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Bebeto 94

Please can you post the solution to your problem..........even if it make you look silly :D .

I am considering the same HU with USB hard drive, and would like to avoid any problems.

4. Bebeto 94

Bebeto 94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The problem was mine , i just couldnt be bothered to read the manual fully . The USB HDD must be formatted using the Fat32 file system and not the NTFS system that XP forces you to use as the Kenwood cant read it. XP wont let you format anything over 32GB unless its in NTFS so you have to format your drive in DOS for example "formatfat32 f:" . Also stick with the Iomega 40GB or the Freecom one as these are the only 2 drives with no issues whatsoever . Some people with 60 or 80GB WD drives have many issues including waiting about 2 minutes or more for it to read the drive , the Iomega takes approx 8 seconds. I cant praise this head unit highly enough.

5. Jonson

Jonson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Bebeto94,
    How do you find this head unit to use? I am considering one, but I am concerned that with such a large amount of storage it might be really slow/painful/awkward to navigate through the files......?
    Can you just click and drag mp3 files/folders onto the hdd, or do you have to use some sort of stupid supplied software?
    Thanks,
    Jon

6. Bebeto 94

Bebeto 94

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This unit is a breeze to use . Just put all your MP3`s in to a folder and drag into the HDD as you would do on a PC . I just categorise my files into folders and away you go . Ive got the Iomega 40GB drive with about 18 GB of MP`s and it takes 7 - 8 seconds to read it . The controls are easy to use and so is locating tracks . Best unit ive bought in ages and my last one was an Alpine .

7. Jonson

Jonson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for that :thumbsup:

8. RockySpieler

RockySpieler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    The USB connection is discussed here:-

*********.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=161012&page=3

type in (no spaces) :- t a l k a u d i o

..............most strange, keeps changing to *******!!!!

Without additional power you will probably only be able to use expensive 1.8" hard drive units.