Kenwood KCA-RC700A Remote Control

Vorix

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I've just bought and istalled a new Kenwood head unit with the iPod interface in my wife's car. Used it today for the first time and it's great (£160 from Car Audio Direct for both the KDCW4531 head unit and KCAIP500 interface box, if anyone's interested).
Anyway, I was looking at the little steering wheel remote unit that Kenwood do (KCA-RC700A) but can't figure out how it works. It seems to use some sort of wireless or infra-red connection, there was a wire on the head unit loom that was terminated with a clear sort of LED-looking thing. This remote seems to have a similar thing and it's supposed to attach to the back of the steering wheel.
Is anyone into Kenwood kit or have one of these? Do I have to fish this wire out from behind the head unit so that there's some sort of direct line of sight connection?
Thanks.

Attachments

• KCA-RC700.JPG
    KCA-RC700.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 478
It simply works like any other remote - i.e u point it at the headunit.

The remote straps to the right hand side and the sender on the left, pointing at the headunit.

It is supplied with a little bracket and a sticky pad for the sender, the remote has a velcro strap which wraps round the wheel.

Being a remote it obviously needs a fairly good line of sight to the headunit, so it will only really transmit when you are driving in a straight line (give or take a few degrees!)

Hope this helps

Sam

Forgot to mention that my headunit has a sensor on it's front panel.
Yours may well have a seperate lead (not up current kenwood models) it may be a matter of routing the lead to a discrete but usable place for the remote to get a good line of sight.

Hi Sam - thanks for the info. I don't think the head unit has an obvious remote receiver, so it must be the thing on one of wires in the loom. Means I would have to route it through somewhere where it's visible. They're pretty cheap (< £20) so I may get one anyway to have a play.
Bit of an odd concept - previously I've had Sony head units with the wired remote commander that you attach to the steering column

Have a good look at the headunit as the sensor isn't very obvious, small square only visible in some lights.

A quick google says that your headunit is compatible with kenwood remotes......

I've used one of these with my old 7080 headunit for a couple of years now ... its great ! :) I'm pretty sure (as MN says) that practically all kenwood receivers work with their remotes, they do credit card ones too ... the two systems are cross compatible. The remote comes with a set of sticky pads and a plastic mount to be placed on the rear side of the wheel. The main body of the plastic mount attaches to the back of the logic\button box, the 4 corners then extend further out and allow the unit to be mounted somewhere where the wheel isn't 100% flat. The IR transmitter has a small metal plate that must be fitted in the line of sight to the headunit, theres about 20cm of wire between the 2 from memory. My "cockpit" is quite tight, plus I'm a tall lad so if my foot is ready on the clutch my knee blocks the IR but for the most its 100% fine ... obviously no IR control going round corners :)

hi i also have a kenwood cd player and really wanna get one of these steering wheel remote controls where can i buy one???? and for how much??? do they really work? please help me i have been looking for ages! thanks x

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom