Kenwood KA 5002 help!

the beigest beige

Novice Member
I’ve had a 70s integrated solid state amp - a Kenwood KA-5002 for a while now, and it’s started playibf awful noise in the left channel. I tried to bring it to a repair shop, but they just cleaned the pots and told me it was fine. It seems like the noise is intermittent, and when the unit is first plugged in, it sometimes works perfectly for hours before an issue. I’ve tested everything I can think of to no avail. The noise is always on the left channel, and isn’t affected by volume. It plays through the headphone jack, and both A and B speaker sets. Changing the input does nothing (as does frantically hitting every button and switch). Recently the static sound has brought what sounds like random power cuts. I really like the sound of this stereo through my bookshelf speakers and my headphones, and it looks so great in my living room. I would really like to get it running again, but troubleshooting the electronics is a bit above my pay grade. Does anyone have any advice? Maybe have a clue what might be causing this sound?

JBA6

On something of that age the obvious things to do would be to go over all the solder joints with a hot soldering iron and replace all the electrolytic capacitors. The volume control would usually also be one of the prime suspects but as you say the noise is unaffected by the volume setting maybe in this case it's fine.

JB

larkone

Distinguished Member
As above - one of these would help

JBA6

Looks like a nice rebuild kit but conspicuous by their absence are any power supply capacitors which I'd definately want to replace if I were working on any kit that's approx 50 years old.

JB

larkone

Distinguished Member
@JBA6 Yes this is only an amp board kit, I suppose they work on the basis that if you are competent to fit this kit then sourcing and swapping out old power supply capacitors is within your own skill set.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom