Kenwood DNX8220BT with annoying probelm

MeganeCC

Standard Member
For some reason, everytime the sat nav interupts the music, as the instruction is finishing being spoken there's like a buzz, sounds like somebody is tapping a snare drum.

even does it on the speed warning bongs,

its getting a bit annoying..

Anybody had this, and knows how to cure the probelm

Cheers...

Bennybeanbag

Not something I've had a problem with. You could try a reset but you will need to save your settings first. All your phone settings get lost though.

jerryjal

Not had that problem myself, if I was you I would call 01923 816444, that's the Kenwood tech number. I had to call them this week as my 14 month old 8220BT developed a fault as well, my volume up button sticks every now and again meaning it goes to max volume and you can't turn it down which results in the system shutting itself down!

I called the tech number and they are arranging for it to be fixed under warranty, they have been very very helpful :thumbsup:

Off topic I know but have either of you updated your maps since buying your unit and if so have you noticed much improvement?

MeganeCC

Standard Member
Turned the system off for about ten mins earlier, and when put it back on the probelm had disappeared. Left the car outside for about 2 hours, when went out to it later. The prob was back.

Beginning to think this might be a build up of static/or the likes.

The wires are very bunched up behind headunit, would this be causing it.

The only other thing I've done which perhaps I shouldn't of is, put the ground into the ground/ earth on the multi block.

Plz give me some advice.

lags72

MeganeCC : i'd say the best advice is that already given by jerryjal above : calling the Kenwood tech support team

jerryjal - re your maps query, i am in same boat as you ! my 8220 is still running on 2008 maps, so interested to know what impropvement an update might bring (ie. over & above just showing new roads ;)) Also wondered if any other software upgrades are available /worthwhile ......

jerryjal

jerryjal - re your maps query, i am in same boat as you ! my 8220 is still running on 2008 maps, so interested to know what impropvement an update might bring (ie. over & above just showing new roads ;)) Also wondered if any other software upgrades are available /worthwhile ......

This is the map update we need Kenwood KNA-SD12E but i really don't fancy spending £130 on it, it must be cheaper somewhere else!

As far as software upgrades go, the last software upgrade was in Dec 09 and the link to it is here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/d...d=4047&product=010-00699-10&cID=205&pID=13276

Hope that helps and if you know anywhere you can get the map update cheaper then please share the info with us! :thumbsup:

lags72

jerryjal : thanks for info, apologies for delayed acknowledgment

Very naughty of Kenwood (via Garmin) to charge so much ....... and no, afraid I haven't identified any cheaper.... er... 'sources' ....looks like they've got the monopoly.....:mad:

Overall I'm still glad the 8220's mapping is not DVD-based, but perhaps this highlights one benefit of DVD maps, ie possibility of tracking down reduced price updates on fleabay etc !

btw, am sure I've read of Kenwood owners being entitled to one free map update if requested within 12 months, ie during warranty period ......?? (no longer relevant in my case anyway )

like you, not inclined to shell out £130. My 8220 is now almost 2 years old but Nav function has yet to lose its way, and everything else works fine too. Really don't think there can be too many brand new UK roads built recently ...... or indeed in near future, given dire state of our nation's coffers !

IF 2010 map has better format/presentation/interface, well personally that would be of more interest than worrying about the odd new road. Otherwise I may simply stick with original maps until whenever I change car and then get whole new system ......depending whether next car's own Nav is outdated/non-existent .....!

ref software updates : checked through the list of fixes but again, on the face of it, little relevance to my own needs so don't see any specific advantage in bothering (unless you know otherwise ....??)... although i do note that you need latest software before buying new map

better shut up now, straying badly off topic from Megane's original query :rolleyes:

jerryjal

btw, am sure I've read of Kenwood owners being entitled to one free map update if requested within 12 months, ie during warranty period ......?? (no longer relevant in my case anyway ) (nor mine)

IF 2010 map has better format/presentation/interface, well personally that would be of more interest than worrying about the odd new road. Me to!

Will just have to wait a while to see if the price comes down, like you i am running 2008 maps.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom