Kenwood DNX8220BT - SD Map update wanted

steve99uk

Hi,

I would like to update the sat nav map of my DNX8220BT to the latest version available. Can anyone suggest where I could obtain it - other than a Kenwood dealer?

TIA

Steve

Last edited:

lags72

This seems to be a good price for a 2010 update, IF it's the correct option for the Kenwood 8220, which it looks to be (?)
Buy Cheap Garmin UK & Ireland SD/Micro Maps - Reviews UK

If you look around on the site I think there's a 2011 version too, albeit more pricey

I have an 8220 bt myself and have often thought about updating the mapping (it's Garmin-based, as I'm sure you know) Haven't bothered as yet, mainly because I do a fairly low annual mileage and my factory-loaded maps (either '07 or '08, can't remember) have always got me to where I need to go - so far!

If you do go ahead and buy can I ask you to report back in true guinea-pig fashion on the process (hopefully straightforward) & end result (hopefully successful!) ?

Cheers :smashin:

jerryjal

This seems to be a good price for a 2010 update, IF it's the correct option for the Kenwood 8220, which it looks to be (?)
Buy Cheap Garmin UK & Ireland SD/Micro Maps - Reviews UK

If you look around on the site I think there's a 2011 version too, albeit more pricey

I have an 8220 bt myself and have often thought about updating the mapping (it's Garmin-based, as I'm sure you know) Haven't bothered as yet, mainly because I do a fairly low annual mileage and my factory-loaded maps (either '07 or '08, can't remember) have always got me to where I need to go - so far!

If you do go ahead and buy can I ask you to report back in true guinea-pig fashion on the process (hopefully straightforward) & end result (hopefully successful!) ?

Cheers :smashin:

I too have have a Kenwood DNX8220BT and have been thinking about updating the map on the unit.

The one that you mention above is NOT for the 8220 as it is UK & Ireland only where the 8220 uses the European map.

I have however found the 2012 map update for the european map but it seems very cheap, I would maybe like people's thoughts on it before I go ahead and purchase it.

Here is the link Garmin City Navigator Europe NT 2012.10 SD card LAST For Sale please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Jerry

steve99uk

I'm sure that this will not work in the Kenwood. It's also for sale on eBay and the ad specifically says that it will not work on Kenwood units - search for 'Garmin City Navigator EUROPE NT Map Card 010-10680-50'

I cannot find it anywhere less than about £120.

If anyone would be prepared to share the cost I would be happy to buy it and then pass it on (PM me).

Steve

Last edited:

lags72

Hi there - okay I was mistaken with my original link, sorry .... yes I see now that it's only for UK & I maps (tbh, UK coverage is all I would need myself, although I suspect you cannot update the pre-loaded European-wide mapping with a UK-only map ....)

However - on the same site - I have since found this and wondered if it would do the job ?
Buy Cheap Garmin City Navigator European SD/Micro Maps - Reviews UK

You'll see that there is a 'device compatibility' chart (click here it says) on the site but I can't seem to get the necessary confirmation re Kenwood 8220 by following the link

Given that the site sells a such wide range of (premium brand) products I can't believe they would want to misrepresent their maps, it would ultimately be bad for business surely - plus it's a good price if genuine. So I was going to call them and check, but phone line closed 5.30 today - and apparently not avl Sat & Sun

I would consider sharing costs BUT wondered whether the SD card is coded/protected in some way to allow 'one-time only' or single user download .... ????

steve99uk

I would consider sharing costs BUT wondered whether the SD card is coded/protected in some way to allow 'one-time only' or single user download .... ????

I can't believe that they could/would that type of protection on an SD card with a map update. Perhaps it has some form of protection so as not to allow copies to be made but I dont want to that.

I would physically get an SD card and I'm sure that I must be allowed to do multiple updates in case of problems etc.

Steve

lags72

I suspect/would like to think you're right there (and please understand that I'm certainly not top of the league when it comes to technical matters .... ! :()

In fact in return for any 'shared cost' agreement, I'd be looking in principle for an assurance from, say, yourself that the update had worked okay in your own 8220 + some guidance on the process involved

One other point ..... I understand that these same updates are available in DVD version (either read by the system itself when the disc is 'played' in the Kenwood unit or instead transferred by PC) and wondered as to the comparative merits vs an SD download ....? Like I said, this is not really my forte ....!!

steve99uk

In fact in return for any 'shared cost' agreement, I'd be looking in principle for an assurance from, say, yourself that the update had worked okay in your own 8220 + some guidance on the process involved

One other point ..... I understand that these same updates are available in DVD version (either read by the system itself when the disc is 'played' in the Kenwood unit or instead transferred by PC) and wondered as to the comparative merits vs an SD download ....? Like I said, this is not really my forte ....!!

Happy to give you an assurance and would only pass it on if it worked for me. The manual on P.26 implies that it's only an SD update that is available for the unit.

I will PM you my email address.

Steve

jerryjal

I would certainly have been interested in sharing the cost for the latest update however I'm sure that I have read somewhere that the sd card has to be left in the unit for it to work.

I may be wrong but it was my gut reaction when I first read your suggestion, I think this is how they make sure that you can only use it on one device.

steve99uk

I would certainly have been interested in sharing the cost for the latest update however I'm sure that I have read somewhere that the sd card has to be left in the unit for it to work.

I may be wrong but it was my gut reaction when I first read your suggestion, I think this is how they make sure that you can only use it on one device.

Not sure about that :confused:

I need to update for speed cameras and use an SD card for that every time. It just loads and then I remove it.
I will call one of the companies that sell the SD card and ask them. I wonder if anyone has updated who could advise us but at £120 or so they are probably few and far between !

wja96

Standard Member
The updates are one-time only. On the back of the pack is a big long key code that you key into a link on the kenwood website. That then give you another code that you key into the head unit and it unlocks. Once the code is used the actual DVD or SD card is useless on any other head unit.

Boro22

Is the 2012 updates out yet? I need a map update for Kenwood DNX5220BT, does anyone know where I can get this?

Boro22

Is the 2012 updates out yet? I need a map update for Kenwood DNX5220BT, does anyone know where I can get this?

anyone?

MeganeCC

Standard Member
Was that free, or did you have to pay ??

How did you go about it, got a usb connection permenantly run into glove box.

So would be very pleased to know.

Thank You..

lags72

Me too ! (I too have USB connected, ready & waiting in glovebox ....)

Please let us into the secret !

Cheers

steve99uk

When connected to my laptop via the usb I selected the Mass Storage Option that appeared on the Kenwood screen. My laptop could then see the Kenwood as a hard drive called Garmin. You may need to download usb drivers from Garmin for this to work - Garmin: USB Drivers Updates & Downloads

I then backed up the two .img files that were in the Garmin folder - gmapprom & gmapbmap.

You then need to find a newer gmapprom.img. I found one called 'Garmin CN Europe NT 2012.30 Unlocked IMG Maps'. Within this is a lot of files/maps of Europe. I just selected the UK & Ireland one. After extracting it it created a file called gmapsupp.img. I then renamed it to gmapprom.img, deleted the one in the Garmin directory on the Kenwood and then copied the new file to the directory (it is much smaller as it's only UK & Ireland). The backup can take up to 90 minutes as the files are large. I was a little nervous when deleting the original but I had a backup !

I then disconnected the laptop and switched off/on the unit. Checking the
map level it showed up as 2012.30 and Terminal 5 is on there and all works fine !

Steve

Last edited:

lags72

Many thanks for the comprehensive & clear write-up Steve, much appreciated

Having read of a number of warnings where (ahem) unofficial changes/updates/additions to functionality or data have (or can ...?) caused total system failure on these units, I must wimpishly admit that I'm wavering whilst I decide if I'm brave enough to give it a go. Then again perhaps these warnings are put about by Kenwood themselves rather than users with actual experience of troublesome incidents .....(?)

But all respect and credit to you for finding - and implementing - an innovative solution and thanks again for the swift response

Boro22

Is the 2012 map available from Kenwood yet? and does all models have rear usb?

Boro22

Boro22

so how do we go about upating map then? I got a 5220BT model. Can anyone help? Do I have to access rear usb? I thought Kenwood said update via DVD?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution