Kenwood DNX8220BT Map update

jerryjal

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there know when there will be a map update for the Kenwood DNX8220BT?

Thanks in advance jerryjal:thumbsup:

City Navigator 2009 has not long come out. Log into www.garmin.com and see if your entitled to a free update otherwise it'll cost you upwards of £60. It depends on when you registered your device if your still entitled to a free update, I was shocked that I was still entitled after having my device for quite a few months.

I was advised by my installer not to bother with the 2009 update. The actual maps (he says) aren't updated each year, only some of the functions. As the DNX8220BT came out in 2008 he suggests waiting until a 2010 map update that should have new roads etc included.

Don't know if anyone can confirm this or not?

My previous system was a Blaupunkt DX-R52, and they provide map updates every 6 months (at approx. 150 € / CD, and a CD is one country)... I only bought one update over time, because it added the codes for TMC. It was about 3 versions after my original one, but it did know a lot of changes to the roads.
My father has a portable Blaupunkt, and the points of interest are very outdated (we could tell by the lists of pharamcies by name: there were names on it from pharmacies that were taken over 10 years before we bought this portable satnav! :rolleyes:).
So my take on it is that they will update the roads as much as they can, but not necessarily the POIs... I'd get an update when there are sufficiant changes that may impact route calculation (at the moment, I've only come accross a couple of crossings that have been converted to roundabouts; so no biggie). :)

My dealer did tell me that Kenwood intends to change the presentation of the navigation data, in order to have it resemble the newer portable Garmin units. According to him this would be done by means of a map update (which seems quite impossible to me). Mind you, he is also the one who said that the 8220 has a gyro, and that the CD has to remain in the 5220 for updates, so take it with a big grain of salt. :)

Jörg

Many thanks for your answers, i think a call to kenwwod may help. Does anyone know the easiest number to get hold of the tech helpline or am i better speaking to someone at Garmin? If so what is the best number to contact them on? Thanks again

Many thanks for your answers, i think a call to kenwwod may help. Does anyone know the easiest number to get hold of the tech helpline or am i better speaking to someone at Garmin? If so what is the best number to contact them on? Thanks again

Try emailing them. They get back reasonably quickly. [email protected]

I sent 2 emails to them last month regarding the problem with the HTC Diamond phone compatibility with their bluetooth and questioned whether they intend to release a firmware which supports the phone but never ever got a reply........ lazy bunch of :mad:

well thats not my experience with kenwood...

from all email i have send them i always got an answer. are you sending it to the correct email address?

well thats not my experience with kenwood...

from all email i have send them i always got an answer. are you sending it to the correct email address?

I agree. One of the better support departments. Still I suppose they can't be perfect all the time!

Hi everyone, i recieved an email reply from Kenwood today with ref to the map update, they said that at this time there is no update available!!

I guess that answers my question!!

Many thanks to all of you that helped:clap:

Regards Jerryjal

Hi, I registered my 5220BT at the garmin few days ago and this enabled me to the free update for CNT 2009.
So if you have not registered your HU you can do it now and get it for free.

I have registered my 8220Bt on garmin today but was not offered any update, any ideas?

i've registered mine about 2 weeks ago and haven't received any kind of updates either, logged into my garmin page and still nothing

Hi, I registered my 5220BT at the garmin few days ago and this enabled me to the free update for CNT 2009.
So if you have not registered your HU you can do it now and get it for free.
Can you elaborate Lada?

I have just been informed by Garmin that I have to buy an update for my brand new 5520 :mad: :mad:

Can you elaborate Lada?

I have just been informed by Garmin that I have to buy an update for my brand new 5520 :mad: :mad:

1) you are up to date?

2) they might have changed the conditions

But as I wrote. I bought the HU in April 08 and registered in Jan 09. On the Garmin pages (my Account) I was entitled for free upgrade to NT2009.

1) you are up to date?

2) they might have changed the conditions

But as I wrote. I bought the HU in April 08 and registered in Jan 09. On the Garmin pages (my Account) I was entitled for free upgrade to NT2009.
My brand new HU came with 2008 maps. I believe that 2010 maps are available.

Nothing is available in the way of map upgrades when I connect to Garmin.

I just got off the phone to Kenwood UK (I had previously rang Garmin).

They also informed me that I am not entitled to a free update.

Needless to say I am far from impressed. I have just bought a new navigation device with 2 year old maps and it will cost me £130 to update :mad::mad:.

the last ver. is NT2009. (if I am not mistaken)

So they had to change their terms,conditions. When did you registered your HU to Garmin myAccount ?

Anyway the Garmin has some program of lifesupport for about 120€. What I have read the subsrciber should be entitled for the free upgrade time unlimited upgrades. Maybe you should investigate this.
Anyway between ver. 08 and 09 I do not see to mcu difference. I am not suprised that the new roads in Czech are not updated but I was really suprised that the German Autobahns are almost in a year old state.
Just to upgrade 08-09 I see as wasting a money but the lifesupport might be considereable.

the last ver. is NT2009. (if I am not mistaken)

So they had to change their terms,conditions. When did you registered your HU to Garmin myAccount ?

Anyway the Garmin has some program of lifesupport for about 120€. What I have read the subsrciber should be entitled for the free upgrade time unlimited upgrades. Maybe you should investigate this.
Anyway between ver. 08 and 09 I do not see to mcu difference. I am not suprised that the new roads in Czech are not updated but I was really suprised that the German Autobahns are almost in a year old state.
Just to upgrade 08-09 I see as wasting a money but the lifesupport might be considereable.
Thanks for the tip about the lifetime maps, Lada.

I may look into it but I am still annoyed that I got a new unit with 2 year old maps.

what's the latest map nowadays? is it 2012 maps now?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom