Kenwood DMX-8019DABS

152bobby

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has one of these fitted in their car, as I have a few questions, hopefully which can be answered.

Even better if you have the Kenwood DMX-8020DABS, but I very much doubt it, as this is the very latest from Kenwood and will be shipping in a week or so.

I am currently using the Kenwood DMX-7017DABS.

Thanks

Ah, great. Can you tell me more about what and how the Wireless Mirroring for Android works ? I'm trying to determine whether I need the full Wireless android auto, as on the DMX 8020DABS or if my Pixel 4 will work on a Kenwood unit that has Wireless Mirroring option.
I do understand that this may only work on mobile phone that does Mirroring.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab A that I'm trying to set in the vehicle to use Torque Pro. I have not been able to use the Wireless Mirroring because the Tab A doesn't have a function to turn on the Wireless Mirroring.
I can use the Mirroring on USB with the Mirroring on Kenwood app but i have to start it every time I start the vehicle. Is the Pixel 4 compatible with the DMX-8520DABS?

In regards to "is the Pixel 4 compatible" with your unit or the Unit i would like to buy....I don't know !!

That's why I'm throwing this out there, to see what people know.

Its currently difficult to find a place that has these units on display so that I can go in and experiment.

Is the Pixel 4 compatible with the DMX-8520DABS? Sorry. There are some unit that provide a compatibitity list but I can't find one for theDMX-8520DABS. Finding a system that is setup and doing some testing is a great idea. I wish I knew there are so many issues with compatibility between devices. I would also check out the support from the brand of head unit you intend to buy. I have been unable to find a support site for the Kenwood that I am having issues with.

Ok, following on from this. I now have the Kenwood DMX8020DABS installed, very good unit.

It supports two phones at once and has wireless Android Auto and Carplay.

We have a iPhone X and a Pixel 4 paired to it. Each time I get in the car my phone connects wirelessly no problem and I just click the Android Auto icon and off I go using Google maps. However the Carplay icon is greyed out and I'm wondering what I'm not doing.

The iPhone is connected because my wife turned on Google Maps on her phone and the voice comes through.

So basically what I need to find out, is why the Carplay icon is greyed out. I don't want to have to connect the cable each time, this does work, but this is the latest wireless unit, so I want to use that option.

Any ideas.

Ok, following on from this. I now have the Kenwood DMX8020DABS installed, very good unit.

We have a iPhone X and a Pixel 4 paired to it. Each time I get in the car my phone connects wirelessly no problem and I just click the Android Auto icon and off I go using Google maps. However the Carplay icon is greyed out and I'm wondering what I'm not doing.

The iPhone is connected because my wife turned on Google Maps on her phone and the voice comes through.

So basically what I need to find out, is why the Carplay icon is greyed out. I don't want to have to connect the cable each time, this does work, but this is the latest wireless unit, so I want to use that option.

Any ideas.
Hi there. Did you fit yourself? My warning screen comes on all the time I start the van. Surely this can’t be right?

No it was fitted professionally. The warning sign that pops up each time on starting the vehicle cannot be deleted altogether. As far as my research on trying to find more about this, it will always show for the designated time, something like 10 seconds. Unless someone knows a hack of some kind !!

No it was fitted professionally. The warning sign that pops up each time on starting the vehicle cannot be deleted altogether. As far as my research on trying to find more about this, it will always show for the designated time, something like 10 seconds. Unless someone knows a hack of some kind !!
Ah ok thanks

Any ideas.

Although they advertise that the unit supports two phones and it has Apple Play and Android Auto there is nowhere that is states they can be used at the same time. In fact in your case if you find that Apple Carplay icon greys out when you start Android Auto if you go to setting a select the phone that is linked to Apple Carplay and start it working again Android Auto will be greyed out. Give it a go, you can switch from one to the other all day but you can't have both of them working at the same time. That's the information I was given by Kenwood Support. If this information was clearly shown in their advertising or on the boxing I would have never purchased this unit. Let me know if you have any better success than me.

I knew prior to purchase that two phones could not be used at the same time. The main phone used in the car is my android, with the android icon activated on the screen with the iPhone icon greyed out. We have determined that to get my wife to use her iPhone when mine is connect wirelessly, she needs to use the cable. If I'm not in the car and my android is not in range, her iPhone will connect wirelessly when she pressed the iPhone icon....I think !!! We tried so many things and I can really remember, because, as I said, it's my android that's used the most. It's not as streamlined as I would like it. I would like it if both icons on the screen where active and you just press whichever one you want and you can switch back and forth, but I can't get both icons to stay active. I know they can be both active, as I done it. Just a bit confusing, luckily my android is the main phone used and when my wife uses the car, she uses the iPhone cable anyway. There is not one video anywhere on YouTube showing anyone switching between a iPhone and a android, I think the reason for that, is because it's not that easy !!

I have the Kenwood DMX-8020dabs in my car.

I use Android Auto wirelessly, is there a way for when my Google Pixel 5 automatically connects to the headunit, that it opens up Google Maps on the screen as default? I

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom