Kenwood Car CD player advice

Fugglesworth

Novice Member
We have an old Kenwood Kdc-4080r Cd Player/radio (the type with the detachable front panel). Sometimes it works for hours with no problem. On other occasions the CD player behaves very unreliably, spitting CDs out, making sort of 'thud' sounds etc. We thought it might be damp weather that causes the problems and on longer journeys when the car has warmed up and in dry conditions the player works fine. How do we know whether it's the actual unit that we need to replace or whether it's the wiring and contacts behind? In short, do we need to replace our CD player/radio?

AMc

Distinguished Member
Spitting out CDs suggests the power wiring is fine but the unit has had enough.
Thuds (?) through the speakers could be the unit or the wiring. If the CD drive itself is making thuds then that sounds mechanical.
A cheap fix might be to try one of the CD lens cleaners before you junk the unit. If the CD is being ejected because the unit can't read it when inserted.

Fugglesworth

Novice Member
Thanks for the advice. The odd thing is that, as I said, there are periods when there are no problems with whatever CD we play so it does not seem to be dirty CDs or a dirty lens. Is it worth just replacing the front panel (as found one on ebay)? Don't want to do that if the whole unit needs replacing. Wierd that we have those long periods when everything works perfectly.

AMc

Distinguished Member
Quick check on eBay and you can buy front panels for £9.99 each or the complete used unit for £30. If you can just buy the front panels then it makes me wonder what kind of theft deterrent they are?

If it were mine I'd replace the unit with something newer. It should be pretty straight forward - you'll just need the "keys" to slot out the main unit.
You might need an ISO adapter if the wiring on a modern Kenwood uses a different block or you swithc to a different manufacturer.
£55 will get you a CD player with USB and Android support
£90 if you wanted Bluetooth

Other brands are cheaper

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom